• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

Look. I'm talking about what's there not what u think will happen. That appears to be a weakly positive epo in the 500mb djf forecast map.

And I am telling you , you are wrong. Pressure is higher to the N and lower to the S .

Please tell me you see that ?

Lastly I use objective guidance as to give my opinion . Namely the SST European seasonal and NMME at 500 And not what " I think " .

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone wants to a typical CFS error , just take a look at its October temp forecast for the CONUS then take a look at both the GFS and European ensembles and look where the NEG sets up by OCT is or so and then look at where the pos gets pulled too in Canada

Look at where the trough is , right where you expect it right through the lakes and into the NE.

It will blow a monthly forecast from 2 weeks out because it keeps mishandling the trough pos In the EP.

It did it a lot last year.

You will see it in OCT , so you want me to buy it's seasonal outlook ?

Sorry no can do.

We may see a configuration his season that has never happened before.

Doesn't necessarily mean a severe winter, but it would be interesting to see a super el nino with a neg EPO/solar minimum overlay.

Thus far, a solar min has not led to a reduction in global heat uptake. I think this winter will rival 2011-2012 for warmth in North America.

We may see a configuration his season that has never happened before.

Doesn't necessarily mean a severe winter, but it would be interesting to see a super el nino with a neg EPO/solar minimum overlay.

HM posted this, but this looks to be the beginning of a flip to a -PDO regime, this will have to be monitored closely come October to see if this trend continues Link: https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/648206323176329216

HM posted this, but this looks to be the beginning of a flip to a -PDO regime, this will have to be monitored closely come October to see if this trend continues Link: https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/648206323176329216

Dunno know about it flipping... but the warm pool seems to have shifted west a bit. Still a decently strong +PDO... still weaker than it was

MwVi4fG.png

dZgwhjK.png

^
Which is exactly where the European seasonal SST NMME models develops the deep NEG S of the Aleutians. Right over the top of the warmest anomalies which have now pulled further SW. In turn it pulls the POS In Canada further west.
Which allows cold air to come S .
Just as in the case of the SST analog 500 map discussed earlier today one only has to look at its 2M temp forecast to see the EPO is its in -phase.
If the heights are higher through Alaska with lower pressure to the south it's a NEG EPO. The fact that there is high pressure to its south should be understood , there will always be high pressure at some point under lower pressure ( unless one thinks you need to dig a trough all the way to the Antarctica) in the EP.
I believe a 2M temp map was dropped In today to show what the EC would look like with a POS EPO so one only has to look at the SST 2 m D -M Temp guidance which show you the SE/MA trough reflection downstream . A TROUGH which must infer a -EP .

40/70 is onto something , you have a strong/super basin wide NINO and it's roaring STJ , a forecast -EPO with DL forcing . Where the colder /wetter anomalies intersect is where the winter relative to averages could be a great one.

cat2m_anom.3.gif

^

Which is exactly where the European seasonal SST NMME models develops the deep NEG S of the Aleutians. Right over the top of the warmest anomalies which have now pulled further SW. In turn it pulls the POS In Canada further west.

Just as in the case of the SST analog 500 map discussed earlier today one only has to look at its 2M temp forecast to see the EPO is its in -phase.

If the heights are higher through Alaska with lower pressure to the south it's a NEG EPO. The fact that there is high pressure to its south should be understood , there will always be high pressure at some point under lower pressure ( unless one thinks you need to dig a trough all the way to the Antarctica) in the EP.

I believe a 2M temp map was dropped In today to show what the EC would look like with a POS EPO so only has to look at

the SST 2 m D -M Temp guidance which show you the SE/MA trough reflection downstream . A TROUGH which must infer a -EP .

40/70 is onto something , you have a strong/super basin wide NINO and it's roaring STJ , a forecast -EPO with DL forcing . Where the colder /wetter anomalies intersect is where the winter relative to averages could be a great one.

I can't wait to see the Nino just completely dominate the pattern soon the shear force of a super El Niño dominating is really awe inspiring. It's a beautiful thing!

I love extreme events

This is a great NINO event. There is no denying it. I think we all appreciate how warm the entire basin is.

From the onset I though the monthlies would end up bet 1.8 -2

Our only difference has been east vs basin wide.

I would just like to see this event evolve into a

-epo/+pna /-nao and see if some the drivers will mitigate or overwhelm the others.

We just differ on the outcome.

It's a good study regardless .

Considering where the PDO has been, in which direction did you expect to see it trend?

Here is a bold prediction for you....by the end of the winter, the ENSO regions will begin a cooling trend.

Hmmmm..

^

I believe a 2M temp map was dropped In today to show what the EC would look like with a POS EPO so one only has to look at the SST 2 m D -M Temp guidance which show you the SE/MA trough reflection downstream . A TROUGH which must infer a -EP .

cat2m_anom.3.gif

There doesn't have to be a -epo in the means to get a trough in se/MA. You would think that one would see colder air barreling into the northern tier of the US (Midwest/plains) in a neg epo. The Midwest and plains are warmer than normal on that map.

There doesn't have to be a -epo in the means to get a trough in se/MA. You would think that one would see colder air barreling into the northern tier of the US (Midwest/plains) in a neg epo. The Midwest and plains are warmer than normal on that map.

Correct , No there does not  , but that is not what we disagreed on .  We spoke ONLY to the SST 500mb map . That 500 mb and 2m meter map represent a - EPO.

Those  higher pressures ( AN temps ) in Alaska with a NEG ( lower pressure to it`s South ) denote a NEG EPO  to me . 

That`s all You and I were discussing . 

If we disagree , so be it , that is how I  read it . 

BTW if the 500 mb pressure field is correct and the greatest heights are to the WEST OF HB. expect the lakes to be colder than that , as it is , what is plus .05 in Manitoba is BN most places S of the lakes ( SE/MA ) .

That looks like neg NAO/AO/EPO to me.

Remember, there can be very cold air in the high latitudes concurrent with positive departures.

Correct , No there does not , but that is not what we disagreed on . We spoke ONLY to the SST 500mb map . That 500 mb and 2m meter map represent a - EPO.

Those higher pressures ( AN temps ) in Alaska with a NEG ( lower pressure to it`s South ) denote a NEG EPO to me .

That`s all You and I were discussing .

If we disagree , so be it , that is how I read it .

This much more of a +pna pattern than a -epo. Take a look at the pna composite. Looks way closer to that depiction.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/images/pna.composite.gif

Archived