• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ongoing Banter Thread

Carvers Gap

Getting a would stove insert this Christmas. So, would really like some cold WX to test it out. May not happen, but hoping for the best.

Congrats! I'm sitting with my feet up by mine watching football right now. Nothing better. Just remember, for best results with these new stoves the wood needs to be well seasoned. By well seasoned I mean split and stacked for at least a year, and with oak, locust, and hickory two or three years is better. Get three years ahead on your firewood and you will have it made. As long as my health holds up I'll have a woodstove til I die. Bring on the cold, snow, and power outages. I'm ready!

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats! I'm sitting with my feet up by mine watching football right now. Nothing better. Just remember, for best results with these new stoves the wood needs to be well seasoned. By well seasoned I mean split and stacked for at least a year, and with oak, locust, and hickory two or three years is better. Get three years ahead on your firewood and you will have it made. As long as my health holds up I'll have a woodstove til I die. Bring on the cold, snow, and power outages. I'm ready!

Watching TCU vs Ole Miss at the moment. I am getting an Energy Pacific woodstove insert installed in one of our fireplaces Saturday. Will post some pics if possible. Thanks for the info about aging the firewood. I think I will work that three year system. What is the best way to find wood? Thought about talking to some tree guys. TCU looking tough early in the first.

Nrgjeff and mathmet...hope to see those folks posting soon. Like Mr. Bob, it is nice to have mets familiar with the area posting. Know we appreciate it.

Absolutely, I can agree with this.  It's nice to have a professional point of view, especially when there is a storm to track within 5 days. (something that seems to be avoiding us this year, lol)

Cohen cracks me up. It's always another 2-3 weeks. Come March he will be right

The way it was framed in November it would have seemed to have been wall to wall cold over the winter although now that it has been slow to occur the revisionism is coming in. I recall  just before Dec 1, a major private service doubling down on the back half of December and raising their HDD forecast for the month...I chatted with our gas folks just scratching my head in total wonder...I do hope it works out later in the winter not just for the sake of board sanity but that it would be nice to have something to hang our hat on each fall....(as well as something to watch in October...kinda like the NFL draft bridges the offseason!) 

The way it was framed in November it would have seemed to have been wall to wall cold over the winter although now that it has been slow to occur the revisionism is coming in. I recall  just before Dec 1, a major private service doubling down on the back half of December and raising their HDD forecast for the month...I chatted with our gas folks just scratching my head in total wonder...I do hope it works out later in the winter not just for the sake of board sanity but that it would be nice to have something to hang our hat on each fall....(as well as something to watch in October...kinda like the NFL draft bridges the offseason!) 

I liked when the draft was in March,switching to late April into May prolongs the agony we have to listen to the draft prognosticators like you just mentioned

Got my Davis Vantage Pro 2 cleaned, new batteries in it, and cleared all the data getting ready for 2015.  Don't know if I will hook it to the computer, but I am ready for whatever the new year brings us.

It was kind of nice to access my weather station from my iPhone.  If I remember right, I have to hook it to the computer to be able to do that.............  Decisions, decisions.  lol

I am getting an Energy Pacific woodstove insert installed in one of our fireplaces Saturday. Will post some pics if possible. Thanks for the info about aging the firewood. I think I will work that three year system. What is the best way to find wood? Thought about talking to some tree guys.

Tree guys are great if you can work it out. They can be a bit hit and miss. You can get a bunch dumped at once then nothing for awhile. I live in the woods so the vast majority of mine has been processed right here on the farm. However, the last couple of years I've lucked out with a couple of loggers and tree guys. Just pulled up with the truck and trailer and they've loaded me up with logs. Once you get a couple years ahead you can be more selective. I've burned wood for years in old smoke dragons but learned a ton about new stoves, wood processing, and equipment from the forums on Hearth.com

Tree guys are great if you can work it out. They can be a bit hit and miss. You can get a bunch dumped at once then nothing for awhile. I live in the woods so the vast majority of mine has been processed right here on the farm. However, the last couple of years I've lucked out with a couple of loggers and tree guys. Just pulled up with the truck and trailer and they've loaded me up with logs. Once you get a couple years ahead you can be more selective. I've burned wood for years in old smoke dragons but learned a ton about new stoves, wood processing, and equipment from the forums on Hearth.com

Thanks for the expertise. This is the link to the stove we are getting from Pacific Energy(think I got that backwards earlier). I will definitely check out that website. Might also message you if I need advice. Looking forward to the process of learning how to do something new and useful.

http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/inserts/super-insert/

Would have liked a bigger door. Will go with the silver door I think. We had our chimney guy give us his recommendation. He has been around a while, and I liked his no-nonsense candor. Said the Pacific Energy model is easier to clean and maintain than others we had suggested. We are going to get a steel liner put in the chimney. Price is a little stiff, but hopefully over time it pays for itself in enjoyment and heat.

Got my Davis Vantage Pro 2 cleaned, new batteries in it, and cleared all the data getting ready for 2015.  Don't know if I will hook it to the computer, but I am ready for whatever the new year brings us.

It was kind of nice to access my weather station from my iPhone.  If I remember right, I have to hook it to the computer to be able to do that.............  Decisions, decisions.  lol

Are you going to make it public? Would be cool...

