joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 winter outlook

FLO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got around to looking at the EPS Weekly Control Run.  It's too far off to really believe much.. but the first week of December has the entire Southeast going off the charts with cold 850 anomalies.  Hopefully Larry can get a look at it soon.

Again, it's so far away, it's worthless.  But not a bad sign.

Shawn,

I don't have access to the EPS Weekly control run. I have access only to twice a week released Euro weeklies out four weeks (through end of Nov). Fwiw, they show the coldest to be in the first half of Nov. with what looks like a relaxation back to near normal for the last week fwiw. The most important thing on the run IMO in addition to suggesting that Nov. has a really good shot to turn out to be at least slightly below normal for much of the SE (good for cold winter prospects per ENSO analogs as per recent posts) is that it has a -AO taking over for weeks 2-4.

Matt East put out a winter forecast yet?

Pack, let's start turning that 10 year around this year, huh?

HAH, not feeling it for us this year, I am thinking another climo to just below for us…5-7" type season.  I do like like the triad and points west into TN.  I think that will be the sweet spot this season.  Brad P's storm tracks make a lot of sense, although I think his primary track is a little west but he is obviously smarter than me.

According to the EPS Weeklies (Control), we start getting colder on Thursday and that last through Monday the 10th. We have a slight warm up followed by another shot of cold beginning next Thursday (13th) through Sunday again.

It gets cold again for Tuesday the 18th and stays cold all the way through the week of Thanksgiving... real cold. There is a day or so warm up and then another blast of cold air for the 4th and 5th of December.

The Ensemble Mean is basically the same and keeps below normal heights over the southeast pretty much the entire time.

According to the EPS Weeklies (Control), we start getting colder on Thursday and that last through Monday the 10th. We have a slight warm up followed by another shot of cold beginning next Thursday (13th) through Sunday again.

It gets cold again for Tuesday the 18th and stays cold all the way through the week of Thanksgiving... real cold. There is a day or so warm up and then another blast of cold air for the 4th and 5th of December.

The Ensemble Mean is basically the same and keeps below normal heights over the southeast pretty much the entire time.

Yeah, also according to those weeklies, there's a huge CAD event in 2 weeks. We'll see. 

If I'm not mistaken I think other mets are going more all in on a southern storm track, a more active STJ.  Brad P is betting on more cutters which IMO would suck.  I'm hoping he's wrong and there's a large amount of STJ storms.  I think the other thing to look for is the NAO that keeps the track south along the coast.  -AO is good for cold availability, but I think there needs to be blocking/ridging in the classic NAO regions to keep southern tracks along the south. 

I'm hoping Nino and +PDO keep a nice STJ throughout the winter....mix in a -NAO and we're in business.  Hopefully.

HIs primary track doesn't look too good for snow down here, imo.

Let's say there end up being 10 in his primary path and five in his secondary path, the one that often gives the best snows. In this case, I doubt anyone would be upset. ;)

I'm saying I just don't think it is a bad thing for Miller A to be predicted to be secondary since it isn't easy for that to be the primary path. At least they're being noted.

Let's say there end up being 10 in his primary path and five in his secondary path, the one that often gives the best snows. In this case, I doubt anyone would be upset. ;)

I'm saying I just don't think it is a bad thing for Miller A to be predicted to be secondary since it isn't easy for that to be the primary path. At least they're being noted.

Yeah I guess we can't expect a parade of Miller A's all winter.  I just remember seeing a lot more of them in years past.  It's been said before, but prior to the "internets" I used to predict snow chances by always watching the Weather Channel's 7 day forecast and watch the white, pink, and green colors move from Arizona, Texas, Alabama, to the Carolinas.  Whenever I saw it show up out west, I knew there was a good chance that precip and snow/white could hit the carolinas.  Just doesn't seem to work that way anymore.  Would just like to see, like you said, a significant increase in number, doesn't have to be a primary track I guess. 

Pointless arguing on this primary and secondary track stuff.  It's a good outlook.  Hope we get a couple of good gulf lows out of it.  +ENSO and -AO/NAO outlooks favor it.

All we really need are two or three of the secondary track with below normal cold and it could be a blockbuster winter. People need to get a grip on this stuff. Give me below normal cold and above normal precip...what more could you ask for? 

All we really need are two or three of the secondary track with below normal cold and it could be a blockbuster winter. People need to get a grip on this stuff. Give me below normal cold and above normal precip...what more could you ask for? 

Your logic is not welcome here!

Seriously, that's what everyone should be looking at.  Like what was posted above, even a few of the Miller A storms coming through with cold air in place would make this a great winter for the southeast.  Weather is a game of odds, and the odds are better with this pattern than they generally are for any given year.  We should have several shots at winter weather this season and it's going to be a ton of fun to track and discuss what's coming down the pipeline.  Take that as a win.

Your logic is not welcome here!

Seriously, that's what everyone should be looking at.  Like what was posted above, even a few of the Miller A storms coming through with cold air in place would make this a great winter for the southeast.  Weather is a game of odds, and the odds are better with this pattern than they generally are for any given year.  We should have several shots at winter weather this season and it's going to be a ton of fun to track and discuss what's coming down the pipeline.  Take that as a win.

I don't get why anyone would be negative about this winter. All the signs are positive. Maybe it won't work out. But that would be a huge upset and go against all the indicators we are seeing now. The only reason anyone would be negative at this stage of the game is because they are just a pessimistic person. 

I don't get why anyone would be negative about this winter. All the signs are positive. Maybe it won't work out. But that would be a huge upset and go against all the indicators we are seeing now. The only reason anyone would be negative at this stage of the game is because they are just a pessimistic person.

I have to agree with Brick here. Spot on IMO. This is no ordinary winter coming up at least in terms of intense cold potential IMO based on hard stats.

I'm taking a screen grab of this to use later on this winter when you start complaining. 

You're going to have those down here no matter the year

You guys are right. I keep forgetting how much further South i live now. Everyone seems really positive, so thats what im goin with! :sled:  :snowing:  :lmao:  

Archived