• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More smoke from Canadian wildfires tonight? We have a campground just down the street so we sometimes smell smoke that's not from Canada.

Yeah its been overhead for days, hopefully the southwest flow aloft can scour it out today.

Yeah its been overhead for days, hopefully the southwest flow aloft can scour it out today.

Awesome firey sunset last night though like Key West style. The big orb dropped below Mansfield's ridge line, and by that time there was so much haze obscuring it, that it was just like one big fireball in the WNW Sky.

I bet it looked sick over the lake from BTV land.

Awesome firey sunset last night though like Key West style. The big orb dropped below Mansfield's ridge line, and by that time there was so much haze obscuring it, that it was just like one big fireball in the WNW Sky.

I bet it looked sick over the lake from BTV land.

Yeah I was at the office and could see the big orange ball, not close enough to the lake here to see it though ;) . The moon the other night even had that orange-y yellow glow to it.

Also not too often you want winds from the southwest to get better air quality haha. But the past couple of summers with the deep ridge and warmth out west, the NW winds here have brought in their smoke.

I only had around a quarter inch of rain in the gauge this morning, so I was surprised to see how much it rained just on the other side of the Spine. 

I didn't see radar as it was moving through, but looks like there was some solid blocked flow enhancement on NW slopes of the northern Greens.  I was surprised to see Jeffersonville Co-Op just on the other side of the Notch picked up almost an inch of rainfall.  You can also see Richford on the west side of Jay Peak also picked up almost an inch. 

Must've been some low level veering along the front, really squeezing out that liquid on the west side of the northern Spine. 

Looks like a nice soak from about Brian in Central NH down south.  Extrapolating the radar right now at 5pm it looks like a near miss for me.

Just sprinkles with that first batch. It looks pretty meh. Hopefully I can pull off at least a tenth.

About to bid adieu to NNE for a couple of weeks and head south to SW GA and Panama City FL. Probably not quite as cool and refreshing a summer down there. Haven't decided whether to detour through the Outer Banks or the Smokey Mts. on the way home.

You're doing this snow bird thing all wrong. ;)

About to bid adieu to NNE for a couple of weeks and head south to SW GA and Panama City FL. Probably not quite as cool and refreshing a summer down there. Haven't decided whether to detour through the Outer Banks or the Smokey Mts. on the way home.

Definitely do the stretch of beach from Panama City west to Destin.  Up until about 25 years ago this 35 mile stretch of barrier island which is now called 30A was mostly just dunes.  All built up now with very upscale communities such as Watercolor.  Beautiful area.  Can't imagine what will happen when a major hurricane hits everything is so new.  

Hot day.  Currently 83F at home and 80F at the office at 1,500ft when I left about a half hour ago. 

What's interesting about this graphic is that BTV and Plattsburgh have such different temps, yet both are similar elevation, just on different sides of the Lake.  BTV definitely runs a lot warmer than PBG, which is interesting just given its different shores of the lake. 

11745759_898042286934340_359264877835451

The past couple days are a good example of why MVL is -1.2 on the month, while MPV is -3.2 (the usual -1.5 to -2 difference between the two sites).

Given that the two sites supposedly have the same climo normals (despite 500ft elevation difference), this is how MPV ends up so much below normal.  Its like running the MPV numbers against the MVL climo.

Saturday...

MPV...82/53 (68F mean)

MVL...86/54 (70F mean)

Sunday...

MPV...83/59 (71F mean)

MVL...86/64 (75F mean)

The past couple days are a good example of why MVL is -1.2 on the month, while MPV is -3.2 (the usual -1.5 to -2 difference between the two sites).

Given that the two sites supposedly have the same climo normals (despite 500ft elevation difference), this is how MPV ends up so much below normal. Its like running the MPV numbers against the MVL climo.

Saturday...

MPV...82/53 (68F mean)

MVL...86/54 (70F mean)

Sunday...

MPV...83/59 (71F mean)

MVL...86/64 (75F mean)

Still better than the 102F that my car thermometer hit outside of Macon, GA today.

Hot day.  Currently 83F at home and 80F at the office at 1,500ft when I left about a half hour ago. 

What's interesting about this graphic is that BTV and Plattsburgh have such different temps, yet both are similar elevation, just on different sides of the Lake.  BTV definitely runs a lot warmer than PBG, which is interesting just given its different shores of the lake. 

11745759_898042286934340_359264877835451

PBG is much more susceptible to the Lake breeze. Its a daily occurrence just like a seabreeze. It's epecially bad on any south wind days because the valley orientation near PBG is such that it funnels SE for a brief bit, enhancing the lake breeze off the lake. The only way that PBG can be warmer than BTV is on a strong SW wind when they downslope off the Adirondacks. Then they can torch.

The ASOS for PBG is also directly on the lake, whereas you know BTV is a few miles in and up.

PBG is much more susceptible to the Lake breeze. Its a daily occurrence just like a seabreeze. It's epecially bad on any south wind days because the valley orientation near PBG is such that it funnels SE for a brief bit, enhancing the lake breeze off the lake. The only way that PBG can be warmer than BTV is on a strong SW wind when they downslope off the Adirondacks. Then they can torch.

The ASOS for PBG is also directly on the lake, whereas you know BTV is a few miles in and up.

Ahh that's good info. I don't know why I always thought the airport was actually further from the lake than BTV is. I know Plattsburgh itself is on the water, but thought the airfield was a ways inland as they certainly radiate better than BTV it seems a lot of times (but being protected from the nocturnal low level jet on the VT side would help with that).

Ahh that's good info. I don't know why I always thought the airport was actually further from the lake than BTV is. I know Plattsburgh itself is on the water, but thought the airfield was a ways inland as they certainly radiate better than BTV it seems a lot of times (but being protected from the nocturnal low level jet on the VT side would help with that).

Yeah the old Clinton County Airport was further inland, but the Plattsburgh Intl Airport is right on the water (well across the street):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Plattsburgh+International+Airport/@44.6524019,-73.4684758,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cca388332c0ed77:0x613bcf88d1f8545e

As far as the radiative cooling, it is weird that it radiates so much better, but like you said it could be because its more protected from the nocturnal southerly jet, possibly because of the mountains near Willsboro: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4488125,-73.5684686,10z/data=!5m1!1e4

I can see a nice CB to my east over the mountains. Looks like it could get a little dicey on Mansfield.

Fascinating storm initiation over the mountains... you've got ones firing over the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, then a line popping up directly over the Spine of the Greens, and more getting going over the Orange Heights up through Coles Pond. 

Very, very closely tied to terrain.

July13_zpsymaiwg9i.gif

Fascinating storm initiation over the mountains... you've got ones firing over the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, then a line popping up directly over the Spine of the Greens, and more getting going over the Orange Heights up through Coles Pond. 

Very, very closely tied to terrain.

July13_zpsymaiwg9i.gif

It definitely is as the higher terrain is giving a boost to those lapse rates.

I'd love a time lapse of the storms popping over those mountains.

Yeah I was just trying to think of any cams from the Champlain Valley looking east towards the Spine.  With sunny skies in the valley, I bet someone caught a sick time lapse of simultaneous initiation up and down the Spine from Killington almost to Mansfield.

Archived