I am hearing from pretty good sources that the flu is raging in NE TN right now. As many of you know, the flu mutated just enough so that the shot is not a complete match...helps though. Check out this USA today article. TRI is #1 unfortunately.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/12/31/top-10-sickest-cities-and-metro-areas-in-the-country/21098771/

It was public last year with a link at the bottom of each post I made. I thought that was kind of neat.

Ha! Shows you how observant I was. Call it a post 40 moment.

Lol I didn't notice it either. But signatures don't show up on Tapatalk so that is why.

I am hearing from pretty good sources that the flu is raging in NE TN right now. As many of you know, the flu mutated just enough so that the shot is not a complete match...helps though. Check out this USA today article. TRI is #1 unfortunately.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/12/31/top-10-sickest-cities-and-metro-areas-in-the-country/21098771/

I saw on Scannerfood a few days ago that most hospitals are turning away people because of the flu. I watched someone at Lowes today not wash their hands after using the bathroom. No wonder it is spreading so fast.

Anyways the SEC got drilled today by the Big 12 and ACC. Interesting day of football tomorrow. My predictions are Alabama and Florida State. FSU has found a way to win all season long. TCU had a huge statement game today.

Lol I didn't notice it either. But signatures don't show up on Tapatalk so that is why.

I saw on Scannerfood a few days ago that most hospitals are turning away people because of the flu. I watched someone at Lowes today not wash their hands after using the bathroom. No wonder it is spreading so fast.

Anyways the SEC got drilled today by the Big 12 and ACC. Interesting day of football tomorrow. My predictions are Alabama and Florida State. FSU has found a way to win all season long. TCU had a huge statement game today.

Strike through SEC and place the state of Mississippi. Egg bowl beat down.

Strike through SEC and place the state of Mississippi. Egg bowl beat down.

LSU got beat last night too. The SEC west is having a tough go of it. But yeah the Mississippi teams are not nearly as good as they have been ranked most of the year. It does look Ole Miss and Miss State are slowly turning it around for the next few years. They should both be better then they have been in a very long time. Alabama and Auburn are still superior.

I friend just sent me this article stating that our area (KTRI) is ranked 3rd on the unhealthiest cities in America list. So we are sick and unhealthy. Lol

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/04/13/least-healthy-cities/7586917/

The income stats and college/school stats are way off for Kingsport. They have to be pulling metro(?) and not city stats. This is a hard working city. Employment levels are strong. Eastman is building a massive international headquarters building. The school system here just won the SCORE award as being the top school system in the state. Kingsport students consistently score in the top five in Math and Science in TN often besting wealthier suburban systems in other regions. Dobyns-Bennett consistently scores as one of the top high schools in the US. The higher education center downtown was started with a grant from Harvard. Kingsport's median income(city only) is relatively high due to big industries. To me, seems like some long held biases towards Appalachia are coming into play by USA Today. They have skewed that data to some extent, leaving out some data and incorrectly weighting others. One area of need, asthma is a big problem in the valley due to pollen. An interesting fact, Tennessee is the fastest improving state in NAEP test scores which are high level test questions normed at the national level. No disrespect at all to you, 1234...just putting that article in perspective. We live in a great area of a great region.

Now, the flu is bad here...that I think is accurate. Combine a mutated strain of the flu with folks not getting outside due to rain, and it spreads like wildfire.

This has been your Chamber of Commerce moment...

The income stats and college/school stats are way off for Kingsport. They have to be pulling metro(?) and not city stats. This is a hard working city. Employment levels are strong. Eastman is building a massive international headquarters building. The school system here just won the SCORE award as being the top school system in the state. Kingsport students consistently score in the top five in Math and Science in TN often besting wealthier suburban systems in other regions. Dobyns-Bennett consistently scores as one of the top high schools in the US. The higher education center downtown was started with a grant from Harvard. Kingsport's median income(city only) is relatively high due to big industries. To me, seems like some long held biases towards Appalachia are coming into play by USA Today. They have skewed that data to some extent, leaving out some data and incorrectly weighting others. One area of need, asthma is a big problem in the valley due to pollen. An interesting fact, Tennessee is the fastest improving state in NAEP test scores which are high level test questions normed at the national level. No disrespect at all to you, 1234...just putting that article in perspective. We live in a great area of a great region.

Now, the flu is bad here...that I think is accurate. Combine a mutated strain of the flu with folks not getting outside due to rain, and it spreads like wildfire.

This has been your Chamber of Commerce moment...

Yes, the flu outbreak has been bad this year, but the data used to determine we were number one in that regard was pulled from WebMD searches online.  I choose to think we just have a bunch of hypochondriacs in the area.  lol

Yes, the flu outbreak has been bad this year, but the data used to determine we were number one in that regard was pulled from WebMD searches online. I choose to think we just have a bunch of hypochondriacs in the area. lol

Two different articles...the one I posted is WebMD data. That I have no problem with... The other article is from April and has been long debunked.

Vol fans out in force in Jacksonville from what I hear. Wx should be nice tomorrow with highs in the upper 60s. On a side note, one of our offensive tackles has a torn ACL(has all year) and just broke his wrist. But....He will start and play meaningful minutes Friday. Like a true SE ridge, one tough young man to discourage. One arm and one leg, yet he is ready to go.

I don't know if anyone else is................but I am really close to doing away with Tapatalk app.  The last upgrade has made the app almost impossible to navigate.  It's almost useless.  I hear they paid someone 5 million to develop the upgrade.  If that's the case, they struck out and threw a LOT of money down the drain.  Anyone else use it?

Archived