• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 12 -14 Potential Storm

NEG NAO

Anyone expecting a "flash freeze" will likely be disappointed.  We'll very likely have moderate rain, at most, and winds of 10-20 mph for at least 4-6 hours before temps reach below 32F, so that I'd expect convective drying (even with relatively moist air at 80-90% RH) to evaporate all of the water, except, perhaps for some larger puddles.  Storm largely looks like a non-event for the I-95 corridor, at least, unless we can squeeze out some snow on the back end, which is iffy, at best...

Right-the flash freeze will likely be well north and west of the city, north of the low track where cold air will come in faster.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone expecting a "flash freeze" will likely be disappointed.  We'll very likely have moderate rain, at most, and winds of 10-20 mph for at least 4-6 hours before temps reach below 32F, so that I'd expect convective drying (even with relatively moist air at 80-90% RH) to evaporate all of the water, except, perhaps for some larger puddles.  Storm largely looks like a non-event for the I-95 corridor, at least, unless we can squeeze out some snow on the back end, which is iffy, at best...

however a lot of water will settle into potholes and make them worse

SPC puts much of NJ in a 5% risk. 15% near Philly:

day2probotlk_1730_any.gif

...THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC...   THE AIR MASS IN ADVANCE OF THE STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BECOME   MARGINALLY UNSTABLE -- E.G. MLCAPE AROUND 300-600 J/KG -- DURING THE   AFTERNOON. THIS WILL BE IN RESPONSE TO THE COMBINATION OF /1/ AT   LEAST PARTIAL INSOLATION IN SOME AREAS IN THE WAKE OF   EARLY-DAY...WARM-ADVECTION-ENCOURAGED CLOUDS/SHOWERS ASSOCIATED WITH   THE STRENGTHENING LLJ...AND /2/ STRONG NWD FLUXES OF RELATIVELY   HIGHER THETA-E AIR IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER WITH SFC DEWPOINTS IN THE   MIDDLE 50S. THE NRN EXTENT OF THE WARM/BUOYANT SECTOR WILL BE   MODULATED TO SOME EXTENT BY DOWNWARD-DIRECTED SENSIBLE HEAT FLUXES   WITHIN THE SFC LAYER ATOP THE ONGOING SNOW PACK IN NRN PA AND NRN   NJ. REGARDLESS...DIURNALLY ENHANCED BUOYANCY SHOULD ALLOW   THUNDERSTORMS TO INCREASE IN NUMBER AND INTENSITY ALONG THE COLD   FRONT AS IT ADVANCES FROM SERN OHIO/ERN KY INTO WRN WV AND WRN PA BY   MID-DAY...WITH THIS ACTIVITY QUICKLY SPREADING EWD/NEWD THROUGH THE   AFTERNOON.   WITH THE EXIT REGION OF A 70-90-KT H5 JET CORE OVERSPREADING THE   WARM SECTOR BUOYANCY ABOVE A SWLY LLJ INCREASING TO 50-60 KT...WIND   PROFILES WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR LOW-TOPPED...ORGANIZED CONVECTION.   THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME ORGANIZED INTO FAST MOVING   QUASI-LINEAR SEGMENTS WITH EMBEDDED LEWP STRUCTURES INVOF THE COLD   FRONT. STRONG CONVECTIVE MOMENTUM TRANSPORT WILL SUPPORT THE   POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...WITH THIS POTENTIAL BOLSTERED BY   THE STRONG CROSS-FRONTAL...SYNOPTIC PRESSURE RISE-FALL COUPLET.   STRONG LOW-LEVEL SHEAR -- E.G. AROUND 30-40 KT OF 0-1-KM BULK    SHEAR -- WILL SUPPORT SOME POTENTIAL FOR LINE-EMBEDDED MESOVORTICES   TO PRODUCE TORNADOES.   THE GREATEST SVR POTENTIAL WILL EXTEND ACROSS THE ERN PANHANDLE OF   WV INTO NRN VA...CNTRL/WRN MD...THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...AND   S-CNTRL PA...WHICH MAY HAVE THE GREATEST OPPORTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE   PRE-FRONTAL INSOLATION. THERE WILL BE SOME POTENTIAL FOR A MORE   WIDESPREAD SVR-WIND EVENT TO TAKE PLACE IN THESE AREAS...POTENTIALLY   WARRANTING HIGHER SVR PROBABILITIES IN SUBSEQUENT OUTLOOKS.   HOWEVER...SUCH POTENTIAL WILL BE PREDICATED ON THE DEGREE OF   INSOLATION-ENHANCED STEEPENING OF LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES...FOR WHICH   SOME UNCERTAINTY EXISTS. STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE OFF THE COAST   AS THE FRONT MOVES OFFSHORE.   ..COHEN.. 03/11/2014

I'm surprised we aren't going to see stronger winds on the backside of this beast. I get it that winds will be light while we are near the center but as its pulling away it should rip.

ne board is getting excited for next week. I hope we don't get burned again!

The Euro has been giving them insane amounts of fictitious snows the past few days. The entire attitude of this forum would be different if it was a low 980's today over the mid-atlantic rather than right on top of us.

Sweet.

The models have been pushing the warm front further and further NW over time. This has really caused precip type problems for areas to our north that were expecting mostly snow.

For us it allows us to become truly warm sectored and we might be able to get enough clearing to get some good SBCAPE.

The models have been pushing the warm front further and further NW over time. This has really caused precip type problems for areas to our north that were expecting mostly snow.

For us it allows us to become truly warm sectored and we might be able to get enough clearing to get some good SBCAPE.

yea 18z is about 5 degrees warmer area wide than 12z and is probably too low. High for me today was only supposed to be 55 on 06z and I hit 66 lol

... The we go from 52 to 38 in an hour

post-4195-0-24670300-1394571778_thumb.gi

yea 18z is about 5 degrees warmer area wide than 12z and is probably too low. High for me today was only supposed to be 55 on 06z and I hit 66 lol

... The we go from 52 to 38 in an hour

It's not often you see Bradford, PA at 18 and Indiana, PA at 61. The two cities are maybe 120 miles apart.

Essentially the GFS stalls out the warm front over our area. We never get warm sectored. Instead we get periods of heavy rain, borderline excessive given ongoing snow melt for those of us that live north of 80.

If the NAM had this type of setup, it would probably be spitting out over 2" of rain for us given its tendency to overdo things.

Lol this was being compared to 93 lol

I doubt we get any severe weather, we don't do that well in June let alone March

We seem to do better with covection in winter than summer of late lol....i saw more lighting in the snow storm last month than i did all summer

Apparently some people were... otherwise this post wouldn't exist.

http://www.theweatherspace.com/2014/03/06/is-another-march-1993-superstorm-coming-next-week/

"For a pattern like March 1993 to happen you need a rare circumstance where a surface low develops around the TN/AL border and moves northeast from there up through the Mid-Atlantic."

wat?

"For a pattern like March 1993 to happen you need a rare circumstance where a surface low develops around the TN/AL border and moves northeast from there up through the Mid-Atlantic."

wat?

Hmm, yeah apparently he's not familiar with the synoptic history of the superstorm.

Archived