Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

2 hours ago, NEOH said:

Lot's of branches down this morning after last nights storm. Slept right through it unfortunately. Anyone have radar images? Woke up and my yard was covered in branches and leaves. Lots of large branches down in spots.

Yep, lots of leaves and branches down.  Saw a few good sized trees down near Solon too.   The wind was very impressive!   I believe the warning mentioned 60 mpH winds. 

You can view historical radar data here, but I can't get yesterday's to work properly. www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/oh/cleveland/cle/history/?date=2016-07-13

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Yep, lots of leaves and branches down.  Saw a few good sized trees down near Solon too.   The wind was very impressive!   I believe the warning mentioned 60 mpH winds. 

You can view historical radar data here, but I can't get yesterday's to work properly. www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/oh/cleveland/cle/history/?date=2016-07-13

Thanks DTA... I can't get the historical radar to work either. I wonder if there were a few spin-ups as well. The damage is sporadic... but localized spots have pretty severe tree damage. Lost about 6 good size trees in the wooded part of my yard.

Here are radar images from when the storm was hitting your area the hardest

KWCnKX.png

TjtkSV.png

There was a good amount of dry air in the atmosphere, so the downdrafts with the storms were strong. I don't see signs of any spin-ups on radar, and low level shear wasn't strong enough for spin-up tornadoes with a squall line. It looks like the line bowed out a little bit as it moved over Bainbridge/South Russel and also had a more intense cell with it at that point, which may have contributed to some locally stronger microbursts in your area. Driving around today in Solon/Reminderville/Twinsburg/Macedona and even towards Brecksville and down towards Boston on the tow path there were fairly numerous medium to large sized limbs down and a few trees here and there that were snapped...so I'd image there were fairly widespread 50-60MPH wind gusts over northern Summit County. I drove around down Pettibone/306/43 last night around midnight. Power was out in that area and there were a few spots where I saw several trees snapped closer together, likely indicating stronger wind gusts...possibly on the order of 70MPH or so. All of the trees appeared to be snapped in a W-E direction indicating straight line winds and not a tornado. This coincides with where the line started to bow out. The velocities are are from the same direction in this area at 40-50 knots...given favorable conditions for strong downdrafts, the bow echo on radar, and the fairly decent velocities to go along with pockets of more intense tree damage, this bow likely produced 60-70MPH gusts across Geagua County and into southern Ashtabula and Trumbull counties where there were reports of fairly widespread trees down. All in all not a terrible little event. Maybe we can get some more on Monday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was a record hot summer for Cleveland and Akron. Just persistent warmth all summer long. In fact, in the last 65 days, only 5 have had average temperatures below average and those days were just barely below average. You have to go back over 2 months to find a day that was more than 4 degrees below average. As always around this time of year, we start to watch the lake temps. Lake Erie is boiling, so hopefully we can cash in come winter. Hopefully no more SW wind events to start this winter.

SXUS71 KCLE 070049
RERCLE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
848 PM EDT TUE SEP 6 2016

RECORD WARMTH AT CLEVELAND AND AKRON CANTON FOR SUMMER 2016. MANSFIELD HAD THE
2ND WARMEST SUMMER ON RECORD.

CLEVELAND 2016 SUMMER SEASON MEAN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 75.5 REPLACED THE
RECORD OF 75.1 SET DURING THE SUMMER OF 1949.

AKRON CANTON 2016 SUMMER SEASON MEAN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 74.2 BEAT OUT
THE PREVIOUS RECORDS OF 73.8 SET DURING THE SUMMERS OF 1991 AND 1931.

MANSFIELD 2016 SUMMER SEASON MEAN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 73.7 TIED WITH 2ND
WARMEST SUMMER SET IN 1995. WHILE RECORD WARMEST SUMMER REMAINS AT 74 SET IN

$$

THOMPSON

What I'll remember about this Summer is not so much the heat but the humidity. Amazing to have such consistent high humidity with little rain. Yesterday was as humid as I've felt it around here... the rain earlier in the day was much needed.

Hopefully we can hold on to some of this warmth for LES season...

eswt-00.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Lake Erie temperature anomalies are just insane right now. I can only imagine what will happen if this keeps up.

Since the 4th of July CLE has only had 6 days with a negative temp departure. It's just been an unreal stretch of persistent warmth. 

• 2 weeks later...

