CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the CC is actually a freezing rain line, not a sleet line. The warmth is too rooted at the low-levels (probably 950mb?) for the precip to be sleet. 

Agreed, how would it possibly have time to refreeze before it hits the ground, if the warm layer is only at 950mb or below? You would need it more at 900 or 850 I would think to get sleet

Agreed, how would it possibly have time to refreeze before it hits the ground, if the warm layer is only at 950mb or below? You would need it more at 900 or 850 I would think to get sleet

Exactly. 900 might even be borderline, but that would depend on how cold the layer below that would be. But yes, 850mb would most likely signal sleet. Of course it's best to just look at the whole sounding, but 950mb warmth is pretty much automatic freezing rain instead of sleet.

Exactly. 900 might even be borderline, but that would depend on how cold the layer below that would be. But yes, 850mb would most likely signal sleet. Of course it's best to just look at the whole sounding, but 950mb warmth is pretty much automatic freezing rain instead of sleet.

Yea was thinking same. Bc 925mb Temps still below 0c.. Warm pocket . Models showed the freezing rain this morning so here we go...

post-1210-142456367973.jpg

Mix line down in southern jersey. Snow will be heaviest before mixing. Nice thump coming. New HRRR doesn't even pull the MIX line north of EWR. Mostly anyone NW of there stays all snow 4-6". If this plays out, it'll be a nice welcome bust on my 2-4" call for the NENJ/NYC area :) I sure hope so !

Archived