joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange, I had a good 30 plus minutes of sleet and freezing rain before going over to snow and I'm in boone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what part of boone are you in? I had snow and sleet but no freezing rain. And it is coming down pretty good right now 

Just under 3 inches. Noticed gsp zone forecast has total snow of 6-10. Unless we have serious mixing, seems like we should do that easily. Maybe more info when they do the afd and the point forecast. It does look like they are hitting on a period of freezing rain later today.

Their 1:49 am forecast map still got us at 12-13". I think we're heading for that.

Yeah. Maybe the 6-10 was just for the forecast period and not counting what has already fallen. I will look for the new wsw statement and the point forecast. Either way, we didn't get shut out so I am happy. I would like to see double digits though. :)

We were supposed to get 2-4" through the night. We're doing well with that so far :)

Looks like there was a change over to heavy snow a little before 2 AM in the town of Balsam per webcam animation with several inches. It appears total precip less than some of the models were showing but likely more uniform. (Highest report I saw was 5" over Southern Jackson County at 5 AM) Models still show a crazy jackpot bonanza snowfall to hit N. Virginia but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make over there to see it.

Note that the cold air really poured in at all levels overnight.  Even the mountain top locations have dropped into the teens!  In general, a strong upslope flow out of the SE should generate some enhancement along the escarpment before a calm develops mid-afternoon due to the effects of the UL.  At this point, some localized convective bands could come into play almost anywhere.

Archived