CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NYC/PHL: December 24-27th Potential

earthlight

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0z GFS run is the best I've seen yet. The initial s/w is strong enough to pump some overrunning light snow into the area starting early Christmas day (frontside overrunning precip often underdone). The mid and upper levels evolve perfectly and the low level tracks take a perfect track for NYC - only slightly less so for Phi. There is no pinwheeling or duel center h5 lows this time around, so the vertically stacking structure is much less progressive, and a moderately long duration event is the result. Obviously QPF would be underdone wherever banding sets up. Things are very unlikely to play out like this, but what a great run!

The 0z GFS run is the best I've seen yet. The initial s/w is strong enough to pump some overrunning light snow into the area starting early Christmas day (frontside overrunning precip often underdone). The mid and upper levels evolve perfectly and the low level tracks take a perfect track for NYC - only slightly less so for Phi. There is no pinwheeling or duel center h5 lows this time around, so the vertically stacking structure is much less progressive, and a moderately long duration event is the result. Obviously QPF would be underdone wherever banding sets up. Things are very unlikely to play out like this, but what a great run!

I think that PHL on northeast has the most "breathing room" for this storm since we don't need a major southern stream component to the storm to have a good-great outcome for us. The low can blow up in time for us and New England to get slammed. Of course, we need the ridge to be west enough and steep enough to slam the northern stream energy down to cause the bomb.

AAARRRGGGHHH, I wish this wasn't over 100 hours out still

00z GGEM looks very similar to last night's EURO

Yes. Important differences between tonight's GFS and GEM. The GEM has a much higher amplitude trof and the surface low therefore takes a more southerly route. We might be able to score big in either scenario, but the GGEM is more favorable for people further south along the eastern seaboard.

The GFS also brings light snow in much earlier than the GEM due to the initial wave and associated overrunning precip.

Archived