• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

Only once is surprising....I've already used my blower 3x here in the NW philly burbs.....no fear I think you may see some snow blower action after the brief warm up.....enjoy!

Paul

actually used in twice when thinking about it.

got a 4 inch dump in mid november, point is the dragon is eager for snow.

Notes from my file. 23.8 inches ytd

Date Total Notes   4 elevation storm. 1/2 inch in vernon valley 26-Nov 11.5 Miller A, snow started at 6 AM, temps around 29-30F. Was 36 F when snow started. Heavy wet snow paste job 27-Nov 0.7 left over snow from the storm. Light snow all morning with an inpulse 2-Dec 0.3 snow/sleet with a SWF event. Very minor, went over to some light rain. 9-Dec 2 Upper level low snows after a n'easter. Heavy ice Tuesday morning. Still icy last night. High 35 yesterday 10-Dec 1.3 1.3 inches of snow over night in a few bands. Was snowing hard at 1 am 22-Dec 0.2 light snow flurries overnight. 3-Jan 1.7 cutter storm. 1st batch snow. Changed to sleet at 3 PM. WWA until 10 PM, temp 28 f 6-Jan 0.9 clipper storm with cold front.  7-Jan 0.2 snow squall. Temp +1 at 715 PM. Low of 7 F this morning. 9-Jan 1 clipper . Snow started at 510 AM.  Low 3 below zero on the 8th.      

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah same here.. After the T-day storm we've only had 1-3 " events which is def not snowblower worthy.

I would only use the blower if got 3-4 inches most likely. Figure my driveway 250-350 feet maybe.

not sure how long my drive way is exactly, will measure tomorrow but takes be 20 minutes(at me age) to shovel with minimum snow.

Nice crisp winter day. Got a good amount of skating and sledding in with the kids. We got these Zipfy sleds, they are awesome! 

Down to 15 now, should get down to about 5 tonight. Anyone check the models today? What a depressing set of runs! Very little snow this week upcoming, then we thaw (or even torch) heading into MLK day. Hopefully it's not prolonged.

Nice crisp winter day. Got a good amount of skating and sledding in with the kids. We got these Zipfy sleds, they are awesome!

Down to 15 now, should get down to about 5 tonight. Anyone check the models today? What a depressing set of runs! Very little snow this week upcoming, then we thaw (or even torch) heading into MLK day. Hopefully it's not prolonged.

So the wife and daughter like the propane heater?

Got them both out last night for at least an hour! It was a warmish night though, we'll see what happens tonight! It throws off a lot of heat, I think it's 40,000 BTU. I wish I had invested in one sooner.

Nice! We're all get used to the cold now too, I'm back to wearing just a hoodie when I head out.

Yeah the same thing happened here for Minisink Valley. Initially they had a 2 hr delay but cancelled school soon after. Having 2 boys 8 & 3 in the house at the same time is rough man lol. I almost went to work begging for OT

Lol...Those days are behind me. I have a daughter in 9th grade and a daughter and son in college. Enjoy them while you can....time goes by fast.

Currently 15/-3 here. Still looking like a snow day for the kids Monday. More worried about ice than anything else.

They finally got backyard ice hockey in the far philly burbs of PA, figured I woud post only becuse of the home ice rink discussion ealrier.

My brother's son is on the hershey's bear ice team this year for the young man to man tourney and future prospects.

http://www.hersheyquebec.com/quebectournament.asp

Best.

post-326-0-44923100-1420937700_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-43927100-1420937714_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-52989800-1420937723_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-65899300-1420937744_thumb.jpg

I just looked at my snowfall totals for this season which stands at 13.0". January snowfall total is currently 4.7" which is spot on average, right to the tenth, for me for this point in January. That said, after a big November I was well below average for December so for the season I'm currently 1.9" below average for this point in the season.

There are some interesting people/personalities in this (NYC Metro) subforum. Anyone who needs to take (or, for that matter, give) life lessons from a weather forum might want to seek professional help. 

Back to the weather, ended up with a low of 9 last night, a little warmer than expected. Just enough cloud cover and a bit of a breeze to keep me from dropping lower. Looks like tomorrow is turning more into slop than anything. Then a boring stretch for a bit. The warm-up is looking like it could be rather muted, at least based on last nights model runs (though the Euro ensembles still look like more of a torch vs the OP run). We'll see if it holds today.

Great pictures, btw, Matt, thanks for sharing them. Looks like a nice rink!

Guest Patrick

Very cool.

Interesting Monday shaping up so far - haven't checked latest guidance, but think we're good for a sleetfest this way...one can only hope.  Beats the heck of of ZR

They finally got backyard ice hockey in the far philly burbs of PA, figured I woud post only becuse of the home ice rink discussion ealrier.

My brother's son is on the hershey's bear ice team this year for the young man to man tourney and future prospects.

There are some interesting people/personalities in this (NYC Metro) subforum. Anyone who needs to take (or, for that matter, give) life lessons from a weather forum might want to seek professional help.

There's more than one candidate in there that could use help. My low was 5 this morning. I don't know what to expect tomorrow but it will be what it shall be.

Back to the weather, ended up with a low of 9 last night, a little warmer than expected. Just enough cloud cover and a bit of a breeze to keep me from dropping lower. Looks like tomorrow is turning more into slop than anything. Then a boring stretch for a bit. The warm-up is looking like it could be rather muted, at least based on last nights model runs (though the Euro ensembles still look like more of a torch vs the OP run). We'll see if it holds today.

Great pictures, btw, Matt, thanks for sharing them. Looks like a nice rink!

One individual is in some real need of help.  

Another day of school delays or closings. Really messes up my work schedule and I lose money!

It will be really interesting to see what happens in the morning. I'm sure we changeover to rain at some point, but the question is how much snow/ice do we get before that? It will probably be a nowcast type of thing. Not sure what the schools will do. My kids have already had 2 snow days, one was for freezing rain and rain in early December, and the other was Friday when they converted a 2 hour delay into a closing.

It will be really interesting to see what happens in the morning. I'm sure we changeover to rain at some point, but the question is how much snow/ice do we get before that? It will probably be a nowcast type of thing. Not sure what the schools will do. My kids have already had 2 snow days, one was for freezing rain and rain in early December, and the other was Friday when they converted a 2 hour delay into a closing.

Yup, Arlington schools are closed and I am stuck at home. :(. Looks like an in ch of snow that has already changed over to ZR.

Archived