Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

17.5" for the event so far.

Nothing fell during the day yesterday (Friday), but 7.5" overnight thru 8:45am this morning. Heading out of town now and it is snowing at a heavy clip. Think I am going to miss out on a good chunk of snow the next 9 or so days. Hope you all get lots of the white stuff. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Tough one to miss out on, but at least there is snow on the ground. Hopefully we will add some tomorrow. A flip to rain looks inevitable though.

Maybe this one will be an overachiever for us.   I believe it has trended south a tad.   Not sure what the Euro showed last night though . .

Going 3-5" for all of us right now. Nice prolonged overrunning should drop 2-3" for us through early tmr afternoon. After that we are on the cusp of dry slot and mixing issues. Any further trend south is huge for us. We are riding knife's edge..:should see snow but the back half of the storm could make or break it in terms of bigger amounts. 

I'm going to make a map of observed snowfall from this lake effect event based on reports and radar. If any of you have amounts to report from NE OH or NW PA that you haven't posted already, please do post them so I can include them. 

The January 17-19th event last winter also had a swath of 2 foot totals in a similar area as this event...although I believe this event had a larger 2'+ area east of Cleveland and had higher max amounts...still trying to figure out if anyone officially broke 3 feet. I'm almost certain a couple spots tickled that number, but a spotter report of it would be nice. 

9 hours ago, OHweather said:

I'm going to make a map of observed snowfall from this lake effect event based on reports and radar. If any of you have amounts to report from NE OH or NW PA that you haven't posted already, please do post them so I can include them. 

The January 17-19th event last winter also had a swath of 2 foot totals in a similar area as this event...although I believe this event had a larger 2'+ area east of Cleveland and had higher max amounts...still trying to figure out if anyone officially broke 3 feet. I'm almost certain a couple spots tickled that number, but a spotter report of it would be nice. 

While I didn't measure anything ....I will say the jackpot was definitely around route 6 in Kirtland .   Driving on 306 a few miles north of 322 the snow picked up considerably passed Wilson mills.   Once you get to the high school in Kirtland , it did seem to drop off....still 12"+ though .   Mentor Avenue area was probably between 8-12". The southern edge was not far from here.   Washington St probably only 1".

From a friend, she thinks Edinboro got about 8" yesterday. Sounds plausible - from radar and webcams, looked like snow / heavy snow all morning and afternoon til it lifted north around 4pm. With that and my measurements,  would be around 24" for the event: 7.5 Thursday, 1.5 Thurs night, 0 Friday, 7 Friday night, 8 Saturday.

12 hours ago, OHweather said:

Friend of mine lives on the Kirtland/Willoughby border -- measured 30" there. Another friend in Concord just north of Chardon measured 26".

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Hopefully we'll see an uptick in the snow intensity. Nice all day snowfall though. It will interesting to see how far north the dry slot and warmer air can make.

Intensity has picked up the past hour or so.  Looks like a small dry slot headed this way. 

Certainly a frustrating start to winter here on the west side. Less than 2" from the lake effect event at the end of the week and a disappointing long duration 2" yesterday that ended up mixing with rain by the evening. We've been above freezing all night, which has eroded what little snow cover we had.

It's weeks like this that make me wonder what kind of meteorological set ups CLE needs to get their ~68" average snowfall each season. 

3 hours ago, dta1984 said:

I'm going with a 6" storm total.  There was more accumulation after my last measurement ,  but definitely melted quite a bit.

I didn't get out to measure before the temp went above freezing... but somewhere in the 5-6" range seems right. This stuff is going to a glacier after tonight.

3 hours ago, NEOH said:

I wonder what the next round of LES this week will bring. For those of who missed the last event hopefully the winds have a more NW component. Strong winds and dry arctic air usually are great for heavy LES but BUF seems to be on board with a significant event.

Cle mentions this in a hwo and also discussion .  3-5" + seems their early guess.   Really hoping we get something to set up a little further south this time.

Snow depth here is somewhere between a trace and an inch. Grass is poking through most lawns with a lot of bare patches. It's hard to believe that just a few miles away it's a completely different scene. 

The set up this week could be a rich get even richer LES scenario. Hopefully things end up being a little more south to spread the wealth. Nothing worse than an arctic cold blast and bare grass. 

2 hours ago, Trent said:

Snow depth here is somewhere between a trace and an inch. Grass is poking through most lawns with a lot of bare patches. It's hard to believe that just a few miles away it's a completely different scene. 

The set up this week could be a rich get even richer LES scenario. Hopefully things end up being a little more south to spread the wealth. Nothing worse than an arctic cold blast and bare grass. 

I feel ya buddy!