THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN FLORIDA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF MONTICELLO...

EAST CENTRAL LEON COUNTY IN FLORIDA...

* UNTIL 600 PM EDT

* AT 523 PM EDT...A DEVELOPING TORNADO HAS BEEN DETECTED BY THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 19 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MONTICELLO...OR 9

MILES EAST OF TALLAHASSEE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

CHAIRES CROSSROADS...CHAIRES...CODY...CAPITOLA...BAUM...LLOYD...

WAUKEENAH...CAPPS...NASH...LAKE MICCOSUKEE...LOIS...FESTUS...

DRIFTON...CASA BLANCO...MONTIVILLA...JARROTT AND ALMA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES FOR SAFER STRUCTURES.

GET TO THE LOWEST FLOOR AND PUT AS MANY WALLS BETWEEN YOU AND THE

TORNADO AS POSSIBLE.

Wow that's pretty extensive damage.  I will be interested to see the rating the NWS gives it today.

Won't surprise me if this end up breaking the EF3+ drought, but EF2 is more realistic from what I've seen. We'll see what NWS got...

This is just an amazing tweet to describe how quiet 2014 had been so far (although it's not so quiet when your town get hit).

@UAHSWIRLL There has not been an EF3+ tornado in the U.S. this year! That's a record-breaker by 1 week & counting!

Won't surprise me if this end up breaking the EF3+ drought, but EF2 is more realistic from what I've seen. We'll see what NWS got...

This is just an amazing tweet to describe how quiet 2014 had been so far (although it's not so quiet when your town get hit).

@UAHSWIRLL There has not been an EF3+ tornado in the U.S. this year! That's a record-breaker by 1 week & counting!

Yeah I put the information for that tweet together yesterday, and a colleague of mine and I put it on our FB and Twitter feeds.  I also put together a more detailed post on U.S. Tornadoes.

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2014/04/08/2014s-ef3-tornado-drought-the-latest-in-the-year-on-record-without-one/#more-4346

Yeah I put the information for that tweet together yesterday, and a colleague of mine and I put it on our FB and Twitter feeds.  I also put together a more detailed post on U.S. Tornadoes.

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2014/04/08/2014s-ef3-tornado-drought-the-latest-in-the-year-on-record-without-one/#more-4346

Wow, thanks for this sum of information! I still remember that midnight outbreak in the Deep South to start off the horrible year of 2011 and it's very fitting the first EF3 of 2011 came a hour into the new year. Another thing is that I was really surprised to see 2003/2004 that late, but it also very telling that this season is far from over.

Some decent motion in that video, here is another pretty good shot of it from much closer than the others its copyrighted on WITN so here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152396777099742&set=a.94646469741.82555.45809529741&type=1&relevant_count=1

Also this gallery the first 4-5 pics are of the site my friends families home was on showing the damage, it was a newer modular home on a brick foundation so that is one reason maybe why the rating wasn't as high but the homes down there are in hurricane country and are built to a pretty high code for wind. He actually saw it coming and knew the house wouldn't make it so they left the bathtub in the home and he and his pregnant wife and 6 kids ( yeah wow right ) and got in a nearby ditch right as it hit, in hindsight it was a good call...

http://www.wnct.com/story/25187163/closer-look-at-beaufort-county-tornado-damage

Some decent motion in that video, here is another pretty good shot of it from much closer than the others its copyrighted on WITN so here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152396777099742&set=a.94646469741.82555.45809529741&type=1&relevant_count=1

Also this gallery the first 4-5 pics are of the site my friends families home was on showing the damage, it was a newer modular home on a brick foundation so that is one reason maybe why the rating wasn't as high but the homes down there are in hurricane country and are built to a pretty high code for wind. He actually saw it coming and knew the house wouldn't make it so they left the bathtub in the home and he and his pregnant wife and 6 kids ( yeah wow right ) and got in a nearby ditch right as it hit, in hindsight it was a good call...

http://www.wnct.com/story/25187163/closer-look-at-beaufort-county-tornado-damage

Note the lack of nails or bolts sticking out of the foundation perimeter. That probably accounts for the low rating, as this would indicate that the walls likely weren't connected to the foundation. Then again, I have seen un-anchored homes swept away and rated EF3 numerous times. Hard to say what led to the EF2 rating without being there.

Mystery solved. Sounds like we are looking at a double-wide mobile home that was built on a brick perimeter foundation as an attempt to make it look like a permanent frame home.

"...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC HAS CONFIRMED
A TORNADO NEAR BELHAVEN IN BEAUFORT COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA ON APRIL
7 2014.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN JUST WEST OF PANTEGO CREEK AND HIGHWAY
264 NORTH OF BELHAVEN. IT BEGAN AS A MODERATE EF1 TORNADO FROM THERE TO
NEAR BEECH RIDGE ROAD. ALONG HIGHWAY 264 THERE WAS DAMAGE TO A FEW
STRUCTURES AND A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF LARGE OAKS AND PINE TREES
DOWNED...TWISTED...AND SNAPPED. ONE HOME WAS SHIFTED OFF ITS
FOUNDATION WITH PARTIAL ROOF DESTRUCTION...A PARTIAL LOSS OF WALLS
AND WINDOWS BLOWN OUT. A CAR IN THAT LOCATION WAS TOSSED 50 YARDS
FROM THE ROAD WITH TWO INJURIES.

