• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been an abnormally strong PV for almost the last year which has prevented us from getting in on the real cold that dominated the great lakes and North east for the last 2 seasons. El Nino was the main factor in this happening with such a strong Pac Jet. But with it weakening it is opening the door for more normal winter conditions. It's not a complete SSW but it definitely splits in the ensemble means.

gfstemps-300x188.jpg

10mb-300x193.jpg

gfs384-1-300x185.jpg

I got excited but just finished the ESPN special about the Bills on 30 for 30 and got really depressed again. ^_^

Meh don't get me started with the bills.. btw black ice is going to create havoc for the morning commute, it was already getting icy while i was out half hour ago.

The GFS has been showing a nice prolonged WSW flow for Friday next week into Saturday for 4 runs now let's see if it holds lol

GLOBAL MODELS REMAIN IN GOOD AGREEMENT THAT THIS STRONG LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM WILL USHER IN A PATTERN CHANGE BACK TO COLDER TEMPERATURES.

ON THE HEELS OF THE DEPARTING LOW... 850 MB TEMPERATURES TO AROUND

-15C MOVES ACROSS THE LOWER GREAT LAKES IN A MEAN CYCLONIC FLOW.

LAKE EFFECT SNOWS WILL INCREASE EAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES

THURSDAY. MODEL DETAILS DIVERGE AFTER THURSDAY... BUT BOTH GFS AND

EC SUITES KEEP A FLOW OF COLDER AIR IN PLACE WITH SEVERAL WAVES

TRACKING THROUGH THE REGION. THE BOTTOM LINE SHOULD BE A PROLONGED

STRETCH OF LAKE EFFECT SNOWS EAST OF THE LAKES THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

GLOBAL MODELS REMAIN IN GOOD AGREEMENT THAT THIS STRONG LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM WILL USHER IN A PATTERN CHANGE BACK TO COLDER TEMPERATURES.

ON THE HEELS OF THE DEPARTING LOW... 850 MB TEMPERATURES TO AROUND

-15C MOVES ACROSS THE LOWER GREAT LAKES IN A MEAN CYCLONIC FLOW.

LAKE EFFECT SNOWS WILL INCREASE EAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES

THURSDAY. MODEL DETAILS DIVERGE AFTER THURSDAY... BUT BOTH GFS AND

EC SUITES KEEP A FLOW OF COLDER AIR IN PLACE WITH SEVERAL WAVES

TRACKING THROUGH THE REGION. THE BOTTOM LINE SHOULD BE A PROLONGED

STRETCH OF LAKE EFFECT SNOWS EAST OF THE LAKES THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

Nice and btw i like how the GFS has the polar vortex split in half for late next week, things are definitely starting to look more interesting..

npst30.png.2ab4f407f2f519cc33ed7018c2a36

Nice and btw i like how the GFS has the polar vortex split in half for late next week, things are definitely starting to look more interesting..

npst30.png.2ab4f407f2f519cc33ed7018c2a36

This statement definitely makes sense with that split. "SEVERAL WAVES

TRACKING THROUGH THE REGION." Lake Erie is up to 34 degrees, once it hits 32 usually takes 2 weeks or so to completely freeze with constant cold.

The (hopefully) new pattern starting at the end of this week needs to produce.  BUF is siting at about 27" for the season - need to double that just to avoid a top 10 least snowiest winter: http://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10#Annual

The northeast end of L. Erie was wide open as of yesterday, and the inner harbor only had about 50% ice cover.  Nevertheless, still a wintery appeal in downtown BUF last night around the ice rink.  

post-1195-0-89224500-1454254605_thumb.jp

post-1195-0-33583900-1454254677_thumb.jp

The (hopefully) new pattern starting at the end of this week needs to produce.  BUF is siting at about 27" for the season - need to double that just to avoid a top 10 least snowiest winter: http://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10#Annual

The northeast end of L. Erie was wide open as of yesterday, and the inner harbor only had about 50% ice cover.  Nevertheless, still a wintery appeal in downtown BUF last night around the ice rink.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0488.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0492.jpg

Awesome pics Bumble! I'm not as high on the LES as I was earlier this week. I think there is going to be quite a bit of dry air and with each run there is less and less cold. There is definitely opportunity there though.

Yeah not to impressive at all with regards to the lake effect potential in the 5-10 day period, still early so there's hope but like BuffaloWeather said each run is looking less and less conducive for any significant lake effect and I agree that the best synoptic potential over the next 1-2 weeks will be over eastern areas. After 2 weeks I believe the pattern returns to the warmth that most of this winter has featured. Think we may have a sneaky late season snowstorm that gets BUF to near 50" but I think between now and the end of March/early April, BUF struggles to reach 40". A dud of a season for sure, but that's definitely to be expected after the last two.

Archived