• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

We're within 48 hours of the event.  When should be start worrying about temps?

For the love of peace…there is no cold high to the north and without a rapidly developing storm this event is all but

over for the coast and maybe even 30-40 miles inland.

Not trying to pick on anyone but alot of people in this forum need to take off the snow goggles.

I still think a rapidly deepening surface low is on the table. I liked the improvements at H5 regarding the phasing. I think the GFS is still playing catchup and hopeuflly the 00z Euro run was just a fluke.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday*

It's a real issue and I'll post a chart shortly. As noted previously, blocking is associated with NYC's major or blockbuster storms (> 8" snowfall) during the second half of January. While numerous 4"-8" amounts (and lesser ones) have occurred when storms commenced with an AO+ (which is forecast for Saturday), almost none of the >8" snowstorms for that timeframe have occurred when the AO was positive.

*-NWS Upton's forecast discussion

So from sounds of it Don due to Temp profile 1/2 of this QPF in NYC is lost to slop. But in any case .72 is a HUGE jump for the GFS & there should be reason for optimism here. It simply has close off further south and we are in business.

At least half is probably lost to mixing or rain. Considering all the guidance, I still think a moderate snowstorm (3"-6" variety in the city) remains on the table. I suspect that by tonight's 0z and tomorrow's 12z runs, we'll be able to have good confidence in whether the storm will close off a little farther south.

For the love of peace…there is no cold high to the north and without a rapidly developing storm this event is all but

over for the coast and maybe even 30-40 miles inland.

Not trying to pick on anyone but alot of people in this forum need to take off the snow goggles.

Maybe for the city and coast it might be minor... but definitely not 30-40 miles inland that seems quite far...

The one euro one (yesterday's 12z) may have been an outlier.    No high to the north and a less deep system spells trouble.

Yeh the Euro was too amped and the explosive CCB ( outside the NAVGEM ) was on it`s own . 

I bought it , I was wrong  . Best skill score model F%^& me .

If this holds KUDOS do not go to the OTS crowd as the SLP is at the BM with .75 to 1 inch of liquid at KNYC ( thats not OTS )  , its to Bluewave who has been arguing progression and against closing off so early . 2-4 , 3- 6 is still possible .

The bigger totals look like they wait until Monday . The GFS and UKMET are there . 

No towel throwing yet for 6 plus  but it`s my hand . 

I think it's important to note that the further N&W you get from the city, the colder temps will be. So while NYC may have lost about half to rain or a mix on the 12z GFS, the same can not be said for places further inland. Of course those areas see less moisture so you're giving and taking away at the same time. That's why I still feel as if the NW burbs will be the place to be with this one, basically where the most moisture overlaps the coldest temps for the longest duration. I know a lot of folks on Long Island don't want to hear that but in this pattern you're going to have to take what you can get.

At least half is probably lost to mixing or rain. Considering all the guidance, I still think a moderate snowstorm (3"-6" variety in the city) remains on the table. I suspect that by tonight's 0z and tomorrow's 12z runs, we'll be able to have good confidence in whether the storm will close off a little farther south.

Hey Don... how do you think areas in northern westchester will fair?

Yeh the Euro was too amped and the explosive CCB ( outside the NAVGEM ) was on it`s own . 

If this holds KUDOS do not go to the OTS crowd as the SLP is at the BM with .75 to 1 inch of liquid at KNYC ( thats not OTS )  , its to Bluewave who has been arguing progression and against closing off so early . 2-4 , 3- 6 is still possible .

The bigger totals look like they wait until Monday . The GFS and UKMET are there . 

Yeah that's not true, basically every model yesterday at 12z had a bomb except for the GFS. The NAM lost it at 18z and the rest of the pieces fell off at 00z.

Yeah that's not true, basically every model yesterday at 12z had a bomb except for the GFS. The NAM lost it at 18z and the rest of the pieces fell off at 00z.

NAVGEM and GEM had it but the GEM was very warm for 9 hours - I bought the Euro and its poss convection, banding . Non of that is modeled now .

Chris argued that it would be hard to close off fast . The Euro did that  . If we end up with 3 to 6 I don`t think anyone should complain .

The upside is limited here and I think it`s ok to take the middle ground . 

Excellent post, with one minor comment.  I'd only issue "preliminary kudos" until after the storm (or at least a model consensus is reached).  Even with the best track, without dynamic cooling snow turns to rain/sleet, if one does not have cold enough air in place - it's actually pretty simple at a fundamental level.  That's why it only rains in the summer, lol...

Excellent post, with one minor comment.  I'd only issue "preliminary kudos" until after the storm (or at least a model consensus is reached).  Even with the best track, without dynamic cooling snow turns to rain/sleet, if one does not have cold enough air in place - it's actually pretty simple at a fundamental level.  That's why it only rains in the summer, lol...

I actually think this has reversed in the way it snows here .It may have evolved into a front thump and thenwe hope for the back end rain  to be less intense .

The CCB looks like it does not want to materialize  , If we can get the precip in here ahead of the mid level burst then we can accumulate on the front , then we deal with the back end effects . 

I actually think this has reversed in the way it snows here .It may have evolved into a front thump and thenwe hope for the back end rain to be less intense .

The CCB looks like it does not want to materialize , If we can get the precip in here ahead of the mid level burst then we can accumulate on the front , then we deal with the back end effects .

I think your hugging a little too much. We have seen good threats over the years look great at three days and go to crap on the models around two days only to come back. Going with the theme of the winter and the SE ridge I think rain is inevitable but the CCB is still on the table with any system sub 980

Archived