Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a record for the time of year .  Just waiting the updated OLR  

Through last week we looked like this . The look below shows the lack of east based forcing .

olra-30d.gif

I like utilizing the following images; those are not terribly recent:

Tropical convective forcing has generally congregated around 160-180W over the past week [continued conducive forcing overall].

161zvav.gif

jj2omb.gif

I like utilizing the following images; those are not terribly recent:

Tropical convective forcing has generally congregated around 160-180W over the past week [continued conducive forcing overall].

161zvav.gif

jj2omb.gif

Thank you Tom. 

Its just a running mean . So I just use it to see the evolution . Both maps tell the same story . 

D/L is where it`s at . 

Thank you Tom. 

Its just a running mean . So I just use  it to see the evolution . Both maps tell the same story . 

D/L is where it`s at . 

Paul - agree. The primary takeaway is that the forcing has been / is running west of years like 1997 which featured more region 3 forcing [rather than 4/3.4].

In 2/10, it was just east of the DL, which I recall Wes (Usetobe) said is best for the MA. Obviously, you might disagree. lol

But no 2 years are ever alike, fortunately...or unfortunately, I guess.

Nah, I'm well enough versed in the science to understand that we must outlook this on a macro level. 

The micro analysis is best left for the medium, and especially the short range. 

In 2/10, it was just east of the DL, which I recall Wes (Usetobe) said is best for the MA. Obviously, you might disagree. lol

But no 2 years are ever alike, fortunately...or unfortunately, I guess.

The DJF forcing was very favorable in both of the aforementioned years:

fnte74.png

wp5jc.png

In the Octobers preceding those winters, 2002 was centered around 160W while 2009 was slightly west of the dateline:

14kk6td.png

2m6vgic.png

Wow...on par with 2002. Interesting.

Could I trouble you for '86 and '57?

I should probably ask for the link, too, so that I don't have to trouble folks like you :lol:

Wow...on par with 2002. Interesting.

Could I trouble you for '86 and '57?

I should probably ask for the link, too, so that I don't have to trouble folks like you :lol:

Here's the link - cool site to play around with:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/composites/printpage.pl

1957 was fairly far east [160-140W] while 1986 was near the dateline for October.

mjp8d3.png

10d5huf.png

The current wwb near the datine has continued to help reinforce the warmth further East Subsurface wise.

The next WWB is modeled to set up literally over enso 1-3.

This will easily cause major warming up to the SA coast with enso 4 cooling.

6Rw9WSu.jpg

It already looks like enso 4 has started to cool a bit.

EZ4mAv5.jpg

JEv3VAf.jpg

Subsurface OHC is primed for an East based super Nino with the right WWB.

NMk0VTg.jpg

Both 1.2 and 4 cooled this week . Both by .1 , however 4 is still at record levels for this date .

However this basin wide event should continue to strengthen through the rest of October .

Thankfully for winters purpose this is not an east based NINO , we dodged that bullet .

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

The current wwb near the datine has continued to help reinforce the warmth further East Subsurface wise.

The next WWB is modeled to set up literally over enso 1-3.

This will easily cause major warming up to the SA coast with enso 4 cooling.

6Rw9WSu.jpg

It already looks like enso 4 has started to cool a bit.

EZ4mAv5.jpg

JEv3VAf.jpg

Subsurface OHC is primed for an East based super Nino with the right WWB.

NMk0VTg.jpg

When I look at the 850 anomalies map and see how little Enso ssta moved this past week in response to the strong wwb, I'm not very concerned with the further east progged wwb that's no where near as strong.

When I look at the 850 anomalies map and see how little Enso ssta moved this past week in response to the strong wwb, I'm not very concerned with the further east progged wwb that's no where near as strong.

It should be devastating to next July's Arctic sea ice.

That's because the phase speed of an oceanic kelvin wave generated by a WWB is on the order of 1 m/s. It takes a couple of weeks before you really start to notice and 4-6 weeks to cross the pacific (at a minimum). That being said, there definitely has been a response in the thermocline in the last week.

WWBs that occur further east are also never as strong (half or less), but no less important. Outright westerlies in '97 never progressed further than 140W, but it was the huge, progressive WWBs in October of that year that sealed the deal on a record event. It interfered constructively with an EKW already "in flight" and allowed the warm pool to bulge eastward. The same could happen here, though perhaps not quite to the same extent.

In the current event, a nice westerly anomaly event centered over 160W would be sufficient move that bulge of very warm water between 180-140W on eastward. Really, just a collapse of the trades would do it. You don't need strong outright westerlies at that longitude.

Archived