Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm more interested in this than this weekend. Watch today's 12z come in a little better again for this weekend and everyone go crazy again.

I agree, I think we stand to gain more from Monday's system than Saturday's.

The Euro ensembles for Saturday look fairly unchanged, track wise. They show 3-6" region wide for Saturday and 6-9" region wide after the system passes by on Monday. That second amount is for both systems combined.

I agree, I think we stand to gain more from Monday's system than Saturday's.

The Euro ensembles for Saturday look fairly unchanged, track wise. They show 3-6" region wide for Saturday and 6-9" region wide after the system passes by on Monday. That second amount is for both systems combined.

.2 this morning.

It could be that we get more from Saturday, it was just I wasn't sure why so many were pulling triggers so quick.  That said, I'd love to shovel a foot on Saturday but...we shall see.

.2 this morning.

It could be that we get more from Saturday, it was just I wasn't sure why so many were pulling triggers so quick. That said, I'd love to shovel a foot on Saturday but...we shall see.

Although out of range Nam looks to line up with globals, coastal scrapper, with backend CCB, what troubles me is a sub 980 low has such a lack of precip with a wide open Gulf Stream

Although out of range Nam looks to line up with globals, coastal scrapper, with backend CCB, what troubles me is a sub 980 low has such a lack of precip with a wide open Gulf Stream

Albany's AFD:

THIS STORM BEARS WATCHING BUT THE SYNOPTIC SETUP IS NOT CONDUCIVE

FOR IT TO TUCK IN THE COAST AND BRING A MAJOR SNOWSTORM. THE STORM

IS ANCHORED THE SOUTHERN JETSTREAM. MOST GUIDANCE KEEP IT SEPARATED

FROM THE NORTHERN BRANCH AS THE OVERALL PATTERN REMAINS PROGRESSIVE

SO THE STORM IS EJECTED OUT TO SEA. THAT SAID...THE LATEST EUROPEAN

HINTED OF SOME PHASING WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM...TUCKING THE STORM

CLOSER TO THE COAST...BRING SNOWFALL TO THE CAPITAL REGION. MOST

OTHER MODEL GUIDANCE IS A BETTER FURTHER SOUTH AND EAST...KEEPING

THE SNOW SHIELD TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF ALBANY. THERE WERE A FEW

MEMBERS THAT TRACKED THE STORM CLOSER TO THE "BENCHMARK" OFF THE

CAPE COD CANAL BUT MOST WELL SOUTH AND EAST OF THAT .

I mentioned yesterday how this is one case where I can actually buy into the malnourished precip on the poleward side. There looks to be plenty of moisture (and probably convection) on the warm side of the storm, which is consistent with a bomb over relatively warm waters. I do, however, get the feeling that the clipper system to the north of the GL is screwing us over to some extent. That system is progged to draw north drier, more uniformly modified air, which might serve to 1) limit the spatial extent of frontogenetical forcing, and 2) create a "buffer" between the two synoptic systems.

06z GFS 700 mb RH:

gfsNE_700_rhum_066.gif

And an accompanying sounding:

xhEh9U1.gif

Of course, if the whole thing continues trending eastward, it won't matter much anyway. I do believe we have less room than normal to work with, though.

Guest Patrick

hey bud... it's not really odd (and I'm not Julian haha).  Actually it makes sense if you believe the model as depicted.  500mb is not perfect for us up this way.

I'm not saying that's what will happen, just trying to answer your question.  Happy snow hunting, neighbors!

Look at the odd cutoff of the modeled precipitation field here on the GEM, it's like it just disappears over NE PA and SE NY. Julian, what are your thoughts? We know there's going to be a sharp cutoff, but this just looks bizarre.

Heh, definitely an underwhelming look there. Take a gander at 500mb, and then back at yesterday's 12z CMC, which attempted to deliver the goods locally...

vXFznkj.png

saL3Y7v.png

Today's depiction is of a much less mature system from the surface all the way to the upper atmosphere. It still deepens nicely due to the colocation of divergent jet streaks at 300 mb, but we don't get a mature commahead until several frames after it gets booted eastward.

I think the QPF field looks weird because we're used to seeing WAA precip well before the conveyor belt structure takes hold, but since we have a clipper where our arctic high should be, that's very limited here.

Archived