PM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...AND WYOMING COUNTIES INCLUDING THE
BUFFALO METRO AREA.

* TIMING...ADVISORY FROM LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE MONDAY
AFTERNOON. LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING FROM EARLY MONDAY EVENING
THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* HAZARDS...A GENERAL LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW LATER TONIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY. LOCALIZED VERY HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW ALONG WITH BLOWING
AND DRIFTING SNOW MONDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATING 1 TO 2 INCHES OVERNIGHT AND 2
TO 4 INCHES MONDAY LEADING TO TOTALS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES FROM THE
GENERAL SNOW. LOCALIZED AMOUNTS OF AROUND 2 FEET IN THE MOST
PERSISTENT BANDS MONDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH LATE MONDAY
NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE IN THE GENERAL SNOW LATER
TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY. NEAR ZERO AT TIMES LATER MONDAY NIGHT
THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING IN LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* IMPACTS...THE GENERAL SNOWFALL WILL RESULT IN SNOW COVERED AND
SLIPPERY ROADS. THE MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE WILL BE VERY SLIPPERY
AND SLOW. INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW LATER MONDAY
NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT WILL RESULT IN VERY DIFFICULT TRAVEL
AT TIMES. SOME ROADS MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPASSABLE.

From Mr. Tom Niziol from TWC:

OK Geeks, here is an update with today's 12z GFS.

This is the 12z GFS BUFKIT data. BUFKIT was orginally developed to allow operational forecasters to evaluate the atmosphere at point locations on an hourly basis. It is an excellent tool for convection as well as lake-effect snow. It was also developed before high resolution numerical modelling was available in the mainstream. So we developed a number of tools to help us evaluate the instability over the lakes (lake-induced CAPE and EL) and wind direction. Below you will see the GFS 12z run for Buffalo, NY. The top image shows the lake-induced CAPE (white and left y-axis) and EL (yellow and right y-axis). The bottom image shows the average wind direction from about 950mb through 700mb. The blue horizontal bar denotes a range of wind directions (~245-255 degrees) that line a band up over parts of metro Buffalo.

The first image helps us to evaluate instability, the second shows where snow bands could set up. Buffalo looks like it will get its fair share of lake effect. Most will likely fall just south of the city as usual. Off Lake Ontario a similar scenario will play out. Of course, the Upper Great lakes will also get their fair share. I would watch SW Lower Michigan, I think they will get hammered !!

1780966_663256043787756_9079311849255599

10714327_663256110454416_157840565970945

Man, it's looking really good for you Buffaloweather. I'd say at this point, anywhere from Seneca to Hamburg to Orchard Park down to Eden could see 2-4 feet of snow in the best banding. The instability right now on Bufkit from the latest runs of the models is staggering for that locale. Whenever you see Lake induced CAPE peaking at 1500 J/kg and heights to 21k feet, you got yourself the makings of something special. If this event was for next week, I'd probably wouldn't mind coming up to see this one, but sadly stuck for one more week of classes down in here in wet SE PA haha. Enjoy and I'll be sure to check back tomorrow night into Wednesday to see how everything is unfolding.

Man, it's looking really good for you Buffaloweather. I'd say at this point, anywhere from Seneca to Hamburg to Orchard Park down to Eden could see 2-4 feet of snow in the best banding. The instability right now on Bufkit from the latest runs of the models is staggering for that locale. Whenever you see Lake induced CAPE peaking at 1500 J/kg and heights to 21k feet, you got yourself the makings of something special. If this event was for next week, I'd probably wouldn't mind coming up to see this one, but sadly stuck for one more week of classes down in here in wet SE PA haha. Enjoy and I'll be sure to check back tomorrow night into Wednesday to see how everything is unfolding.

Yeah, I am definitely excited for this one. I am going to be really busy this week so won't be able to document as well as I would like to. Hopefully others take videos/pictures and post on here. My wife works from home so I'm giving her that duty all week. ^_^

12Z NAM model snow total forecast from today through Thursday evening.  Also, just noticed that the higher resolution (4km) NAM forecasts a 250 wind fetch starting around 3 am tomorrow, then remaining at 250 all day tomorrow before switching to a more 255-260 degree direction after 8 pm tomorrow night.  

post-219-0-63709500-1416240954_thumb.gif

Very impressive snowfall forecast gradients between south and north of downtown Buffalo.  I had to save myself a copy your area forecast discussion with all the neat technicalities included. http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BUF&issuedby=BUF&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on 

I have relatives to the north of Buffalo throughout Niagara county that think this will be a low impact event and I'm curious about all your thoughts for that area?  Good luck to all of you while I go back to lurking! :santa:

Very impressive snowfall forecast gradients between south and north of downtown Buffalo.  I had to save myself a copy your area forecast discussion with all the neat technicalities included. http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BUF&issuedby=BUF&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on 

I have relatives to the north of Buffalo throughout Niagara county that think this will be a low impact event and I'm curious about all your thoughts for that area?  Good luck to all of you while I go back to lurking! :santa:

Yes, this probably keeps forecasters up at night.  A shift of the band by just a few miles north can make the difference in 130K + people getting 2 feet or 2 inches.  

As far as Niagara County goes, BUF only has that area getting 2-4 inches and probably all of that is from the synoptic storm today. The views from the Niagara Escarpment looking south at the lake effect band off the lake should be pretty wild. 

I just drew up a total snow forecast map by the time the Lake Effect is over at the end of the week.  I think that the most persistent bands will set up from south Buffalo and points south.  I do think that the bands should be persistent enough for a time on Tuesday and then again for several hours during the day Wednesday after shifting to south of downtown Buffalo during Wednesday night to produce a foot of snow even for downtown Buffalo.  

post-219-0-97701600-1416245162_thumb.gif

Nice map crown and Devin I will keep you updated with pics n videos. I wish you could drive up and chase this one with me. Should be an epic event.

Thanks BuffaloWeather, if I could get off from work believe me I would be there in a heartbeat. I'll be there next week though so hopefully there's still some big piles around and maybe some mood flakes or better in the air. Enjoy this one brother!!!

Nice map crown and Devin I will keep you updated with pics n videos. I wish you could drive up and chase this one with me. Should be an epic event.

Agreed!!  Wish I could come out too.  Next winter for sure when I'm living out there.  Do you mind if I tweet any of the pictures you may post?  My twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/crownweather

Archived