• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

I think those to the east will retain some snowpack. High dewpoints really melt snow and the dewpoints don't look to get too high this weekend compared to other winter thaws this season. The sun tomorrow could do a number in unshaded spots though. I bet a couple inches remain in the snow belt. Bare grass will certainly be common for the west side.

Looks like we will break out into full sun this afternoon. As long at the DP's remain low we may salvage some snow. The strong winds and sun will do their dirty work though.

Snowpack is melting rapidly. Up to 51/37 Imby. Probably only piles left by morning.

In the end, the thaws always over perform. It still looked like deep winter when I left for work this morning and by the time I got home, only a few driveway snow piles. It's incredible how quickly it melted. With above freezing temps through Sunday, I'm sure the snow is now toast pretty much across the region.

The winter torches always over perform. Lots of places pushing 70 degrees today. CGF hit 70 and BKL probably came close. I think the forecasts this morning were only for mid 50s too.

Interestingly last year on this day CLE hit -17 with many interior locations falling to around -30. For some spots, today is 100 degrees warmer than the same day last year. Incredible stuff.

The mid week storm should set the stage for a nice lake enhancement event as the low pulls off to the NE. After this weekend's warm up, a lot of the ice on Erie melted. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Maybe its just the time of the year but I don't have that much interest in the storm. My guess is the storm moves right over CLE. Even if it took a more easterly track temps are marginal at best. Should be a decent lake enhancement set-up though as you mentioned.

No doubt this will be a big rainstorm as the low probably comes over us, but the consistency among models showing decent backlash and enhanced snows after is interesting. Lock it in, this will be CLE's biggest snow of the year, but it won't take much to do it.

The mid week storm should set the stage for a nice lake enhancement event as the low pulls off to the NE. After this weekend's warm up, a lot of the ice on Erie melted. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

It is definitely getting more interesting. Seems the trend has been back to the east a little since yesterday. Several models put 3-6" near cle. Could be a nice storm if there's a little more enhancement to top it off.

It is definitely getting more interesting. Seems the trend has been back to the east a little since yesterday. Several models put 3-6" near cle. Could be a nice storm if there's a little more enhancement to top it off.

There's been a lot of consistency with the back side snows from most of the models. This is pretty much CLE's bread and butter type snowfall - getting missed by a low pressure overhead or just to the west, but getting hit with lake enhanced back side snows.

NAM spits out 8" for CLE, pretty good hit.

There's been a lot of consistency with the back side snows from most of the models. This is pretty much CLE's bread and butter type snowfall - getting missed by a low pressure overhead or just to the west, but getting hit with lake enhanced back side snows.

NAM spits out 8" for CLE, pretty good hit.

If there were colder temps behind the storm it would be an ideal set up. Lakeshore areas will probably flip well before inland areas with lake temps hovering around freezing. There is going to be a sharp gradient with the snow... Check out the counties SE Michigan. From 3" to 10"+ In just a few miles.

Crazy to string together 4-5 days of near full sun in Cleveland in February.

As of today, CLE is even running a snowfall deficit for February. The lake enhancement at the end of the week still looks good, so it's possible CLE actually has above normal snow for February, but the synoptic misses still continue.

Winter Weather Advisory issued for 4-6" tonight and tomorrow. Tight temperature gradient today with mid 50s east side and mid 30s west and lakeshore.

Looks like the leftover scraps of this storm could end up being CLE's largest snow of the season.

Winter Weather Advisory issued for 4-6" tonight and tomorrow. Tight temperature gradient today with mid 50s east side and mid 30s west and lakeshore.

Looks like the leftover scraps of this storm could end up being CLE's largest snow of the season.

Didn't realize the temp gradient across the area... right at 50 here in Chagrin. Just checked and BKL is at 36. I guess with winds out of the NE that makes sense. I bet the lakeshore areas do pretty well with the fast turnover once the storm passes. It will be a slushfest tomorrow.

We'll see if the radar starts to light up this afternoon. So far, the snow has been unimpressive. We are going to struggle to meet advisory criteria unless it starts pouring snow this afternoon.

Yep, hopefully it will improve. There are a few yellow moderate pockets starting to show up as it shifts east.

Didn't measure this morning, but probably 1/2" in the grass.

It looks like the higher terrain is finally seeing better snow. I'd have to imagine accumulations of half an inch per hour are occurring, and moderate to briefly heavy snow in the higher terrain will continue for a while. Closer to the lakeshore it'll be more of a struggle.

It's funny how the heaviest snow is in Lorain/Medina/Summit where no advisories exist.

I'd imagine things will pick up later this afternoon.

Perhaps the folks at the higher elevations are doing better, but based on the radar you'd think it would be snowing a lot harder than it is. Still struggling to get accumulations here with maybe a few tenths down.

It's snowing pretty good in Chardon, with some on the roads and a good accumulation on the grass. Pretty sad if the lakeshore doesn't even squeak in 1" out of this.

It's snowing pretty good in Chardon, with some on the roads and a good accumulation on the grass. Pretty sad if the lakeshore doesn't even squeak in 1" out of this.

Visibility is dropping but there's just not much sticking/falling from the sky. The radar (at least for the lakeshore) is extremely overdone.

Even the latest METAR from CLE shows this with 1/4 mile visibility but only 0.01" liquid the past hour.

I think we can file this event under bust. What a disaster winter this has been for snow.

Visibility is dropping but there's just not much sticking/falling from the sky. The radar (at least for the lakeshore) is extremely overdone.

Even the latest METAR from CLE shows this with 1/4 mile visibility but only 0.01" liquid the past hour.

I think we can file this event under bust. What a disaster winter this has been for snow.

METAR obs. don't show much all the time, especially if it's windy like it is now.