• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/15 Obs Thread

jm1220

Been snowing fairly moderately here in Metuchen since about 11 am and we have 1/2" of new snow on the colder surfaces, like the existing snow (duh); just starting to accumulate a little on the asphalt street in front of my house (a coating).  Temps were around 37F before the snow started and have quickly dropped to about 33F since then.  My guess is a few inches on the colder surfaces, less on paved surfaces and only minor impact on travel, except for any bouts of heavy snow, which could make for slush on even major roads, for a short time (unless we get some heavier snow after 4 pm, which will stick around, as the sun will be low in the sky and temps by then should be down below 32F and dropping into the 20s then teens tonight). 

Intensity let up to light snowfall around 12:20 pm and continues that way (even lighter now).  I'm guessing the 3/4" of new snow we got on the colder surfaces (1/4" on my asphalt driveway) is kind of a bonus, since it appears, by radar and obs, that most folks didn't get this moderate band of snow in our area, plus the heavier stuff is supposed to be this afternoon.  Middlesex County, new snow capital, lol - hey, at least the NWS added us to the advisory this morning, along with Mercer and Somerset.  33F still, but pretty sure we'll melt that 3/4" in a couple of hours if it stops snowing - just about all of the 3" I got Thursday night was melted by Friday evening, although 40F and sun will do that. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing the snow has been able to stick to here is the existing snow. It hasn't even been able to stick to car tops. It just has been too light to overcome the above freezing temps and mid February sun angle. That should change later this afternoon, but I don't think it's any more than a 1 to 2 inch event here.

Yeah, it was light snow here for a while as the precip died down I'm raining now.

...i started as snow and light snow continues..temp 35*..i was wondering if it starts as snow will it stay snow..

but you just answered my question..i'll anticipate it going over to rain soon.

Guest Tek1972

FRISBEE size snowflakes!

Lol trying to beat the PANCAKE size I saw in post the other day- so exaggerated

Light snow Shirley ny

Archived