THE TORNADO STRENGTHENED TO A HIGH END EF2 AS IT MOVED THROUGH
THE BEECH RIDGE ROAD AREA NEAR PANTEGO. SEVERAL HOMES...OUT
BUILDINGS...AND SHEDS WERE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. LARGE NUMBERS OF
TREES WERE SNAPPED...MANY NEAR THEIR BASE. A DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE
HOME WAS WIPED OFF ITS FOUNDATION AND DESTROYED DESPITE BEING
STRAPPED DOWN.
UTILITY LINE TOWERS WERE SIGNIFICANTLY DAMAGED HERE
AS WELL.

THE TORNADO THEN CONTINUED TO PRODUCE MODERATE EF2 DAMAGE ON
ROSS FARM. A ROOF WAS ENTIRELY TORN OFF A HOUSE...AN OUT BUILDING
DESTROYED...HUGE FARM EQUIPMENT MOVED...AND MANY TREES SNAPPED
THERE. THE TORNADO THEN DISSIPATED IN A FIELD."

Mystery solved. Sounds like we are looking at a double-wide mobile home that was built on a brick perimeter foundation as an attempt to make it look like a permanent frame home.

"...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC HAS CONFIRMED

A TORNADO NEAR BELHAVEN IN BEAUFORT COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA ON APRIL

7 2014.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN JUST WEST OF PANTEGO CREEK AND HIGHWAY

264 NORTH OF BELHAVEN. IT BEGAN AS A MODERATE EF1 TORNADO FROM THERE TO

NEAR BEECH RIDGE ROAD. ALONG HIGHWAY 264 THERE WAS DAMAGE TO A FEW

STRUCTURES AND A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF LARGE OAKS AND PINE TREES

DOWNED...TWISTED...AND SNAPPED. ONE HOME WAS SHIFTED OFF ITS

FOUNDATION WITH PARTIAL ROOF DESTRUCTION...A PARTIAL LOSS OF WALLS

AND WINDOWS BLOWN OUT. A CAR IN THAT LOCATION WAS TOSSED 50 YARDS

FROM THE ROAD WITH TWO INJURIES.

THE TORNADO STRENGTHENED TO A HIGH END EF2 AS IT MOVED THROUGH

THE BEECH RIDGE ROAD AREA NEAR PANTEGO. SEVERAL HOMES...OUT

BUILDINGS...AND SHEDS WERE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. LARGE NUMBERS OF

TREES WERE SNAPPED...MANY NEAR THEIR BASE. A DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE

HOME WAS WIPED OFF ITS FOUNDATION AND DESTROYED DESPITE BEING

STRAPPED DOWN. UTILITY LINE TOWERS WERE SIGNIFICANTLY DAMAGED HERE

AS WELL.

THE TORNADO THEN CONTINUED TO PRODUCE MODERATE EF2 DAMAGE ON

ROSS FARM. A ROOF WAS ENTIRELY TORN OFF A HOUSE...AN OUT BUILDING

DESTROYED...HUGE FARM EQUIPMENT MOVED...AND MANY TREES SNAPPED

THERE. THE TORNADO THEN DISSIPATED IN A FIELD."

Not trying to be really nitpicking but if this double wide mobile home was tied down wouldn't that mean it was anchored better than usual. The upper bound on a double wide mobile home is a DOD 12 with a wind speed around 154mph. I know very little about construction but was just reading the DOD on a double wide mobile home and the statement by the NWS stating despite being strapped down. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/4.html. Maybe somebody can inform me on the construction of this mobile home. I can't tell really well from the home. Another thing is also as to why it was rated only high-end EF2 was maybe the surrounding areas didn't warrant anything higher than that.

Here is another interesting survey from an EF4 tornado that occurred during the Superoutbreak on April 27, 2011. It sounds like mobile homes can be rated higher than EF2 as long as their strapped down. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/?n=2011_04_25_27_svr_smith_jasper_clarke. Of course this recent small outbreak was nothing in comparison to the April 27, 2011 outbreak. I was just wondering when NWS offices decide on when a mobile home deserves a higher rating than EF2.

Not trying to be really nitpicking but if this double wide mobile home was tied down wouldn't that mean it was anchored better than usual. The upper bound on a double wide mobile home is a DOD 12 with a wind speed around 154mph. I know very little about construction but was just reading the DOD on a double wide mobile home and the statement by the NWS stating despite being strapped down. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/4.html. Maybe somebody can inform me on the construction of this mobile home. I can't tell really well from the home. Another thing is also as to why it was rated only high-end EF2 was maybe the surrounding areas didn't warrant anything higher than that.

Ratings are nice but no one can predict what will happen in a tornado.  For instance, the double wide may well have withstood this tornado if it acted like the test chamber.  What often happens is that as the tornado approaches a large piece of debri(tree trunk, roof section, etc) slams into the double wide and pierces its outer shell.  At that point the rating is meaningless as the wind enters the home and tears it apart from the inside often leaving the tie downs sitting right where they were.

Here is another interesting survey from an EF4 tornado that occurred during the Superoutbreak on April 27, 2011. It sounds like mobile homes can be rated higher than EF2 as long as their strapped down. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/?n=2011_04_25_27_svr_smith_jasper_clarke. Of course this recent small outbreak was nothing in comparison to the April 27, 2011 outbreak. I was just wondering when NWS offices decide on when a mobile home deserves a higher rating than EF2.

Total destruction of a tied-down mobile is almost always rated EF2. I have never heard of a mobile home being rated higher than EF2 just because it was tied down. Complete destruction of a mobile home with anchoring problems is usually rated EF1. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that a few particularly extreme incidences of mobile home damage have been rated EF3 in the past. The 2010 Scooba/Gieger tornado dissintigrated a mobile home near Dekalb, MS and warped the steel frame around a tree. There were numerous huge trees snapped off and denuded on the property, and I'm 95% sure that damage was rated EF3 at that location (on my phone can't check right now).

Archived