• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

With this pattern a closer in track would present p-type issues for the coast. The 0z Euro had the 850's and surface

temps above freezing for Long Island while much of the precip was falling since the SE Ridge was stronger on the

0Z run.  But a further east track than the 0z wouldn't have much precip anyway. 

Can I ask why you and NegNao continue to ignore the dynamics?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are still running two sets of GFS ensembles. The newer GEFS mean run off of what was the PGFS is stronger and closer to the coast.

The 2P5 selection? I don't think thats the parallel suite for the new T574 ensembles, but they are pretty much on top of the regular ensembles if you superimpose the images. 

Because we are discussing model output in this thread. With the progressive +AO pattern any change back

to snow would probably happen as the storm was rapidly pulling away without time to really sit in place and dump

for the coastal sections. 

I mean this in as friendly of a manner as possible. It's been so long since we had a solid threat that you're looking for the smallest reasons as to why it won't happen. A storm of this magnitude would generate its own cold air. You might lose the first hour or two to rain or mix but then all models show the strong dynamics taking over and temps crashing, all the way to the beaches.

Fotr the next 36 hours the only concern should be : trends from the GFS & the Euro (Ukmet and GG to lesser degree). So long as the structure continues to improve, the track  and interaction between northern and southern streams continue to blossom then we are sitting pretty 48 hours out.

Why were you making statements earlier about it being all snow at the coast in the first place?

I think you both make plausible points but leaning towards yanksfan's take if the storm takes shape the way the Euro showed last night (or even 30 miles west). Its a close call for sure at coast like most of our larger storms. The storm is still over 4 days out so I would throw up a caution making definitive statements in either direction.

Why were you making statements earlier about it being all snow at the coast in the first place?

The reason why LI was 33- 34 was because at 0Z  only .04 managed to fall on the Island. The 0Z OP was not a crush job , so the cooling aloft never makes it to the island .   .8 got to Monmouth County . 

On Long Island

850s

114 - 2

120  0 

126 - 1  Thats not Rain on a NE wind .( At least not yet ) . 

12Z running now , may make all these points irrelevant . I see your concern , but I think this gets cleared up shortly . 

WPC

ALONG THE EAST COAST...THE UNCERTAINTY IS WITH THE DEPTH OF THE
CYCLOGENESIS EMERGING OFF THE CAROLINA COAST LINE AND ITS
ASSOCIATED DEFORMATION PRECIPITATION SHIELD. THE WESTERN PERIPHERY
OF THIS DEFORMATION (OUR SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY)...WILL LIKELY BE
THE FOCAL POINT FOR WINTER P-TYPE CONDITIONS OVER THE WEEKEND. THE
SECOND IMPULSE---(OUR NORTHERN SYSTEM) IS A DEPTH CONCERN ACROSS
THE LOWER MO VALLEY TO THE MID-OHIO VALLEY...THEN A 'STRUCTURAL'
CHALLENGE ONCE THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS BEGIN TO INTERACT WITH THE
MID-LEVEL CIRCULATION. THERE IS ROOM FOR SECONDARY
CYCLOGENESIS---AND CONCERN...THIS SYSTEM WILL RE-ENERGIZE OFF THE
DELMARVA...BEFORE EJECTION INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES

Not that it matters but the gem ensembles are well west of 0z even though the ggem hasn't run yet haha.

Lol that's cheating ! But good news. I'm personally in the "if it comes further west, it'll still be snow" camp. I have a hard time believing that it will be primarily rain with a track closer. I would think it'd be more favorable for us in this case, with a bombing low

Archived