The heat continues. Even the "cooler temps" this week have still been above average. This graph below tells it all. This is the daily temperature departure from CLE everyday this year. departure.png

Except for a few isolated days, the past 3 months have had above average temperatures nearly every day. Only 25% of days this year have been between -3 and +3 degrees above average. Our weather is certainly just one extreme or the other, 28% of days this year were higher than +10 or colder than -10.

22 minutes ago, Trent said:

The heat continues. Even the "cooler temps" this week have still been above average. This graph below tells it all. This is the daily temperature departure from CLE everyday this year.

Except for a few isolated days, the past 3 months have had above average temperatures nearly every day. Only 25% of days this year have been between -3 and +3 degrees above average. Our weather is certainly just one extreme or the other, 28% of days this year were higher than +10 or colder than -10.

Blame it on the TV show

BpzrZHm.jpg

23 hours ago, OHweather said:

Looks like the 2nd warmest September on record at CLE, after the hottest August on record and hottest June-August period on record.

June was also the 11th hottest on record and July was 5th hottest on record. It really has been a remarkable stretch of warm/hot weather. Here is the daily departure at CLE over the past 3 months. I wouldn't have thought a chart like this was possible. To run a 3 month average departure of +5.6 for this time of year is just incredible. I'm surprised this hasn't been more newsworthy. Eventually this pattern has to break and at that time it'll be cold enough for snow, so perhaps we'll have a snowy start to winter. Imagine this chart reversed for Dec-Feb!:snowman:

CLE_3_Months.png

57 minutes ago, Trent said:

June was also the 11th hottest on record and July was 5th hottest on record. It really has been a remarkable stretch of warm/hot weather. Here is the daily departure at CLE over the past 3 months. I wouldn't have thought a chart like this was possible. To run a 3 month average departure of +5.6 for this time of year is just incredible. I'm surprised this hasn't been more newsworthy. Eventually this pattern has to break and at that time it'll be cold enough for snow, so perhaps we'll have a snowy start to winter. Imagine this chart reversed for Dec-Feb!:snowman:

CLE_3_Months.png

It's hard to believe we're getting into October now. It still feels like late summer; no really chilly days or nights yet, and there's almost no color either. I think this "hot stretch" hasn't been as news-worthy due to a lack of eye popping record highs...and also the drought improving before it really started getting severe (I think Cleveland was in "severe drought" for one week, and then it rained a fair bit). A few daily records were broken through the summer and into September, but I believe the hottest was 95. It was consistent warmth and mild nights that really brought up our average temp for the summer. Hard to believe that October almost always sees the first frost away from the immediate lake and sometimes even the first flakes with how warm it still is.

51 minutes ago, OHweather said:

It's hard to believe we're getting into October now. It still feels like late summer; no really chilly days or nights yet, and there's almost no color either.

CLE hasn't dipped below 50 degrees since May 23rd. It's getting around that time for places to start having their first frosts of year and we haven't even been able to hit upper 40s yet. 

Given the warmth this summer/fall and last winter's no show, it's felt like living somewhere in Virginia or North Carolina. 

On 10/4/2016 at 9:21 PM, Trent said:

CLE hasn't dipped below 50 degrees since May 23rd. It's getting around that time for places to start having their first frosts of year and we haven't even been able to hit upper 40s yet. 

Given the warmth this summer/fall and last winter's no show, it's felt like living somewhere in Virginia or North Carolina. 

I know it's been kinda rough for awhile, but hopefully your patience will be rewarded in November, even there on the west side.

Also we tend to do better here in Pgh, when you folks on the west side do well.

So I'll be rooting for y'all. lol

Definitely starting to see some color on the trees now, as well as some leaves falling .  Seems a few weeks behind.   Hopefully this isn't the year we get a big early lake effect event with all of the trees holding leaves for a few weeks longer than normal.  Looks like 40s for lows appearing in the forecast now.  

What I'll remember about this Summer is not so much the heat but the humidity. Amazing to have such consistent high humidity with little rain. Yesterday was as humid as I've felt it around here... the rain earlier in the day was much needed.

Hopefully we can hold on to some of this warmth for LES season...

eswt-00.gif

I disagree. While it was pretty humid in those later months, May-mid July was actually a terrific dry heat. Wasn't until late July that the major humidity kicked in

First frost advisory for the inland counties tonight, just days after we remarked how warm it's been staying. Works like a charm every time, although we will warm right back up in a couple days. GFS and Euro hinting at another warm shot, possibly into the 80s, in a week or so. Maybe we can get a more legitimate cold shot after that but I'm not holding my breath. 

