• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George/LEK may be right about large portions of CNY outperforming SNE. I'd expect a lot of 6-12" totals centered along I-81 from SYR to UCA to BGM...and we know how WNY has already done. If I were down there I'd be afraid I just got what I'm going to from a shot of WAA, next the slp Bombs out and pounds Maine. CT is done as well as most of Mass it appears. Unless the energy moving off the mid Atl results in an additional round down there.

Well, so far, in perusing official reporting station data, CNY and WNY have "out blizzarded" the KBOX Blizzard Warning area, as usual. In addition, temps here have been a solid 10-20 degrees colder than the BW area, which I know is no longer part of the criteria but worth mentioning for those of us that are old school. Now, to be fair, the worst conditions there are expected Sunday morning, but at this juncture, the snow has shut down and moved out...they are looking at 3-5" at most (excluding Maine) and high winds. If the SN+ doesn't materialize, the high winds won't be enough to generate true blizzard conditions in a wide area...maybe on the open immediate shoreline only. New England is not the wide open treeless plains where ground blizzard conditions really can happen.

You guys see the little synoptic swirl up on the northern edge of lake ontario? Going to be some moisture added soon to the LES.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BUF-N0Q-1-6

I have dibs on that.

Maybe all these little squall lines and swirling vortices are robbing the main system? Or buggering its development? I would love to believe that conditions up here, and my personal voodoo doll, are contributing to yet another KBOX Psudo Blizzard.

Was just outside, letting one of my Huskys out.  Snowing 1"/hr at least...viz is about 1/4 mile.  Temp is down to 15.  Its breezy but nothing "blizzardy" 

Looking at WSYR9 radar, we have what appears to be a pretty strong single band developed now, looks like about 290 flow, which is perfect for several of us here.

Was just outside, letting one of my Huskys out.  Snowing 1"/hr at least...viz is about 1/4 mile.  Temp is down to 15.  Its breezy but nothing "blizzardy" 

Looking at WSYR9 radar, we have what appears to be a pretty strong single band developed now, looks like about 290 flow, which is perfect for several of us here.

Noticed that.  Sterling to Pennelville to Clay special.  

a meso low swirl at the west 1/2 of Lake Ontario, as some of you have noticed. I wonder what will happen when the trough gets absorbed into it. That, in my opinion, is Monroe counties last hope. But I never had high expectations for this low confidence forecast.

but i still hold out hope.

What the hell happened to the KING? havent seen a post for a while. we need his input.

Snow rate has definitely picked up here in western Monroe. Not heavy, flake size not large (but also not tiny), but if it keeps up all night we should pile on a couple of inches. Will be interesting to see what happens when the slug of moisture/enhanced radar echoes that has been moving south across Lake Ontario reaches the area.

Still 6.7 deg so we technically won't have the full sub-zero day on Sunday.

Just got back from a whirlwind trip to Gore mountain today. 7 1/2 hour drive back to the roc right through that band. It was a little dodgey at times.

Anyway, wasn't able to see much of how this storm evolved but I had hoped we would have done better. We just didn't luck out on the placement of the those Initial frontal squall lines. Some people won, some lost. I still think a solid 3-6 of grainy lake effect will pretty much broadbush the whole south shore with a local Max somewhere between route 31 and 104. 3am-9am is my best guess for when the lake really puts out. Once the surface low begins its explosive deepening things will begin to align.

And I just peaked at the radar and things will certainly be getting interesting. Relatively deeper moisture is pinwheeling back over the lake.

What! Death band is my favorite term. I used it several times during the LES event in November. What other terms would you suggest?

Ugh!! I missed that.  I see it a lot in some of the more retard laden forums (apologies for the insensitive wording) and it makes me want to puke like a billy goat.   

I was just funnin.  I suppose if you must, you must! ;)

How about, "SUPER DUPER KILLER BAND OF DOOM"?

I just get tired of the overuse of the term...every lousy banded structure in some forums is a "death band".  Its just stupid.  Of course, in Buffalo's case in November, it was one of the few instances I've seen where it was appropriate.  The other being the one from the big non-blizzard snowstorm in CT two years ago.

Totally true - a 1.5"/hr deformation band sets up in one of these coastal storms and suddenly it's the "death band." What a joke.

I see that things are finally going further east along the Ontario shore. Hoping Dave's house is finally catching up. I've felt for him, he has been watching everyone else get SN+ today.

MICRO LOW killing, JUST KILLING US!!!!!! Snow rates of 3" +/hr, I've never seen it snow like this. Video coming!

Thank god!  Hope you get drilled overnight.  ROC can be a tough area at times...

And you just stole my snow! That micro low has pulled the band that was rocking us near SYR.  LOL.  I'll gladly give it up.

Archived