Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Freeze to Thaw, Winter Wx, Feb. 20th-21st, 2015

Windspeed

Internet Fist Bump!

I've never seen sleet pellets this large. Not trying to be dramatic but seriously, this is the craziest sleet I've ever seen. Both in terms of rate and pellet size.

The rates are pretty impressive on the frozen parts of the storm. Not sure how much zr I'll get, still 95 percent sleet. Maybe some small snow flakes and drizzle mixed in as well.

It's almost like little popcorn convection but without the convection part.

8973e7c618f9c1fdc7f726d6294bf13f.jpg

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That precip type radar is impressively accurate right now. From all I have found this week, sleet shows up as blue on them. The mostly blue with little areas of pink over CC seems to perfectly represent how the precip types are falling here.

For my area the pink has been 75% sleet and 25% freezing rain.  There appears to be a sharp gradient though.  Texting with Reb, he's remained mostly lightish ZR.  Where the QPF has setup has been almost as interesting as how the skew-t has wavered around.  Still blown away by the sleet intensity at times.  I keep thinking I'm going zr and then blam, another sleet round.  Pretty awesome.

For my area the pink has been 75% sleet and 25% freezing rain.  There appears to be a sharp gradient though.  Texting with Reb, he's remained mostly lightish ZR.  Where the QPF has setup has been almost as interesting as how the skew-t has wavered around.  Still blown away by the sleet intensity at times.  I keep thinking I'm going zr and then blam, another sleet round.  Pretty awesome.

I can't explain it then. My sleet has still been mixed with a bit of snow, maybe it simply goes by atmospheric profile and the cold is a tiny bit deeper here than there.

Awesome! I'm shocked to still be snow and the temp here is 23. I've got 3 new inches and in some spots 7-8 total from the last storm.

Same here for just across the TN/VA line in Church Hill, Snow. I really expected to be having ZR by now but looking at radarscope it appears the changeover is still around the Jefferson City area. I would estimate our new snow total to be in the 2-3 inch range so far.

It's odd, Kentucky is experiencing much more warming that we are. Somerset, two counties above Scott Co is up to 32 degrees.

Yeah, here in eastern KY we have experienced nothing but freezing rain/rain to this point. I currently still have around 8 inches of snow on the ground from last weeks storm, but that has not helped cool anything at all. Actually, if you look at radar returns for eastern KY, the areas showing the rain are the areas that got hit the hardest by the last storm. Kind of crazy to see, really.

We do have a light icy glaze here and roads are nearly impassable at this point. Salt trucks have chains on them and are still struggling. Not a good day to be out and about around here.

Archived