• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Lawn thread Part 2

Damage In Tolland

Completely blew my back-out yesterday on the leaf clean up. The lawnmower catchbag ripped. Can't even stand-up straight, could break a two-by-four over my lowerback. Oh the pain

Wanted to put in the Tulip bulbs in today. Couch potato today. Silverlining is that my neighbor offered use of his snowblower. Made a deal that I will not utilize unless it's the real wet crap or over a foot.

The dreaded kiss-of-death, ah, bring it on!

Great to be online again. Funny how it fealt. Never know what you have till it's gone. A new beginning.

Well even though you look up at the Oaks and think they are bare, somehow thereks always more leaves to come down. They were raining down today so next weekend will be it. One more blowing and then Ill mow it short so the blades are sticking up if there's 2 inches of snow. My neoigjbors blower actually moves acorns, so that disaster has been solved. I put down the final step of Leso fert today. This is the most important step of the season as it provides nitrogen for tjhe lawn thru dormant season and early spring green up with the slow release. I have my 2 neighbors now using Lesco when they saw the results of mine. I'll be so happy when the final straggling leaves come down this week. Nice to have no yardwork worries after nexxt weekend until next spring.

Kevin will take satisfaction that I actually got out the leaf blower. Continuing to work on the area that I've cleared. Managed to get the current years leaves blown into the field. But, I have many layers of leaves from falls past that are paste on the ground, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just seed right over it in the spring. There's some rich composted leaves to be sure. I think the grass will grow, but can it take root through the leaves? Kevin--your thoughts?

Well even though you look up at the Oaks and think they are bare, somehow thereks always more leaves to come down. They were raining down today so next weekend will be it. One more blowing and then Ill mow it short so the blades are sticking up if there's 2 inches of snow. My neoigjbors blower actually moves acorns, so that disaster has been solved. I put down the final step of Leso fert today. This is the most important step of the season as it provides nitrogen for tjhe lawn thru dormant season and early spring green up with the slow release. I have my 2 neighbors now using Lesco when they saw the results of mine. I'll be so happy when the final straggling leaves come down this week. Nice to have no yardwork worries after nexxt weekend until next spring.

at least 2 more clean-ups to go here. leaves still on some of the oaks and neighbors have yet to clean up their yards, so any wind = leaves in my yard. still, looks good for a day.

Final rake today but just before first honest-to-goodness snowstorm I'll do a quick sweep and pick up any stragglers before they get compacted into the grass by the snowpack. Easier to do it now than in May.

Got a question, Blizz - I did some overseeding in September and used some starter fertilizer on it. I don't like to keep fertilizer over the winter, so I spread the rest of the bag over the lawn. My question is, is it ok for me to apply winterizer or would that be too much fertilizing in a short time?

Kevin will take satisfaction that I actually got out the leaf blower. Continuing to work on the area that I've cleared. Managed to get the current years leaves blown into the field. But, I have many layers of leaves from falls past that are paste on the ground, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just seed right over it in the spring. There's some rich composted leaves to be sure. I think the grass will grow, but can it take root through the leaves? Kevin--your thoughts?

It will most likely not come up thru rotted, old, wet leaves unless it's a thin layer. Leaves choke out and suffocate the grass..so get them off the seed.

So I have what smells and appears to be green onion grass overtaking part of my lawn. It thrives in the spring and fall, and gets worse with each cycle. I've been putting down weed killer in the spring, but it seems unaffected. Any tips for getting rid of it?

Is it actually wild onions? I ask because my mom, who lives in coastal RI, has her backyard full of it. Smells ok sometimes, kinda strong others (esp after cutting)

Is it actually wild onions? I ask because my mom, who lives in coastal RI, has her backyard full of it. Smells ok sometimes, kinda strong others (esp after cutting)

I assume so...at first I thought it was some sort of fungus...it really doesn't respond much to fungus treatment. It smells strongly of green onions after being cut. Admittedly I haven't actually tried pulling it up to check the roots. What ever it is it has become an eyesore and I want it gone!

So I have what smells and appears to be green onion grass overtaking part of my lawn. It thrives in the spring and fall, and gets worse with each cycle. I've been putting down weed killer in the spring, but it seems unaffected. Any tips for getting rid of it?

Sounds like it might be Wild onion..which is hard to get rid of. You need to put some really strong weed killer..like Lesco..and it may require 2 treatments in the spring a few weeks apart. i would consult your local lawn care place to see how much and when to apply..or maybe even online?

I assume so...at first I thought it was some sort of fungus...it really doesn't respond much to fungus treatment. It smells strongly of green onions after being cut. Admittedly I haven't actually tried pulling it up to check the roots. What ever it is it has become an eyesore and I want it gone!

If it looks like little bulbs, it is probably onion...

Blizz will have your yard looking like they can play the Masters on it in no time. Of course you will need to wear a Level A Hazmat suit, but whatever...

I did a small amount of research and came up with this potential solution:

This works fast, safe, and cheap. Get gallons of white vinegar, and give each clump of wild onions a small drink. Too much will just "run off" and be wasted. Now the soil is wet so it will absorb better. Give each clump a larger drink. In a day or two, they will be flat on the ground. More vinegar may not be needed; but I like to give a last drink to be sure. My idea is the acid kills the roots; so don't bother with the green stalks.

I've never used this, so I can't confirm if it works or not. I'd probably try this and, if it doesn't work, then bring out the napalm like Kevin suggested.

I did a small amount of research and came up with this potential solution:

This works fast, safe, and cheap. Get gallons of white vinegar, and give each clump of wild onions a small drink. Too much will just "run off" and be wasted. Now the soil is wet so it will absorb better. Give each clump a larger drink. In a day or two, they will be flat on the ground. More vinegar may not be needed; but I like to give a last drink to be sure. My idea is the acid kills the roots; so don't bother with the green stalks.

I've never used this, so I can't confirm if it works or not. I'd probably try this and, if it doesn't work, then bring out the napalm like Kevin suggested.

yeah...that sounds like its worth a shot...if they're still hanging around in the spring, I'll have to take it to the next level.

It will most likely not come up thru rotted, old, wet leaves unless it's a thin layer. Leaves choke out and suffocate the grass..so get them off the seed.

Kevin--I was actually looking to put the seed on top of the mat of leaves from the piror years. ALready got rid of the new ones. I'm hoping the old will provide nutrients so it'll grow like gangbuster (whatever the hell that means). Dave says the decayd leaves would instead require me to put down lime. Can that be done before the snow or should it wait until spring?

Isn't great that we have the resident landscaper on the boards?

Kevin--I was actually looking to put the seed on top of the mat of leaves from the piror years. ALready got rid of the new ones. I'm hoping the old will provide nutrients so it'll grow like gangbuster (whatever the hell that means). Dave says the decayd leaves would instead require me to put down lime. Can that be done before the snow or should it wait until spring?

Isn't great that we have the resident landscaper on the boards?

Oh then yeah that'll work. That should provide them a good base to gow.

Leaves are acidic..so that's why he told you to lime. use lime pellets..not the white powder.

I would wait till spring cuz you'll risk erosion or animals eating the seed now since it won't germinate

Oh then yeah that'll work. That should provide them a good base to gow.

Leaves are acidic..so that's why he told you to lime. use lime pellets..not the white powder.

I would wait till spring cuz you'll risk erosion or animals eating the seed now since it won't germinate

how the hell do you have 110 posts already..geez

Archived