• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 23rd Severe Weather Thread

Quincy

Although the threat today may not be a particularly impressive one, it still looks like there is a narrow corridor from the Texas panhandle into western OK/KS that could light up this afternoon/evening.

2014042312.72451.skewt.parc.gif
The 12z sounding from Dodge City shows some decent veering and a low-level jet up to just about 60 knots (59kt at 850mb). The obs around southwestern Oklahoma showed 10m winds backed to SE/110°. While the tornado threat is low, the focus appears to be localized in this area, near the eastern TX panhandle and adjacent OK.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0386

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0237 PM CDT WED APR 23 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...WESTERN KS AND OK/TX PANHANDLES TO WESTERN OK

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 231937Z - 232130Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0385

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0234 PM CDT WED APR 23 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF NEBRASKA AND KANSAS

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH LIKELY

VALID 231934Z - 232200Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

Finally the storm near Wellington TX, is taking on a supercell type shape with several knots of rotation seen (as noted by Stebo). Previously it looked like a big, tall hulking mess with 3.75" hail detected, the hail reported was 1.50" in diameter (about a half hour ago.)

and award for best supercell today so far goes to... northern Mexico, outside of Del Rio TX

attachicon.gif2014_04_23_2158z_DFX_storm_in_mexico1.jpg

I've always noticed that area almost always gets a few nice supercells every year. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't say that I know it offhand. Might be a cool thing to look into one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always noticed that area almost always gets a few nice supercells every year. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't say that I know it offhand. Might be a cool thing to look into one day.

Sent from my iPhone

Not to derail, but Roger Edwards has a relevant paper. The Serranias del Burro region is certainly no stranger to intense supercells and occasional strong/violent tornadoes.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/edwards/delburro.pdf

Sent from my iPhone

Convergence on 2500ft mountains?

Sluggerwx-- I also noticed that the cell that moved into OK had 73.5 dBz on AMA radar a few mintues ago. That has to be about the most you can see on the Level3 nexrad data.

Not to derail, but Roger Edwards has a relevant paper. The Serranias del Burro region is certainly no stranger to intense supercells and occasional strong/violent tornadoes.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/edwards/delburro.pdf

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

I bet the cells up in southern Kansas are really picturesque. Those ones are a little more isolated than the Texas/Oklahoma storms. It's a shame the radar is down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...

First time I've seen folks using MPing south of the boarder. 

attachicon.gifgr2analyst 2014-04-23 18-43-49-31.png

i'm sure as long as it goes by the specific GPS coordinates instead of direct international boundaries, i'm not surprised. and it actually is good to know such a database can be started outside the US. I hope Canadians near the US border will also use it, especially in southern Ontario, southern Quebec, NB, and western NS where it's decently covered by the Buffalo, Detroit, Burlington, Caribou, and other radars.

Convergence on 2500ft mountains?

Sluggerwx-- I also noticed that the cell that moved into OK had 73.5 dBz on AMA radar a few mintues ago. That has to be about the most you can see on the Level3 nexrad data.

Are you getting a few claps of thunder up in Ft. Collins? We've had about 5/10 in the last 10 minutes here in Stapleton.

Are you getting a few claps of thunder up in Ft. Collins? We've had about 5/10 in the last 10 minutes here in Stapleton.

I am not. It is mostly dark, with some light in the west.  Barely a raindrop.  I guess that's what you get with a dew point of 30 or whatever.

Cool (and confusing) shape of heavy reflectivity in this supercell in central texas (Haskell, TX)

post-1182-0-44193400-1398300280_thumb.pn

Texas and Kansas got hit the hardest yesterday, but the Wellington, TX cell that crossed over into OK did look pretty impressive at first. There were plenty of chasers on that one:
post-533-0-27795800-1398365381_thumb.jpg
I encountered varying sizes of hail up to about dime/nickel (estimated because there was torrential rain at the same time.) Winds were varying, but were not particularly strong until one point in Sentinel, OK. Here the wind was strong enough to fling a trampoline across the road:

Not sure if we want to extend this thread to cover 4/24 (today as well), but NWS just issued a TOR warning on the border of LA/MS

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS
658 PM CDT THU APR 24 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTHERN HUMPHREYS COUNTY IN CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI...
  SOUTHERN SUNFLOWER COUNTY IN NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI...
  EAST CENTRAL WASHINGTON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI...

* UNTIL 800 PM CDT

* AT 658 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
  TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR DARLOVE...AND MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

Archived