• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Are you looking forward to winter 2014-15?

Hoosier

Are you looking forward to winter 2014-15?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to winter 2014-15?

• Yes, I wish winter was here now
    • Yes, but it can wait
    • No, winter sucks unless there's huge storms
    • No, everything about winter sucks

Who has a better shot at a 14" or more storm? Cyclone, Stebo, or Hoosier in 2014 - 2015 .... not saying statisticly or deeply scientificly.....just hunchy

I will go...

Stebo

Cyclone

Hoosier

I will add....i think the first 2 both get a 14 incher....and Hoosier will be close...

Just for fun :)

Cyclone.

I am more than a bit worried after recent developments that this winter will be as cold as last, but drier. That would be a nightmare, more than even the dreaded warm and dry winter.

If there is a way for Wisconsin to have a desert dry winter while everyone cashes in that would be the optimal outcome for everyone.

Recent being the persistency of the troughy pattern, projections for more deep troughs in the near future, and some long range guidance showing the mean trough being further east than last year which would lend itself to pretty similar cold but drier conditions all other things being equal.

Some long range guidance at this time last year, also had the mean trough setting up east of where it actually verified. It's a true story.

Alas, 2002-03 might be probably walking through the door. :yikes: for MKE

;)

Some long range guidance at this time last year, also had the mean trough setting up east of where it actually verified. It's a true story.

Alas, 2002-03 might be probably walking through the door. :yikes: for MKE

;)

Wasn't a great winter, but on the positive side, it wasn't bitterly cold and dry, it was near average and dry (plus the arctic front in mid February was probably quite fun, though I don't specifically remember it).

Wasn't a great winter, but on the positive side, it wasn't bitterly cold and dry, it was near average and dry (plus the arctic front in mid February was probably quite fun, though I don't specifically remember it).

2002-03 was a great winter here. 66.9" imby. It was Detroits first 60"+ winter since 1981-82 (and there have now been 7 winters of 60"+ since 2002!). It also had below normal temps. Though it was my favorite winter at the time (has been replaced many times since lol), even I wouldnt want a repeat, because the huge difference between Detroit (60.9") and Chicago (28.6") or Milwaukee (34.2") tells me its way too close for comfort.

The warm pacific is probably the best indicator we have.. As long as it stays above normal, we should be alright. 

And also the Siberian snow cover. Thats a key component to predicting how the AO/NAO will be like in the winter months. We don't want another 09-10 in this sub forum, haha. I'll be looking more in-depth for what this winter may hold in the coming weeks for sure.

The Sea ice improvement this year and how the Sea ice behaves around the Beaufort Gyre is also an important element IMO. 

2002-03 was a great winter here. 66.9" imby. It was Detroits first 60"+ winter since 1981-82 (and there have now been 7 winters of 60"+ since 2002!). It also had below normal temps. Though it was my favorite winter at the time (has been replaced many times since lol), even I wouldnt want a repeat, because the huge difference between Detroit (60.9") and Chicago (28.6") or Milwaukee (34.2") tells me its way too close for comfort.

02-03 was average here in terms of snowfall. Besides the Christmas eve/day snowstorm there wasn't much else that was as decent. Thankfully i was in Ohio where it was the winter for the ages at the time.

And also the Siberian snow cover. Thats a key component to predicting how the AO/NAO will be like in the winter months. We don't want another 09-10 in this sub forum, haha. I'll be looking more in-depth for what this winter may hold in the coming weeks for sure.

The Sea ice improvement this year and how the Sea ice behaves around the Beaufort Gyre is also an important element IMO. 

09-10 was better then 10-11 here but i admit i would not wanna take my chances again with that. Thankfully we are not looking at a mod or strong nino. Granted i still totally wouldn't rule out a mod nino but the chances of that are very slim.

ALL about the EPO which i'll be closely following via the N.PAC SST's, tropical forcing etc. In the end the AO ending up near neutral ( for the winter as a whole ) seems to best serve this area.

• 3 months later...

Who has a better shot at a 14" or more storm? Cyclone, Stebo, or Hoosier in 2014 - 2015 .... not saying statisticly or deeply scientificly.....just hunchy

I will go...

Stebo

Cyclone

Hoosier

I will add....i think the first 2 both get a 14 incher....and Hoosier will be close...

Just for fun :)

Not looking likely through the end of the month....but at least there is a remote chance on the docket

Archived