• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July Pattern and Disco- Shut Up and Dew With Me

Damage In Tolland

I take my daily max/min ob every AM between 6:30 and 7AM.  The values are recorded on that day so being the 31st, today is the last ob for the month.  Most coop stations do it that way (7a-7a) and since I started that way I still do it that way.  That means that any comparison I do to past years is the same.

Ah ok. I think the big 4 do it midnight to midnight right?

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must be shaded or something as the lapse rates are always very steep haha. For those guys to hit 90F at 1,000ft, it seems like it's gotta be upper 90s to 100F in the hot spots near sea level.

They strike me as having properties that would have an easier time seeing high temps prior to full green up. Like 80s in a late April or early May hot spell, but then struggles to get much hotter than that all warm season once the leaves come out.

Deep woods FTW or FTL? No sun back here till 10:00

3D79A36D-8675-412A-A70D-B63E94E3AE85_zps

35C8D9C1-7DE8-477E-9A95-881A096D4B18_zps

Yes the trees and woods keep it much cooler. I don't get sun until after 10:00 in the yard. This time of year the front get s a lot of sun in the PM..but it's shaded in the back by 3:00. 90 is easier to hit with no foliage

I always wanted to have simultaneous pics taken at sunrise and sunset on the elevated open field plains in Sterling and my house.. They get sun from sunrise to sun down. Having a somewhat accurate car thermo, its not uncommon in late afternoon around 6-7 to leave my house at like 83 degrees or so  and drive to there and read 88 or so.  Knowing that this is not air mass itself related but rather microclimatic stuff, having the car thermo is great. This past winter I took a weenie drive and noted temps at different elevations in a small 5 mile radius, was really surprised at the differences due to radiation first thing in the AM under deep snow and light winds. Weenie stuff for sure but explains a lot of the snow depth days differences in location.

For a drought that is a green ass lawn and don't tell me its your watering because its uniform and the non grass vegetation is lush.

I have been watering deeply for the last 3 weeks. The back does not get more than a few hours of later morning-early afternoon sun

Those pics show you why my dews run higher..Woods are a dews best friend

I have been watering deeply for the last 3 weeks. The back does not get more than a few hours of later morning-early afternoon sun

Those pics show you why my dews run higher..Woods are a dews best friend

For sure, localized stuff not airmass related as has been stated.

They must be shaded or something as the lapse rates are always very steep haha. For those guys to hit 90F at 1,000ft, it seems like it's gotta be upper 90s to 100F in the hot spots near sea level.

They strike me as having properties that would have an easier time seeing high temps prior to full green up. Like 80s in a late April or early May hot spell, but then struggles to get much hotter than that all warm season once the leaves come out.

My station was off-line for a while this spring, but I just did a check from April 1 - May 15 last year and for the same period in 2013.  During those time periods, I hit 80* once last year (May 12) and nonce the year prior.

Not that they're terribly accurate, but my car thermometer is in sych with that as well as other locations where I'm driving per the stations in those areas.

That's certainly true around me.

I know that for me topography also plays a role in that I have a hill to my west and a lot of times my yard is shaded by 4PM in the summer so its never baking in the sun as long as a station that is fully open all day so I avoid those late day maxes. That's representative of my area so it's not like the temperatures are unrealistic. Like Ginx said, we have homes surrounded by forest and the forest is cooler than larger open areas where we don't live.

Yeah here on the east side of the Spine we have quite a bit of that....but we do have a lot of folks in VT that live in wide open areas, like a grassy knoll on a hill or something. Of course there are also houses deep in the woods with no view of anything but dense woods.

Down in Woodstock, CT I know there are definitely homes in deep forest but also a lot of old stately homes up on grass fields and hills. I remember going through Union and seeing homes with huge open areas around them.

But then you have homes like Blizz's pics where it's basically impossible to get a 40-degree diurnal swing with those trees.

Watch the dew drop inn, PSF 59 ALB 58 we start the rooster crowing, afternoon should be delightful as dews drop below 60

Things should really dry out this afternoon.  I think there is a lot of residual moisture around right now from the rains last evening.  I don't think it will be just VT with DP's in the 50s come evening.

They are ravenous. We had a couple calls tonight asking the official definition. I mean PWM barely averages over 3 days in a calendar year.

Such is life though, we call blizzards so because a site or two reaches criteria when the vast majority of the population away from the Tarmac and coast never see anything close to it.

Totally agree with the boldfaced.  In 42 years living in Maine, I can recall about 4 snow events which met wind/visibility thresholds during the storm.  (3/81 and 4/82 in Ft. Kent, 12/6-7/03 and probably last Jan 27-28 in New Sharon - I was in SNJ but neighbors' descriptions support Blizz cond.)  In Ft. Kent we probably met blizz cond. 2-3 days in a typical winter, but 90% were on NW winds after most/all accum was done.  My two worst, by far, experiences driving in blowing snow came while the sun was shining.

I think the big 4 do it midnight to midnight right?

I think all 1st order stations are mid-mid, as are some coops.  One issue I have with Farmington's long - since 1893 - record is that the obs time has obviously (based on checking their temps at obs time) been switched between 7A and midnight several times.  I used to use midnight, but when I moved to Ft.Kent and had to be headed into the woods before 7A I switched to 9P, which I still do along with cocorahs precip at 7 A,

A bit dry on the tarmac there.  What is it on the lush lawns where people live?  :)

Looks like low 60s and upper 50s at most places on the meso map:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=10&scroll_zoom=true&center=42.23055108552288,-72.69927978515625&basemap=OpenStreetMap&boundaries=true,false,false&obs=true&obs_type=weather&elements=temp,dew&obs_popup=false&obs_density=1

There's an occasional one near 70 but that is the exception and not the rule.

Archived