joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday low topped convective threat

weatherwiz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they are going to miss CT unfortunately.Unless we get some sw line extension

I doubt it...all the "best" instability is off to our NW and these things are really low topped and very short lived...and have like very little updrafts time.  Plus with sun setting any instability in place will quickly vanish.  Maybe we can get some storms on Sunday

I doubt it...all the "best" instability is off to our NW and these things are really low topped and very short lived...and have like very little updrafts time.  Plus with sun setting any instability in place will quickly vanish.  Maybe we can get some storms on Sunday

Yeah Sunday seems like a "many trees down" type of setup

Yeah Sunday seems like a "many trees down" type of setup

I think small hail/grauple will be more of a potential than wind...not that there won't be gusty winds with any convection.  

Just wondering how widespread activity is or becomes...obviously moisture is definitely lacking but this s/w has some intense lift associated with it.  Also, we're looking at VERY intense MLJ with the nose of the MLJ, which may exceed 100 knots punches right into MA/CT during peak heating times.  

Lack of moisture and resultant instability will hurt with updrafts not being long lived which also throws a wrench into things.  

I think small hail/grauple will be more of a potential than wind...not that there won't be gusty winds with any convection.

Just wondering how widespread activity is or becomes...obviously moisture is definitely lacking but this s/w has some intense lift associated with it. Also, we're looking at VERY intense MLJ with the nose of the MLJ, which may exceed 100 knots punches right into MA/CT during peak heating times.

Lack of moisture and resultant instability will hurt with updrafts not being long lived which also throws a wrench into things.

I dunno. I like the inverted v profile on the soundings

I dunno. I like the inverted v profile on the soundings

yeah that certainly is a def wind indicator...OTOH it can also be an enhancer for hail generation as well.  Hail/wind may be of equal threat really but the issue is there isn't much moisture to work with.  Hell, even if dewpoints were like 10F higher (into the mid 50's) we'd be seeing a bit more instability and I would think that would be enough for the possibility of severe hail...500mb temps of near -30C in a convective threat doesn't happen too much around here...hell 700mb temps approach -15C.  

NICE!!!!!!!

any hail? wondering if there might be some very small hail or something...looked like briefly some 60+ dbz got up to around 15k which may have been just high enough for some very small hail

Not here, huge drops and a lot of lightning.  Sneaky elevated instability I guess

An "instability max" right over you...100 J/KG of SBcape and MLcape and 250 J/KG of MUcape with LI values of -1.  

You can see a little couplet in SRV, I wonder if that might have been a better updraft just to my south that possibly could've produced some hail.

At what tilt?  Just looked back and using BOX at 3.4 you can see something but pretty high up...didn't notice anything lower.  

MAstormsMay1st2014_zps4f16d13d.jpg

BOX_20140502_0040_N0S.gif

Sorry for the crappy graphics, not on my good machine... but you can see the little embedded couplet in the line which equates just to my south... have no idea if any hail occurred but if it did I'd guess it'd be near that area.

BOX_20140502_0040_N0S.gif

Sorry for the crappy graphics, not on my good machine... but you can see the little embedded couplet in the line which equates just to my south... have no idea if any hail occurred but if it did I'd guess it'd be near that area.

Can definitely see it...and it's right in the general area where the hail marker was flagged...may have happened as the core collapsed...you said you were seeing big raindrops too so it could be possible some small hail was being dropped

Looks like your countdown to 5/1 worked wiz.

:thumbsup:

Gotta love it...just so many ways we can generate convection and that's the beauty of it...we don't have to have a severe weather outbreak to enjoy it or a threat for severe wx...it's just convection in general...just like in winter even 1-2'' events are fun and enjoyable...you don't need a 6-12'' snowstorm or a blizzard to enjoy it.  

Archived