12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we might get a quick burst of snow as the front moves through this afternoon. That line looks pretty stout across central NY. I'm sure the Catskills will break it apart a bit, but something to track at least.

Yeah, I've been watching that this morning too.  Maybe I'll get another 20 second burst of flurries like I did with the front last week.  Every now and then those lines do hold together though, so its always fun to track it.  

I had about a 20 minute snow shower a little less than an hour ago.

Had about a 5 minute flurry here with some gusty winds. Sun is back out again.

Was looking at the Euro and, while I wouldn't expect anything, I wonder if we can sneak a little snow on the tail end of the Sunday system. The cold air looks to get in a little faster on this run. Surface is warm, but it looks like 850's top out at zero. GFS looked like it was close too.

Had about a 5 minute flurry here with some gusty winds. Sun is back out again.

Was looking at the Euro and, while I wouldn't expect anything, I wonder if we can sneak a little snow on the tail end of the Sunday system. The cold air looks to get in a little faster on this run. Surface is warm, but it looks like 850's top out at zero. GFS looked like it was close too.

I haven't been following closely at all but you are not expecting snow from the Euro I'm guessing, right?  Looks like a soaking rain though right and not a complete miss? 

I haven't been following closely at all but you are not expecting snow from the Euro I'm guessing, right?  Looks like a soaking rain though right and not a complete miss? 

It backed off on amounts and slid a bit further east vs 0z. KPOU had 0.9" at 12z vs 1.4" at 0z. I don't expect anything more than a few mangled flakes at the end, but the cold air seemingly almost caught up with the precipitation on this run, so I think maybe it bears watching over the next couple runs. That was my main point. The GFS, btw, went from dry at 0z to 1.2" at 12z. 

It backed off on amounts and slid a bit further east vs 0z. KPOU had 0.9" at 12z vs 1.4" at 0z. I don't expect anything more than a few mangled flakes at the end, but the cold air seemingly almost caught up with the precipitation on this run, so I think maybe it bears watching over the next couple runs. That was my main point. The GFS, btw, went from dry at 0z to 1.2" at 12z. 

Great news for the new GFS... :axe:

Good day weather fans,

Low this morning was 4F.

Current temp is 16.

Did a quick look at the 12 Z GFS and it still indicates that the interior should flip to snow late tomorrow.

Not an expert, but if cold air wraps in early, a few inches may be possible.

Wet run on the 12 z gfs for the storm.

hr 39 is the second image

post-326-0-25707900-1421510145_thumb.gif

post-326-0-58843200-1421510254_thumb.gif

It won't matter with tomorrows event.. Most of the precip that falls will be in the warm sector with little if any falling as snow. 

True. So close, yet so far away. A couple of degrees cooler aloft and we'd have a nice snowstorm on our hands.

Just saw the 12z GFS. It actually spikes my temp up from 33 to 48 degrees briefly tomorrow afternoon. Looks like the Euro gets to low 40's. Didn't realize the surface was so warm on previous runs. That being said, I would watch for some freezing rain/drizzle at the onset.

True. So close, yet so far away. A couple of degrees cooler aloft and we'd have a nice snowstorm on our hands.

Just saw the 12z GFS. It actually spikes my temp up from 33 to 48 degrees briefly tomorrow afternoon. Looks like the Euro gets to low 40's. Didn't realize the surface was so warm on previous runs. That being said, I would watch for some freezing rain/drizzle at the onset.

The frozen at the onset was modeled, at least up here. I don't know that models are busting as bad as some are claiming in the metro forum. And when I went to bed last night, I believe there were freezing rain advisories for a large area of Upton's CWA, no?

Currently sitting at 28 with freezing drizzle. Heavier stuff just about to move in.

Midweek clipper looks pretty weak sauce on models with the exception of the Euro, which nails DC area. Hopefully it comes back to life as we get closer. 

Stay safe this morning!

The frozen at the onset was modeled, at least up here. I don't know that models are busting as bad as some are claiming in the metro forum. And when I went to bed last night, I believe there were freezing rain advisories for a large area of Upton's CWA, no?

Currently sitting at 28 with freezing drizzle. Heavier stuff just about to move in.

Midweek clipper looks pretty weak sauce on models with the exception of the Euro, which nails DC area. Hopefully it comes back to life as we get closer.

Stay safe this morning!

My temp started to climb when the steadier rain moved in, up to 29 now, what a mess out there at the moment.

Stay safe this morning!

They cancelled the advisory for the city, overnight, it probably should have stayed up.

12z nam still inducates NW zones flip to snow tonight

Upto 41 f

I think the NAM was/is mistaking the freezing rain as snow. It consistently was showing accumulating snow at the onset (on the snow maps) for NE PA, NJ, and the Hudson Valley. If you look at the snow maps for the 12z NAM, it shows 1-3" of snow for the same area by 21z today. We all knew it wasn't going to snow, if at all, until the very end, which isn't until later tonight.

Archived