Newest Member
    joxey
February 20 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting comment from IWX

NAM12 SHOWING MUCAPES OF 400 TO 600 J/KG WITH IMPRESSIVE SHEAR   VALUES. AFTERNOON TEMPS EXPECTED TO CLIMB INTO 40S WITH 50S OVER   SOUTHERN CWA. LATEST HIGH RES GUIDANCE SUGGEST DEEPEST LIFT AND   INSTABILITY WILL REMAIN JUST SOUTH OF OUR AREA. HOWEVER...ISOLATED   WIND GUSTS TO SEVERE LIMITS REMAIN POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IN OUR   SOUTHERN THIRD OF CWA AS A TYPICAL COLD SEASON FINE LINE EXPECTED   ALONG COLD FRONT. LOCAL RESEARCH HAS NOT YIELDED ANY CASES OF SEVERE   WEATHER EPISODES WITH SNOW DEPTHS EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT WE HAVE SO THIS   IS A BIT OF UNCHARTED TERRITORY AT LEAST CLIMATOLOGICALLY SPEAKING.   BOTTOM LINE IS THIS REMAINS A VERY IMPRESSIVE AND RAPIDLY DEEPENING   STORM SYSTEM SO COMBINATION OF GRADIENT WINDS AND THIN LINE COULD   PRODUCE ISOLATED  SEVERE WIND GUSTS. 

18z NAM has 700-500 mb lapse rates of 8 C/km in part of the warm sector tomorrow.

4km NAM is coming in huge with instability in the warm sector not too far from you guys in LAF

RBOBEPu.png

t0JhcKd.png

XPz1ICN.png

6eUbZ5O.png

Also I would be very concerned about the area from Paducah to Memphis of lighting up with semi discrete stuff especially with these SBCAPE values. Honestly if this continues to be modeled as such, I could see that area getting a MDT risk tomorrow.

4km NAM is coming in huge with instability in the warm sector not too far from you guys in LAF

Also I would be very concerned about the area from Paducah to Memphis of lighting up with semi discrete stuff especially with these SBCAPE values. Honestly if this continues to be modeled as such, I could see that area getting a MDT risk tomorrow.

Looks like those maps are based on temps in the low 50s here.  If we end up closer to 60 then we will get into some of that instability that's shown farther south. 

Challenging to try to figure out the northward extent of surface based instability given the snowpack and likely widespread clouds but this system has a lot going for it with strong wind fields/forcing/rapid deepening and if anything could buck climo in terms of getting damaging wind reports in snow covered areas, it's this one. 

Looks like those maps are based on temps in the low 50s here.  If we end up closer to 60 then we will get into some of that instability that's shown farther south. 

Challenging to try to figure out the northward extent of surface based instability given the snowpack and likely widespread clouds but this system has a lot going for it with strong wind fields/forcing/rapid deepening and if anything could buck climo in terms of getting damaging wind reports in snow covered areas, it's this one. 

Yeah I agree, especially when you have 50 to 60kts at 925mb, the winds are going to be screaming just above the surface.

Forecast soundings look pretty impressive in the Ohio Valley.  Anything discrete/semi-discrete would certainly be capable of producing strong tornadoes.

0z models run are going to go a long way in determining what the SPC does with their upcoming outlook. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't go with a MOD for wind. Not too confident they will go with anything more than a 5% for tornadoes but you never know.

ILN mentions the possible storms ahead of the squall line.

SHOWERS AND SCATTERED STORMS WILL INCREASE WEST OF THE REGION AHEAD
OF A COLD FRONT LATER IN THE DAY. LOOKS LIKE PRE FRONTAL ACTIVITY
MAY START TO MOVE INTO WESTERN COUNTIES EARLY IN THE EVENING AND
THEN QUICKLY PUSH ACROSS THE REGION. A LINE OF CONVECTION WILL
FOLLOW ALONG THE COLD FRONT WHICH SHOULD MOVE EAST OF THE FORECAST
AREA BY 06Z-08Z. THIS IS A HIGH SHEAR/LOW INSTABILITY ENVIRONMENT
THAT IS FAVORABLE FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND ISOLATED SPIN UP
TORNADOES. QUESTION IS HOW STRONG THE INVERSION AT THE SURFACE
WILL BE ESPECIALLY IF SOME NORTHERN LOCATIONS STILL HAVE SNOW
COVER AND WHETHER STRONGER WINDS WILL BE ABLE TO PUNCH THROUGH
THAT.

0z models run are going to go a long way in determining what the SPC does with their upcoming outlook. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't go with a MOD for wind. Not too confident they will go with anything more than a 5% for tornadoes but you never know.

Personally I'd go 10% for tornadoes... with such high helicities in place it's not going to take much for spin-up tornadoes along the QLCS.

Based on 0Z NAM...

500 flow and shear vectors aren't bad for discrete formation when using 'rule of thumb' comparisons to boundary orientation. In addition 4KM hi-res model shows discrete convection in KY. 70+ temps as well.

LL CAPE isn't the best based on the sounding I pulled SW of SDF but still a bit of an ominous looking scenario as progged by this particular model anyway.

It's far out, but the 18 hr 00z RAP indicates that most model guidance is substantially underestimating the degree of low level shear/helicity present across essentially the entire warm sector tomorrow. Of course, it has been noted numerous times that the NAM/etc. tends to low-ball this until right before an event.

Today's runs however, especially the 0z runs have definitely got me a bit more concerned about a window for semi-discrete activity from North Mississippi up into Western Kentucky.

With the shear profiles (especially in the Tennessee Valley), I'd be concerned about embedded supercells even within a QLCS.

A wonder if we could see storms fire ahead of the main line in places like IN,OH,PA  i saw some of the simulated radars show signs of rotating cells from the warm front and to the west.

I say the warm front will be placed over PA/N OH/S MI, could see some spinners, by looking at the models

This is probably one of the more frustrating setups for me in recent memory as far as trying to ascertain the level of threat locally.  There's still several inches of snow on the ground all the way down to IND.  How quickly will the snow field melt/recede and will the sheer strength of advective processes win out?  Obviously the greater threat looks to be south of I-70 but concerned about a bit of a sneak attack here if temps/dews respond better than models suggest.  My key values to watch for are temps near 60 and dews in the mid-upper 50s...if we get that then the damaging wind threat would go up big time and the tor threat could start to increase as well.  

Archived