joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

37/12 here, but I expect the temp to fall to somewhere around freezing once the precip gets going in earnest.  Don't think we will get much accretion here except maybe untreated roadways.  It's been down around zero several nights the past week and the ground is frozen solid.  I don't think there is going to much that runs off on those roads once the sun goes down unless we really over perform on temps.

Soundings on most models seem more sleety to me so I'm not convinced we pull off that amount of ice but it's a close one.  It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Wondering if the best icing may end up just north of IND proper.

Final call for LAF:  2-3" snow/sleet, 0.1" or less zr....and hopefully not any plain rain  tongue.png

Yeah, I would agree with the soundings. Just having a sneaking feeling the ZR ends up a little further north...

Soundings on most models seem more sleety to me so I'm not convinced we pull off that amount of ice but it's a close one.  It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Wondering if the best icing may end up just north of IND proper.

Final call for LAF:  2-3" snow/sleet, 0.1" or less zr....and hopefully not any plain rain  :P

At this point, I think I'd be surprised if we see any snow at all. Warmth is definitely over-performing, so I'm thinking a 50/50 cocktail of mix and cold rain.

34˚/17˚ here right now, and rapidly rising...

At this point, I think I'd be surprised if we see any snow at all. Warmth is definitely over-performing, so I'm thinking a 50/50 cocktail of mix and cold rain.

Looks like we might wear it in terms of sleet.  Hoping we can get some last minute alteration here.  Could start as a brief period of flakes at onset (not necessarily counting on it) before we deal with the messy stuff.  I think we'll change to snow eventually but my 2-3" factors in sleet and I think the straight snow will only amount to an inch, maybe two. 

32/20 at my place. Decided to fire up the grill in this heatwave... so that may or may not contribute to the warm temps :)

Some of the local (IND) mets on twitter (BAM being one) is saying that this rise in temp is expected and then will drop to 31 when the precip arrives.  I tend to trust you all more than the locals.  What do you think/see? I live in between 70 and 74 on the west side of Indy.

I think that's right. There's a decent temperature/dewpoint spread right now, so temps should cool as precip arrives. As to what p-type, difficult to tell...but freezing rain and sleet is a good bet in your hood. Also, cold ground temps will probably have something to say as well, even if temps eventually get to a shade or two above freezing.

So, why are some of the LAF crew worried about rain? I don't understand this complex of a system so just curious :)

I think that's right. There's a decent temperature/dewpoint spread right now, so temps should cool as precip arrives. As to what p-type, difficult to tell...but freezing rain and sleet is a good bet in your hood. Also, cold ground temps will probably have something to say as well, even if temps eventually get to a shade or two above freezing.

So, why are some of the LAF crew worried about rain? I don't understand this complex of a system so just curious :)

It's really only me and my pessimistic LAF view. Pay no attention to MBY bias. I'm an idiot. :lol:

It is a rather complex system though. Tough on people who do it for a living. Still, plan on some kind of wintry cocktail later today. Might not be pretty for awhile tonight.

Archived