joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 11th-12th storm system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS still has advisory to high wind warning criteria winds in the warm sector.  As I mentioned yesterday, this is often a region where mixing is more limited and you have a harder time bringing those very strong winds to the surface (compared to a CAA regime) but this would be an instance where it could happen if the surface low/resultant wind fields end up like this.

If this storm crosses the Marquette MI area with a pressure lower than 982mb, then it will be an analog for the Edmund Fitzgerald storm with lower pressure. It will most likely not surpass the winds the Fitzgerald had.

For the Fitzgerald, "Modeled winds suggest gusts between 70-75 knots (80-86 mph / 129-138 km/h) and waves to 25 ft (7.5 m). (The model simulation of the event was undertake by NOAA using the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory Wind-Wave Model.) It is of note that the Fitzgerald went down at the time and place shown by the model simulations to have the worst wind/wave conditions in that area."

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/events/fitzgeraldstorm.htm

Ehh if you have weak instability and such strong shear you need some pretty strong forcing to get organized convection, as the strong shear will rip apart updrafts that form from the meager instability...I think this was discussed some in the thread for the last system. Although yes at the end of the day we have seen some decent events with little CAPE when forcing has been strong enough. I'm not sure if you're from near Ohio State, but the Halloween 2013 event from that area is a good local example...even had a couple of tornadoes with that in central Ohio too...although I think the best with this one is mainly west of Ohio if it pans out like the recent GFS and Euro runs show.

I'm glad you pointed out forcing because it seems to never be as simple as "shear will overcome" or "no, you must have instability".  This past week was a great example of junk surface convergence and poor height falls.  With such strong surface forcing and much better height falls on this upcoming storm, I would expect less instability to be necessary.  But I've been disappointing too many times to believe in the "you only need shear" idea.  This may be a case where the required CAPE for a decent risk of damaging winds is quite low though.

This could me major for Eastern Missouri:

gfsUS_con_scp_102.gif

The GGEM is always tamer.

I haven't found that to be the case.   There's times when it's really aggressive and times where it's not.

Before its most recent upgrade, the GGEM would usually be the model with the unrealistically aggressive solutions. 

I'm not sure instability is as much as a limiting factor as many are making it out to be here. Halloween of 2013 hardly reached 100 J/kg along the line yet nearly 350 winds reports still came in. As of right now, this system is more dynamic, deeper, and the GFS already is indicating at least 100 J/kg across the northern potions of the squall line. And that's the GFS...I wouldn't be surprised if the NAM gets us up to 250-500 J/kg which would be legit moderate risk territory. Even then, the system is still 5 whole days out.sbcp_20131101_0300.gifgfsCGP_con_sbcape_108.gif

Oh yeah, I know... 2013-14 was full of these events. 

I remember the models progging a zone of like 500-750 J/kg MLCAPE back then.  That MLCAPE of 1500 on that ILN sounding is surprising.

Yeah, like I said, given the temp profiles... I don't think that's legit. It doesn't look like there's much CAPE in that sounding

Oh yeah, I know... 2013-14 was full of these events. 

Yeah, like I said, given the temp profiles... I don't think that's legit. It doesn't look like there's much CAPE in that sounding

I guess I should clarify what I said earlier.  I'm not 100% sure it was MLCAPE...may have been MUCAPE...all I remember is seeing maps with like 500-750 J/kg.

Here is the MCD image from the time when they were about to issue a tornado watch for MI with the MLCAPE overlaid

mcd2001.gif

Ok, then it's probably MUCAPE that I was remembering.  In any case, another example of how the instability bar is lowered to get a pretty decent severe weather outbreak when you have such highly dynamic systems. 

Actually kinda scary to think about the potential if we combined, say, 1000 J/kg CAPE with these kinematics.

post-14-0-40041400-1446927686_thumb.png

ILN

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE EMBEDDED IN SOUTHERN STREAM TO LIFT NORTH INTO
THE GREAT LAKES ON TUESDAY. WILL END LOW CHANCE POPS OVER THE EAST
EARLY TUESDAY WITH THIS FEATURE MOVING OUT AND WEAK SFC HIGH
PRESSURE BUILDING IN. TEMPERATURES WILL BE AROUND 5 DEGREES ABOVE
NORMAL TUESDAY WITH HIGHS FROM NEAR 60 NORTH TO THE MIDDLE 60S
SOUTH.

THE MID LEVEL FLOW AT MID WEEK WILL BE CHARACTERIZED BY HIGH
AMPLIFICATION WITH DEEPENING UPPER LEVEL LOW LIFTING NE THRU THE
PLAINS INTO THE UPPER MS VLY AS 130 KT UPR LEVEL JET ROTATES AROUND
ITS EAST SIDE. DEEPENING SFC LOW PRESSURE TO LIFT NE FROM THE PLAINS
WED MORNING INTO THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES BY THURSDAY MORNING.
NUMERICAL MODEL SOLNS HAVE TRENDED SLOWER WITH ONSET OF
PRECIPITATION. EXPECT WED TO REMAIN DRY THRU MOST OF THE DAY WITH
PCPN DEVELOPING WED NIGHT AHEAD OF STRONG COLD FRONT. ON WARM SIDE
OF SYSTEM EXPECT WEDNESDAYS HIGHS TO BE CLOSE TO 10 DEGREES ABOVE
NORMAL...RANGING FORM THE LOWER/MID 60S NORTH TO NEAR 70 FAR SOUTH.

HIGH SHEAR LOW CAPE EVENT MAY DEVELOP LATE WED NIGHT/EARLY THURSDAY
WITH SHERB PARAMETER POINTING TOWARD THIS SIGNAL. 70 KT 850MB LOW
LEVEL JET HELPS ADVECT PW PLUME APPROACHING 1.5 INCHES NORTH INTO
THE REGION AHEAD OF THIS FRONT WED NIGHT. GIVEN VERY STRONG
DYNAMICS...STRONG WINDS WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS EVENT. HAVE
INCREASED POPS TO CATEGORICAL FOR THIS PERIOD.

ILX

This next weather system will develop in the southwest and then move
out into the plains Tuesday night and then move northeast across the
midwest and up into WI by Wednesday night. All models have come into
much better agreement with the track and timing of this weather
system. With the return flow and southerly winds coming Tue into
Tuesday night, looks like warm air advection showers will develop
and move across the CWA Tues night. Then on Wednesday, the low
pressure area and trailing cold front will move out of the plains
and through MO...toward IL...Wednesday afternoon and into the
evening. Dewpoints in the CWA should reach into the middle 50s,
while 60 dewpoints will not be that far away, just southwest of the
area. This system also promises to be strong dynamically with a strong
mid level jet out of the southwest and a good southerly jet as well.
Models forecast the system becoming negatively tilted in IL during
this time frame so am expecting strong thunderstorms in the area
beginning Wednesday afternoon through Wednesday evening. SPC has
already hinted at the possibility of severe weather on Wed and based
on the strong dynamics and sufficient moisture being forecasted,
fully agree with their forecast. Know it may be too early to
mention, but Nov is our mini-max period for tornadoes, and many
significant outbreaks have occurred in Nov...most recently the
Washington tornado from 2013. So, is severe weather possible on Wed
in the CWA...yes. What types of severe weather could we
see...damaging winds and possibly tornadoes.

Something I'd look for is just how fast this system begins to occlude.  Occluding systems definitely are not always a dealbreaker for severe weather, but given the time of year and the fact that we won't already have good moisture in place at these latitudes prior to this system, it would not help.  

Archived