Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday into Monday event looks a hair warmer on the GFS to me, so maybe more rain than snow for those south of I80 but still time to fine tune that.

Living in southern Allegheny County, I'm anticipating more slop at best, just like last weekend. I think I'm about ready for spring at this point. Frigid temps with slop storms in between are no fun. Here's hoping that we don't see flooding next week.

Forecaster Bastardi: Cold Temps Set to Stay Through Mid-April

Old Man Winter's bone-chilling assault on the United States isn't over yet, says Joe Bastardi, chief forecaster for WeatherBELL Analytics.

"What we think is going to happen is we're going to continue running colder than normal through March and on into mid-April," Bastardi said

Obviously, March can't be as bad as February in terms of absolute temperatures.

"But to quote a dear friend of mine when I used to work at AccuWeather, Elliott Abrams, he would say, 'Spring may be right around the corner but it's a long haul to the end of the block.'"

As for the rest of the year, there's both positive and negative, according to Bastardi.

"The good news is we're looking at a similar summer to last year in the nation's breadbasket. The bad news is this pattern may continue for next winter, too," he said.

Living in southern Allegheny County, I'm anticipating more slop at best, just like last weekend. I think I'm about ready for spring at this point. Frigid temps with slop storms in between are no fun. Here's hoping that we don't see flooding next week.

This is very interesting. The NAM and GFS bring the rain-snow line right across Allegheny County but the Canadian keeps us all snow. It is usually the other way around where the Canadian is warmer. I still think we are looking at a 2-4 inch type of snow on Sunday with isolated 5 North.

I found out I have to drive to Johnstown Sunday so you know we will get slammed with snow for sure now. Book it! :pimp:

Is it to much to ask for something to trend south and colder when it would be in our benefit just once this winter?

I saw this in the comment section about the possible storm on NWS Facebook page. It gave me a chuckle:

11024694_10205102865883279_3855672624310

Seems there are a lot more people on there that comment about liking snow than disliking snow.

Seems the Euro likes the 3rd storm idea, similar to Canadian as well. GFS had it but lost it or its further east on 6z and 12z. That is getting pretty far our there though so expect that to change.

We should concentrate on Sunday storm. Euro / Canadian have 10 plus inches. Maybee it all trends to 9 inches. Nam has 6 same gfs 4. So let's say 4-8 inch for sunday?

We should concentrate on Sunday storm. Euro / Canadian have 10 plus inches. Maybee it all trends to 9 inches. Nam has 6 same gfs 4. So let's say 4-8 inch for sunday?

Whoa don't get ahead of yourself. I think this is a 2-4 storm with some 6 inch lollypops. I don't think we will see over 6 inches. Canadian does not have 10 plus inches.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
322 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015

PAZ007>009-013>016-280430-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0005.150301T0900Z-150302T1200Z/
MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GROVE CITY...FRANKLIN...TIONESTA...
NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...BROOKVILLE
322 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR 6 INCHES OR MORE.

* SNOW BEGINNING...LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* SNOW ENDING...SNOW WILL TAPER OFF EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO
REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW ACCUMULATION.

Regarding the storm watches, my zip code has a WSW, but my township doesn't have one, so I would guess it may stay more north of me.  Could change though-it's still early :)

I highly doubt there will be a WSW for AGC.  Last weeks storm was the blueprint.  We may get an advisory level warning at best and that would be for mainly northern AGC.

I highly doubt there will be a WSW for AGC.  Last weeks storm was the blueprint.  We may get an advisory level warning at best and that would be for mainly northern AGC.

What needs to happen for colder solution ?also this is diffrent set iup and scenario will be diffrent ,,wether the diffrence is more cold more snow or more rain or mix...what do we need to make the watch by noaa hit aleghenny county??

Archived