Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 products issued by NWS for: Pittsburgh PA

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA1045 AM EST SUN MAR 1 2015OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-PAZ020-021-029-073-074-WVZ001>003-012345-/O.CON.KPBZ.WW.Y.0018.000000T0000Z-150302T1200Z/TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING1045 AM EST SUN MAR 1 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND A LIGHT GLAZING OF ICE REMAINSIN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...WILL RANGE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES GENERALLY  SOUTH OF I-70...TO AS MUCH AS 6 TO 8 INCHES FROM NEW  PHILADELPHIA OHIO TO BEAVER FALLS TO KITTANNING...AS WELL AS THE  HIGHER RIDGES EAST OF GREENSBURGH AND UNIONTOWN. 4 TO 6 INCHES  ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE GREATER PITTSBURGH METROPOLITAN AREA. DUE  TO COMPACTION...MELTING AND SETTLING OF SNOW...ACTUAL SNOW  DEPTHS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER.* ICE ACCUMULATION...WHERE SNOW MELT OCCURS OR PRECIPITATION MIXES  WITH RAIN...A LIGHT GLAZE OF ICE IS POSSIBLE ON UNTREATED AND  EXPOSED ROADWAYS.* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A STEADY LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE  THROUGH THIS EVENING...POSSIBLY MIXING WITH OR CHANGING OVER TO  RAIN FOR A BRIEF PERIOD...ESPECIALLY SOUTH OF I-70. PERIODS OF  MODERATE SNOW...REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO 1/2 MILE AT TIMES...ARE  EXPECTED. ANY MIXED PRECIPITATION OR RAIN WILL GRADUALLY CHANGE  BACK OVER TO SNOW AFTER 7 PM.* SNOW ENDING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO GRADUALLY TAPER OFF TOWARD  MIDNIGHT.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW  ACCUMULATION AND A TRACE OF ICE. ADDITIONALLY...THE SNOW WILL BE  OF A VERY WET AND HEAVY CHARACTER. PERSONS SHOVELING SHOULD USE  EXTREME CAUTION AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS TO AVOID INJURY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT SNOWFALL WILL CAUSETRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS. REPORTSNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USINGTWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.&&$$

Yeah...when the intensity decreased. Maybe a bit.

Here and in the highlands right now it is all snow.

I live in Highlands. We Def had rain about an hour ago. Not doing much at the moment. I'm going to Somerset this afternoon. I'll try to get vids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Highlands. We Def had rain about an hour ago. Not doing much at the moment. I'm going to Somerset this afternoon. I'll try to get vids.

Sent from my iPhone

I wonder even with a more southerly wind, you still might be getting a slight downslope, enough to cause more rain.

Some of the p type radars are showing this, parallel to the ridges.

OK, it appears that the GFS was too warm around 925 hPa :poster_oops: , at least for 12z today from the 6z run.  Even the 12z run apparently intialized a bit warm.  Still think Greene Co., Morgantown switch to rain this afternoon.   Morgantown reported rain/snow mix at 11:36 a.m.  PIT could very well remain all snow...although I don't think rates will be high during much of the daylight hours.

I measured about 3.5" as well here in Butler County, and it has been all snow. It appears that many of the forecasts for today are going to be wrong as far as the rain/snow line placement and also where the heaviest snow would occur.

Still all snow here, when the rates slow down the flakes are rimmed and almost sleet like but when its heavier the flakes are still decent. I think one saving grace today thus far at least is that we havent had a lull in the precip for several hours.

I measured about 3 an hour ago. Seems like the ligher rates are having a hard time sticking to cleaned off surfaces now which I expected anyways with temperatures rising over freezing espeically duirng peak daylight hours. Fingers crossed we keep the warm air at bay this time. Even though its light sure would be nice to watch it snow all day. :snowing:

Archived