Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more i look at this, the more i dont like it. I think that its a relatively weak wave that actually winds up near Cleveland as it fizzles out. Then it looks like redevelopment in the NYC area and some wraparound snow. I guess it depends on where that primary winds up, but again it's not optimal.

This is what has me skeptical. We've seen this solution with a low tracking NW, but models under estimate WWA. Given its going to be lighter precip during the day this late in the season also adds another unfavorable ingredient to the mix. I will say it seems the trend has been for slightly cooler over the last 24 hours so we have that. If we can manage to get .5 .75 all snow, albeit low ratios (10:1 and lower) that would be a decent event. Its the time of year I move out of my snow pack camp and just want a big thump so if this can deliver a 5-6 inch event then great.

Its probably reasonable to expect an advisory at this point for Allegheny, and Westmoreland. Maybe extend the Watch \ Warning to Armstrong and Indiana. I'd say all counties North of i70 get an advisory though as usual Allegheny and Westmoreland will be the diving zone between advisory and warning criteria snows. This is of course assuming the 12z models today have accurately modeled the advance of the warm air.

The more i look at this, the more i dont like it. I think that its a relatively weak wave that actually winds up near Cleveland as it fizzles out. Then it looks like redevelopment in the NYC area and some wraparound snow. I guess it depends on where that primary winds up, but again it's not optimal.

Yeah, looks kind of like last Saturday's event.  Think about 1-3" snow in the morning, then break in the middle of the day.  Precip picks up during the afternoon as another wave approaches from the west, but temps should rise Butler and south, changing precip over to rain.  Cold front passes around 0z Mon, temps then start to fall but not much forcing left for precip after.  Might pick up another 1" snow after 0z Mon.

I am favoring rain Sunday afternoon because the 12z GFS 540 thickness line has trended north from the 6z run - so that now it is over PIT at 21z Sun and 0z Mon.  This is indicating a signifcant layer of warm air.  Last week this line only made it to the S PA/WV border and yet the rain/snow line made it all the way to the city.  

One note on the GFS QPF - I noticed last week it was overdoing liquid equivalent precip at PIT.  I think it might be having some trouble with orographic lift.  Seems like QPF closer to the OH/PA/N WV border is closer to reality than what it shows for eastern Allegheny, western Westmoreland Cos.

Yeah, looks kind of like last Saturday's event.  Think about 1-3" snow in the morning, then break in the middle of the day.  Precip picks up during the afternoon as another wave approaches from the west, but temps should rise Butler and south, changing precip over to rain.  Cold front passes around 0z Mon, temps then start to fall but not much forcing left for precip after.  Might pick up another 1" snow after 0z Mon.

I am favoring rain Sunday afternoon because the 12z GFS 540 thickness line has trended north from the 6z run - so that now it is over PIT at 21z Sun and 0z Mon.  This is indicating a signifcant layer of warm air.  Last week this line only made it to the S PA/WV border and yet the rain/snow line made it all the way to the city.  

One note on the GFS QPF - I noticed last week it was overdoing liquid equivalent precip at PIT.  I think it might be having some trouble with orographic lift.  Seems like QPF closer to the OH/PA/N WV border is closer to reality than what it shows for eastern Allegheny, western Westmoreland Cos.

So we will not get more than 4 inches? It's changing Sunday afternoon to rain ,,

Also u say one thing is not working on the gfs can that mean other things are not working properly on that model?

Well it's possible that if it is overdoing precip over eastern Allegheny, western Westmoreland that it is a bit too cool in the lower levels (away from the surface) due to too much dynamic cooling.

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0018.150301T0900Z-150302T1200Z/
GARRETT-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-PRESTON-TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...UNIONTOWN...CHAMPION...
OHIOPYLE...KINGWOOD...PARSONS
311 PM EST SAT FEB 28 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST
MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN
EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A TRACE OF ICING FROM SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS..1 TO 3 INCHES.

* SNOW BEGINNING...LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW/ICE...SUNDAY NIGHT. PRECIPITATION
BEGINS AS SNOW...AND MAY BRIEFLY MIX WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN
BY MIDDAY SUNDAY. A CHANGE TO RAIN IS EXPECTED SUNDAY
AFTERNOON...WITH PRECIPITATION CHANGING BACK TO SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ENDING...SNOW WILL TAPER OFF BY MIDMORNING MONDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW
ACCUMULATION AND A TRACE OF ICING ON ROADS.

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-PAZ020-021-029-073-074-WVZ001>003-
010415-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0018.150301T0900Z-150302T1200Z/
TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-
MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-
WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...
COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...
ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...
GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...WEIRTON...BETHANY...
WHEELING
311 PM EST SAT FEB 28 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST
MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TO
7 AM EST MONDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES.

* SNOW BEGINNING...LATE TONIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...LATE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING.
RAIN WILL MIX IN WITH THE SNOW SUNDAY AFTERNOON...BEFORE
CHANGING BACK TO SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ENDING...SNOW WILL TAPER OFF EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS..HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO
REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW ACCUMULATION.

Im thinking 2-3 honestly. When the WAA wants to invade it invades. There is nothing that can stop it. I would be shocked if the metro got more than 4.

18z nam still has the 0c 925 temp line cutting right through the area.

So yeah, at this point, the WAA is gonna do what it wants to do.

Nowcasting time once again.

Archived