CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NYC/PHL: December 24-27th Potential

earthlight

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haaa! Yes, the only thing that really worries me is that our little Monmouth Co. Is bullseyed just about every big run the past two days.

Yeah gotta love that 1.5"+ maximum in Monmouth. With this type of situation with a strong coastal deformation band, we tend to do pretty well.

not a lot of QPF though... I know you shouldn't look at that whole heartedly at this stage, but what would cause this to be so dry?

I wouldn't worry too much... It does seem drier than you think it would actually be, but with those kind of dynamics, the snowfall rates would be incredible. It would be able to produce several inches per hour, so you would pile it on really quickly.

amazing post- easy to understand...and most important I hope your analysis is correct thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

John,

Nice analysis of the upcoming potential. I was looking through some H5 maps prior/during our big storms since 2000, and wanted to share an interesting finding regarding the orientation of the PNA ridge out West (don't worry, it's good news).

For 30 DEC 00, 05 DEC 03, 22-23 JAN 05, 11 FEB 06, 19 DEC 09, 25-26 FEB 10 -- all of these events except for December 03 featured a ridge axis aligned no more than 200 miles either side of the classic Boise ID line, but the amplitude of the ridge generally only extended into SW Canada.

The difference w/ the H5 progression here is we've got the PNA high heights extending well into central Canada and hooking up with the west based -NAO block. What this does is force the short wave rolling down the periphery of the ridge to dig/amplify, slow down, and increase the potential phasing of streams. It also yields a height rise along the east coast in advance of the short wave, adding to the slow-down process of the storm, and essentially allowing the nern stream energy to catch-up to complete the phase.

Although its not in the classic N-S position near Boise ID, the ridge amplitude is so extreme that it congeals with the N-C Canadian block and thus forces the downstream s/w to be slower and more energized/amplified. Of course we could still see the phase occur a bit offshore if the timing of the nern stream involvment is less than ideal, but as it stands right now, I think we're looking pretty good, and considering this is a strong La Nina, I can't paint a much better picture than we have on this H5 map.

2wfl6k8.png

Further inland... with the corresponding maps (700RH, and 500 maps) it would appear the QPF would be greater. Not the .5 to .6 range.

Don't worry about QPF panels in this stage of the game. Just look at the overall pattern. Predicting QPF is a within-72 hrs deal. Personally, I would think with that wound up a low that the snow would extend back to I-81 or so, but it's way too early to tell. That's why I really hope we still see these blown up solutions 72 hours from now.

Archived