Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Much Colder Than Normal March Pattern Continues

bluewave

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't he talking about the Wednesday storm?

Think we all are on board for Wednesday .

I was speaking about the weekend threat from all the other posts. Wasn't directing at him. But saying looking at OPruns will never give you a full picture.

I think folks may be doing themselves a disservice by incessantly reassuring themselves that "anything could happen", etc., and big storms are possible. Right now no guidance shows anything in the way of a big storm in the near future; indeed, with a rapid zonal flow and a monster lobe of the PV almost overhead, the default is probably for no significant storms to occur. I don't advise throwing in the towel, but in that same vein, excitement should probably be at average levels.

Gfs gets precip up to south jersey and the del mar va on saturday. Its coming....plenty of waa and mjo looks great. Need the pv to pull out or continue to trend towards a split ala bds. I'm confident this will continue to trend favorable and affect the entire EC in some fashion.

GFS isn't out yet

18z GFS has 2 lows for next weekend.

yea its what you call out to lunch. to GFS is notoriously poor in mid-long range with southern stream driven systems. The fact that is still showing something and the EURO attempted to split the PV looked good for me today. still a ways out but there were "slight" improvements

Yea? That's it? Phases 8/1 =MECS/HECS 100%? This board is unreal lately lol.

Yep that's it, if people are going to be negative about next week then why not be the opposite. By seriously there are continued signs at a major storm, the combination of an excellent PNA ridge coupled with the very favorable MJO progression strongly hints at this. We're also seeing signs of some high latitude blocking and we're in a time frame where the wave lengths are very different than January (suppression would be more likely). 

If you can give me a couple of well supported reasons as to why a major storm can't happen then I'd be willing to concede. 

The MJO is going to be very favorable. Nothing is 100% but it will increase our chances of snow (We already know the cold is coming)

RGEM @ 48 hours would argue a nice hit down the road for the midweek storm....FWIW

https://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/18_054_R1_north@america_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_048.jpg

Tough to tell, but the euro has shown a hit for 3 straight runs. I will be surprised to see it cave to the other models

Yep that's it, if people are going to be negative about next week then why not be the opposite. By seriously there are continued signs at a major storm, the combination of an excellent PNA ridge coupled with the very favorable MJO progression strongly hints at this. We're also seeing signs of some high latitude blocking and we're in a time frame where the wave lengths are very different than January (suppression would be more likely). 

If you can give me a couple of well supported reasons as to why a major storm can't happen then I'd be willing to concede. 

as I stated earlier you can have downright amazing teleconnectors but that only gets you so far. the downstream/upstream effects of S/W's in the flow play just as much an important part. next weekend's system whether we all like to admit or not CAN produce those extreme solutions the EURO was showing. To attain that solution we saw what had to go right to get there, new nuances are popping up that are keeping this threat currently just S&E but the 12z did show some PV splitting and that is the right direction.

lets come back to this Monday and see what is there and start seriously looking at this come Tuesday/Wednesday. I will start a thread for the weekend storm Monday to get the ball rolling whether it happens or not to keep the discussion in there

Archived