joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the setup better for the potential next week as it currently stands versus this threat.  Everything is so marginal for this one that there is so much that can go poorly for the area between now and day 4.   

did you stop to consider how the weekend storm may effect the potential storm following that ? Think you are getting ahead of yourself  ...........things can go poorly after the weekend storm just as easily........

IMO for this pattern coming up including the clipper tomorrow its a good idea to pay more attention to the ensemble mean runs then the OP runs for obvious reasons..........

For an organized system like the weekend yes, for the clipper they sucked almost as bad as the Ops did, they swung 500 miles total in the last day and a half

For an organized system like the weekend yes, for the clipper they sucked almost as bad as the Ops did, they swung 500 miles total in the last day and a half

I was referring to the precip output - the GFS OP is showing nothing and the ensemble mean is showing consistently for the clipper between 0.10 and 0.25 for days now

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=us&pkg=apcpn24&runtime=2015012000&fh=66&xpos=0&ypos=287

Just eyeballing it, roughly 27 of the 00z EPS members track inside the benchmark. Most members are in the 980's with a few members in the 970's and 960's. The control run goes from 995 inland over NC to to 982 near Norfolk 6 hours later to 967mb 6 hours later about 50 miles SE of ACY to 964mb 6 hours later SE of the benchmark. That's a 31mb drop in 18 hours, including a 15mb drop in 6 hours.

Just eyeballing it, roughly 27 of the 00z EPS members track inside the benchmark. Most members are in the 980's with a few members in the 970's and 960's. The control run goes from 995 inland over NC to to 982 near Norfolk 6 hours later to 967mb 6 hours later about 50 miles SE of ACY to 964mb 6 hours later SE of the benchmark. That's a 31mb drop in 18 hours, including a 15mb drop in 6 hours.

you want the storm to really bomb out if it gets that close to the coast with marginal boundary layers need some help with cooling also need to have the winds with some sort of northerly component

I want the storm to really bomb out no matter what the precip type outcome. You forget that I despise weak storms.

we are getting ahead of ourselves here - first lets get a few various model runs in a row with significant precip over the metro then we will worry about bombing out storms :tomato: Also time to start considering changing the title to this thread as NWS is prediciting snow on Monday

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KPHI.html

I don't like the looks of that low north of the Great Lakes....need the storm to hug the coast so it can change the wind direction....next week looks so much better

which model run are you talking about ? Any chance of posting a link ?

I don't like the looks of that low north of the Great Lakes....need the storm to hug the coast so it can change the wind direction....next week looks so much better

I agree.  Anytime I see a great lakes low where you want a HP it's a red flag.  Next weeks potential has a much more favorable airmass.  Not that a bombing low can't overcome that and another good thing is we are in the middle of meteorological winter so climo is at it's peak for the area. 

I agree. Anytime I see a great lakes low where you want a HP it's a red flag. Next weeks potential has a much more favorable airmass. Not that a bombing low can't overcome that and another good thing is we are in the middle of meteorological winter so climo is at it's peak for the area.

Agree. Not saying we can't get a storm...just thinking it might be hard for the coast to get a snowstorm out of it...the potential next week looks great

we are getting ahead of ourselves here - first lets get a few various model runs in a row with significant precip over the metro then we will worry about bombing out storms :tomato: Also time to start considering changing the title to this thread as NWS is prediciting snow on Monday

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KPHI.html

well said on ALL accounts... Would love a storm as much as the next guy, but for the next two days it's purely obs mode, no need to talk about SECS/MECS, KU events, et al... let's relax and see how this unfolds. 

Why do people continue to use NWS forecasts as justification that a storm won't occur? They always take the conservative road. You will see that change a lot if the models tick NW again today.

I just posted a link to Mount Holly and I did not endorse their forecast any issues or questions please call the Mount Holly office - I was just making an observation :bag:

The 12Z NAM using its usual bias at 84 hours would lead me to believe the track should be too far east for us as of now...I'd expect near misses to continue to be the dominant idea on the GFS./Euro and ensembles today.

Have you looked at the 00z EPS individuals? Roughly half of them track inside the OP.

Archived