joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tn Valley March 4-6 Storm OBS

jaxjagman

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some sleet mixing in with the rain now. Still very concerned about what is going to happen to all the water once it gets below freezing. Got a few "streams" steadily flowing down the road and parking lot. Glad all the schools around here had the foresight to close today. Bet conditions on the road get bad quickly.

I went back to rain for 30-45 minutes, just now getting a little sleet mixing in again, temp is 32.2.  It seems those of us south of 40 and east of 75 are wasting our best QPF while areas west and north are getting white grounds.  Brutal stubborn warm pocket on CC radar is having a hard time budging. 

I went back to rain for 30-45 minutes, just now getting a little sleet mixing in again, temp is 32.2.  It seems those of us south of 40 and east of 75 are wasting our best QPF while areas west and north are getting white grounds.  Brutal stubborn warm pocket on CC radar is having a hard time budging. 

Yeah we are staying begrudgingly at at 33.1 rain/sleet mix.  Don't have a lot of qpf to go, still a slug of returns filling in, just south of Huntsville moving NE, and maybe some redevelopment of N. Central MS.  So maybe we keep just enough lift around at least through early afternoon to keep some precip going for ETN.

13z RAP clown:

1Lhil5q.gif

Down to 32.7 here.

Not so sure this isn't going to be close to correct, it's pouring snow in those areas right now, over perform for Lee/Scott/Sullivan/Hancock looks likely to me

Precip has ended here and it's about to clear the west/central Valley. It looks like it's getting a little ragged in the Eastern side too.

Yep, I hit 32.0 right as it winded down.  There is some ice in the trees and minor glazing on some elevated surfaces but nothing to speak of.  Roads should be fine around here until the temp really crashes tonight and freezes puddles.

I have about 2 inches of sleet/snow/zr total. 

It's been a dynamite last 3 weeks of winter. Areas just 50 or so miles north of me have picked up 40 inches of snow or close to it in that 3 weeks. I've only managed around half of that due to the sleet/zr. Still a memorable winter. Not much brewing anytime soon after this and this may be the final winter event of the season beyond the spring snow showers that crop up in March and early April. Have to see, the GFS is popping another gulf storm with some cold air lurking near by in about 10 days.

Pays to keep it simple in East Tenn. Don't over think it. Plateau did indeed get more winter weather than the Valley, regardless of how thick any cold layer would be under the warm layer. Valley stays warm anyway. Remarkable how mixed precip almost made it to Chattanooga. One could see it creep down the Valley on CC but then retreat ahead of that last AL/MS wave. Figure winter precip holds down to Sweetwater or Athens but Chatty rain should end while temps are above freezing.

Tri Cities sleet may be just a temporary problem. CC shows snow will move back in from the west. Knoxville is a certified mess but should stay all winter precip. I would think Knoxvegas ends snow. Congratulations to our West Tennessee members on a snow slam job. Northwest Tennessee had a certified blizzard. Memphis metro picked up 3-5 inches from south to north. Wish Nashvegas had done better, esp south suburbs, but at least 2-4 inches fell from south to north across the metro.

Chattanooga forecast was really pretty easy after hitting 74 yesterday. Battle Above the Clouds has not changed in 150 years. Warm air tends to hold the city better than the Confederates. Anybody else ready for storm chasing season?

:twister:

Just ended up with a sleet/snow dusting, but I did get to see probably the biggest and heaviest snowflakes I've ever seen! It looks like it is winding down for everyone. I'm glad for the Nashville folks too! Been too long for you guys over that way. It's been awhile for Memphis too, so congrats are due for them as well!

Mostly back to sleet rain mix here. Probably have a half inch of snow on the ground. Scott County is under a state of emergency mainly because of flooding right now.

Yeah just I posted the silver dollar flakes transitioned back to sleet/frz rain....a shame

Archived