joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 2015 Snowfall Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1" of new snow on the ground as of 2 am - that's basically 1.33"/hour with visibility never less than a half mile.  Has to be 20:1 ratio snow, as it's like cotton candy.  I have to say, while I am still an avid believer in reporting snow mass or LE instead of depth,as mass/LE is far more relevant wrt/impact, 20:1 snow is pretty freakin' awesome to look at. Looks like the southern edge of the moderate snowfall is about to go past us, ending the good snow - hopefully that next band around 195 will make it up here soon or that we'll get backbuilding from the west.  Also, I need to get at least 2-3 hours of sleep, lol, as I have an all day meeting tomorrow with two of my groups at work and dozing off won't go over well.  

Slept for almost 3 hours, got up at 5 am and we now have 4" on the ground as of 5:30 am after "shoveling" - since I was outside, I "shoveled" with a huge broom - way faster than a shovel for this fluffy confection.  Still snowing light/moderately.  Hard to tell if the decent 20-30 DBZ "green" bands are almost over or not - I'm on the northern edge right now.  Would love another 1-2", but not confident in getting that, but I'm ecstatic with 4".  Woohoo!  

Slept for almost 3 hours, got up at 5 am and we now have 4" on the ground as of 5:30 am after "shoveling" - since I was outside, I "shoveled" with a huge broom - way faster than a shovel for this fluffy confection.  Still snowing light/moderately.  Hard to tell if the decent 20-30 DBZ "green" bands are almost over or not - I'm on the northern edge right now.  Would love another 1-2", but not confident in getting that, but I'm ecstatic with 4".  Woohoo!  

Rutgers Gardens has 0.09" of LE...I wonder if that's low, because if it isn't, then ratios are between 30-40:1.

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if those ratios are correct, either. We had pure dendrite fluff bliss tonight with no winds. 

Archived