joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models not really handling the temps/gradient around here and southward very well.  Even short term RAP/HRRR runs are off with initialization.  Given this and current temps down south, the more aggressive side may be the way to go here, which could impact severe prospects later.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0122   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1134 AM CST THU FEB 20 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL MO...W-CNTRL IL   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE    VALID 201734Z - 201930Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT   SUMMARY...MONITORING FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF ISOLATED DISCRETE TSTMS   FORMING NEAR THE TRACK OF THE SYNOPTIC CYCLONE. UNCERTAINTIES DO   EXIST WITH REGARD TO THE SUSTAINABILITY/INTENSITY OF UPDRAFTS.   DISCUSSION...17Z SURFACE ANALYSIS PLACED A 991 MB CYCLONE OVER NWRN   MO AROUND 35 S CDJ WITH A WARM FRONT EXTENDING EWD ACROSS CNTRL IL.   A DRYLINE EXTENDED SWD ACROSS WRN MO WITH A SHARP COLD FRONT   TRAILING THE DRYLINE BY ABOUT 2 TIERS OF COUNTIES. VISIBLE SATELLITE   AND RADAR IMAGERY CONFIRM INCREASINGLY AGITATED CU/SMALL CBS FORMING   ALONG THE DRYLINE/WARM FRONT INTERSECTION. WITH AN INTENSE MID-LEVEL   JET AOA 100 KT OVERSPREADING THE LOWER MO TO MID-MS VALLEY THIS   AFTERNOON...DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WILL BECOME EXTREME WITHIN THIS PORTION   OF THE WARM SECTOR. THE DEGREE OF BUOYANCY SHOULD HOWEVER REMAIN   WEAK GIVEN VEERING OF SURFACE WINDS NOTED ACROSS THE OZARK PLATEAU   RESULTING IN LOWERING OF DEW POINTS AND RELATIVELY ABUNDANT STRATOCU   NEAR THE FRONT IN MO. ALTHOUGH MOST CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODEL   GUIDANCE SUGGEST CONVECTION WILL BE PREVALENT THROUGHOUT THE   AFTERNOON...THEY LARGELY FAIL TO GREATLY INTENSIFY UPDRAFTS LIKELY   OWING TO THE DEGREE OF EXTREME SHEAR RELATIVE TO WEAK BUOYANCY.   STILL...IF AN ISOLATED STORM OR TWO WERE TO BECOME SUSTAINED...ALL   SEVERE HAZARDS APPEAR POSSIBLE.   ..GRAMS/THOMPSON.. 02/20/2014

mcd0122.gif

I am starting to think that the Slight Risk might be pushed North and East to cover IN,OH,W PA. Looks like a very good chance of damaging winds later on in the evening and night. I think in OH there could be a few low topped supercells along the Ohio River in SE OH into SW PA. I have seen some models trying to fire storms in the evening ahead of the line

I am starting to think that the Slight Risk might be pushed North and East to cover IN,OH,W PA. Looks like a very good chance of damaging winds later on in the evening and night. I think in OH there could be a few low topped supercells along the Ohio River in SE OH into SW PA. I have seen some models trying to fire storms in the evening ahead of the line

lol

IN and OH maybe, PA naso much.

SirSonic, on 20 Feb 2014 - 2:01 PM, said:SirSonic, on 20 Feb 2014 - 2:01 PM, said:

I don't think PA is going to see much. The current SPC outlook looks spot-on to me.

If you are going to wishcast, try to make it a little more subtle...

Watch coming out for MO/IL

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 10

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

140 PM CST THU FEB 20 2014

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 10 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM CST

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

IL

. ILLINOIS COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS BOND BROWN

CALHOUN CHRISTIAN CLINTON

FAYETTE GREENE JERSEY

MACOUPIN MADISON MARION

MONROE MONTGOMERY MORGAN

PIKE RANDOLPH SANGAMON

SCOTT ST. CLAIR WASHINGTON

MO

. MISSOURI COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

CRAWFORD FRANKLIN GASCONADE

IRON JEFFERSON LINCOLN

MADISON MONTGOMERY PIKE

RALLS REYNOLDS ST. CHARLES

ST. FRANCOIS ST. LOUIS STE. GENEVIEVE

WARREN WASHINGTON

MISSOURI INDEPENDENT CITIES INCLUDED ARE

ST. LOUIS CITY

ATTN...WFO...LSX...ILX...

mcd0123.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0123
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0145 PM CST THU FEB 20 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE MID-SOUTH/MID-MS VALLEY

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 201945Z - 202145Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TSTMS WILL LIKELY DEVELOP NEWD FROM AR ACROSS THE MS
VALLEY BY LATE AFTERNOON INTO THIS EVENING. A PREDOMINANT LINEAR
MODE WILL TEND TO FAVOR DAMAGING WINDS AS THE MAIN HAZARD...BUT
ENLARGED LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS SHOULD YIELD EMBEDDED SUPERCELL
STRUCTURES CAPABLE OF A FEW TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...STRONG TO LOCALLY SEVERE TSTMS HAVE INCREASED WITHIN A
PRE-FRONTAL CONFLUENCE BAND INTO S-CNTRL AR. AHEAD OF THIS
ACTIVITY...WIDESPREAD DEEP CLOUDINESS HAS LIMITED INSOLATION AND
SLOWED DESTABILIZATION. NEVERTHELESS...A PLUME OF 60-63 DEG F
SURFACE DEW POINTS HAS BEEN MAINTAINED ACROSS THE MS VALLEY. AS THE
COMPOSITE COLD FRONT/DRYLINE INTERCEPTS THIS PLUME...A DISTINCT
INCREASE IN CONVECTIVE INTENSITY APPEARS LIKELY IN THE LATE
AFTERNOON. DEEP-LAYER WIND PROFILES WILL REMAIN STRONG AND EVEN
STRENGTHEN ON THE SRN FRINGE OF AN INTENSE 500-700 MB JET ROTATING
THROUGH THE BASE OF THE N-CNTRL CONUS SHORTWAVE TROUGH. ALTHOUGH
LINEAR MODE AND ATTENDANT SEVERE WIND RISK WILL LIKELY
DOMINATE...LARGE LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS AND MODEST TEMPERATURE/DEW
POINT SPREADS WILL SUPPORT POTENTIAL FOR A FEW TORNADOES AS WELL.

..GRAMS/THOMPSON.. 02/20/2014

If the two storms SE of Quincy that are pushing into W. IL were moving into a better environment I'd probably be headed south right now.

Instead their potential will probably be limited given they're quickly approaching the cooler snow-covered areas of C. IL.

elevated pingers on deck

Archived