Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on your preference, he is some glitter  of a different fashion... The Canadian brings us 6+ of snow then it brings us around 60 degrees 2 days later.

I'm not a big fan of warmups right after a decent snow (assuming we get it) but what can you expect for March. It does look like we go back into the icebox end of the week though. I wonder if we get one more reload of -epo and +pna mid march and another shot at snow before Spring really rolls.

I'm not a big fan of warmups right after a decent snow (assuming we get it) but what can you expect for March. It does look like we go back into the icebox end of the week though. I wonder if we get one more reload of -epo and +pna mid march and another shot at snow before Spring really rolls.

I am not picky. I will take 80 degrees the day after a 20 inch snowfall. Isn't that what we all just want anyway? The big storm? I remember March of 93 Blizzard and the 24 inches or so was melted off in a week. No biggie. Actually it is usually better to have it melt off quickly. Then you do not get roof damage or damage to your gutters or stuck inside for days. Unless of course you are near a river. Then you have to worry about flooding.

Who ever looks at all the models. What are the best snow amounts ?? Per model or models.

Well the 18z GFS for example has at least .5 qpf for the whole area but temps looks iffy so you can't say for sure. But if I had to make a guess right now based on current guidance I'd say 2-4 from the city South and 3-5 from the city North.

Wow - no Jan '94 on that list?? Must have been a warm period in with the brutal...and i mean brutal cold

I think there was. We had a major snowstorm early in the month. Major arctic outbreak about the middle of the month. Then a major warm up that caused a lot of flooding with the snow melt. That was a crazy January.

Lets see what the models say tonight before having any clue whats gonna happen. I think mother nature has one more trick up her sleeve before changing to a more spring like pattern.

I would even say wait until 0z Sunday and watch the short term models.  I am not buying into any solution from any models until then. Given the borderline event, it will require now casting/radar watching like last weeks.  

Tuesday and Wednesday are going to feel good Temp wise to where we have been.

Spring Soccer starts in 2 weeks, and my adult league starts the following week, hoping for some warmer temps :)

Hopefully the qpf is over done though... 1.5 - 2 inches of rain on top of 1-2 inches of liquid equivalent snow going onto frozen ground would lead to most of that being pure runoff. Combine that with the ice covered river and there could be some major flooding concerns. Still a ways off yet but I'd be watching closely if I lived in flood prone  regions. One thing is for sure, that setup would melt off the snow pack and wash all the salt off the roads at least.

gfs_namer_132_precip_p24.gif

Archived