CLE recorded its first temperature in the 40s yesterday since May 23rd. Yesterday was also the first day in the past 30 to have a negative temp departure. Today doesn't look to have a negative departure so we will continue to wait to be able to string more than 2 days with a negative temp at CLE, which last happened 100 days ago!

45 minutes ago, Trent said:

CLE recorded its first temperature in the 40s yesterday since May 23rd. Yesterday was also the first day in the past 30 to have a negative temp departure. Today doesn't look to have a negative departure so we will continue to wait to be able to string more than 2 days with a negative temp at CLE, which last happened 100 days ago!

You guys over there just wait. 2012 had to be balanced out and you're gonna get "balanced out" sooner than later as well..

20160816 Winter 2016-17 Fcast.PNG

On 10/8/2016 at 4:21 PM, dta1984 said:

Definitely starting to see some color on the trees now, as well as some leaves falling .  Seems a few weeks behind.   Hopefully this isn't the year we get a big early lake effect event with all of the trees holding leaves for a few weeks longer than normal.  Looks like 40s for lows appearing in the forecast now.  

Had some frost on the rooftops Monday morning. The leaves are definitely late this year... by at least 2 weeks compared to previous years. Color is really starting to pop now after the past few cool nights.

Finally! Lows back in the 30s last night, albeit short lived and lakeshore areas were low 40s.

The southeast regional climate center has a feature to look up weather streaks. Thought there were a couple interesting ones this year for Cleveland. 

The 35 consecutive days above 80 this summer was the 3rd longest stretch.

The 111 consecutive days above 70 this year was the longest stretch in Cleveland.

Currently it's been 152 consecutive days above 60 which is the second longest streak. The record is 154 days and the forecast calls for highs above 60 all next week so this will be broken.

I'll be glad to finally flip the switch to cold in Mid November. If this winter decides to "even itself out" from the prior 6 months, it's going to have to be a harsh one. 

20 hours ago, dta1984 said:

What a day for mid October!   75 still right now, saw 78 around mid day.   The past few days have been extremely nice.   Looks like after friday, 50s in the extended.  

It is nice out there. Too bad the winds are bringing down the leaves down so quickly. Would be nice to have a few calm days to enjoy the color. Amazing how fast we went from green to almost full color.

Let's keep the warmth going until mid-November. Might be year when the early season cold fronts don't cool the lake down significantly prior to the 1st snow.

On 10/14/2016 at 3:06 PM, Trent said:

Finally! Lows back in the 30s last night, albeit short lived and lakeshore areas were low 40s.

The southeast regional climate center has a feature to look up weather streaks. Thought there were a couple interesting ones this year for Cleveland. 

The 35 consecutive days above 80 this summer was the 3rd longest stretch.

The 111 consecutive days above 70 this year was the longest stretch in Cleveland.

Currently it's been 152 consecutive days above 60 which is the second longest streak. The record is 154 days and the forecast calls for highs above 60 all next week so this will be broken.

I'll be glad to finally flip the switch to cold in Mid November. If this winter decides to "even itself out" from the prior 6 months, it's going to have to be a harsh one. 

Trent - Are we on track for record warm year? Those stats are pretty amazing.

25 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Trent - Are we on track for record warm year? Those stats are pretty amazing.

We're about neck and neck with 2012 right now. November and December would need to average about 2.8 degrees above normal to clinch warmest year on record. 

I'm betting that won't happen. I think we'll see the flip to winter around Thanksgiving. December could be interesting with Lake Erie and its record warm temps. It would be nice to finally get a winter with sustained cold and snow before Christmas.

23 hours ago, Trent said:

We're about neck and neck with 2012 right now. November and December would need to average about 2.8 degrees above normal to clinch warmest year on record. 

I'm betting that won't happen. I think we'll see the flip to winter around Thanksgiving. December could be interesting with Lake Erie and its record warm temps. It would be nice to finally get a winter with sustained cold and snow before Christmas.

Thanks. Amazing stretch of warmth. Yeah... the switch has to flip at some point. Let's just keep lake erie nice and warm until then. Lake temps are still in the mid 60's...
looks like that is right around average for the date which is surprising.

eswt-00.gif