• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Banter II

jburns

Thought this was interesting for us RDU folks...

http://www.wral.com/epic-cold-or-epic-bore-the-winter-of-2013-14/13436495/

That's a really good illustration of why words like "seems like" often precedes an inaccurate comment.

HAH...will have to think of something, probably for next winter, will be good omen for another below average winter for us while PGV, CLT and GSO have another double digit winter.

Haha! Anything NC State will work, unfortunately. In fact, I can't think of anything more similar to winters in the RDU area than being a State fan. :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS is an unmitigated disaster, unless of course you despise winter weather.

The 18z GEFS had nothing for the 3/6 event.  It did have some interesting solutions for the 3/3-4 event, a pipe dream but several of them were very NavGEM'ish, with leaving the souther energy behind and bring the SLP through after the cold front moved through.  I am guessing several Euro ENS members have this too based on the snow output on WB, not buying it but that would be interesting.

What will be fun to watch with this 3/3-4 event is what model wins, the GFS is further north and would jackpot the NE, while the Euro/CMC are further south and jackpot the MA to NYC.  The NE weenies are model hugging the heck out of the GFS which is so surprising, maybe the GFS scores a coup here.

It's dead in here! No DGEX weenie runs? Everybody must be watching pawn stars! They just had a guitar on there played by Jimmy Hendrix , and the expert came in and said it was worth750k-1,000,000 at auction. The owner of said guitar wanted 750k, the shop owner offered 600k and he wouldn't take it! That would buy alot of bo berry biscuits!

Folks,

Due to being behind on sleep, the GaWx portion of the "King Team" may not be available for pbp late tonight. In case that happens, never fear because James, the other half of the team, will probably be here. I feel very confident that he, alone, could handle that very important responsibility as he is quick and accurate. The ECMWF is very strict on whom it allows to be on its "King Team". We both had to undergo quite rigorous training to be certified.

There is some chance that I'll be up for it. The best chance is if I set my very special "King alarm clock" to wake me in time. By the way, I'm slightly depressed that DST will be here the Sunday after this one. :( :(

Folks,

Due to being behind on sleep, the GaWx portion of the "King Team" may not be available for pbp late tonight. In case that happens, never fear because James, the other half of the team, will probably be here. I feel very confident that he, alone, could handle that very important responsibility as he is quick and accurate. The ECMWF is very strict on whom it allows to be on its "King Team". We both had to undergo quite rigorous training to be certified.

There is some chance that I'll be up for it. The best chance is if I set my very special "King alarm clock" to wake me in time. By the way, I'm slightly depressed that DST will be here the Sunday after this one. :( :(

Bring home the GFS 00z before you go!?

Bring home the GFS 00z before you go!?

The 00z GFS is an unmitigated disaster.  We don't even really get cold after the 3/3 storm.  It's a shame, too, because there's a storm popping in the Gulf.  It looks like there's no interaction with the northern stream.

I will be up for the Euro, though.  Hopefully, there's good news to report.....

Just ignore the temperatures and savor this.

If you do want a positive, the 18z GFS had no storm at all, so there's that.  At least we have a storm, despite it being 50 degrees.  :yikes:

Haha, not 50 degrees.  You wish!  It's a nice cold rain for the typical CAD areas.  We don't do warm rain around here!

Look at how warm 3/4 of the conus is, kind of makes me happy.

I'm just going to imagine the high that looks to be off the east coast, will be locked in the NE when the 6th gets here! #wishcasting

Well, that's what the Euro ENS and GGEM ENS have showed, so it might happen.  If so, we'd be in business.

The GFS shows a pretty zonal look and locks the cold air up in Canada.  That won't work at all for us.  I don't a quadruple-contoured ULL could create enough cold air to do anything for us.

The GFS is a prolific rainstorm, though.  1-2" for a lot of us.  Of course, this same model showed most of us getting nothing at all on the 18z run, so it's reliability might be suspect...

Nice SLP track though, LOL

Indeed.

I think that GFS run is the fastest to eject the HP and launch us into a period hostile to winter weather of any model run yet.  At hr 168 the 12z GGEM has a 1043 mb HP in southeastern Ontario, the 00z GFS at hr 156 has nothing at all except a weak 1030 mb HP that is way out to sea.  Just a 500+ mile difference.  No big deal.

Man, that GFS run is perfect.  40/RN for basically the entire storm IMBY.  Great weather.

Okay, I just took a look on that French site.  Wow is all I have to say.  That's like 24 hours of heavy precip and a real crawler of the storm.  There's a decent HP anchored in Canada (too far north to be ideal, but at least it's not out to sea).  I need to lock that run up.  I don't care if we taint with that much precip (okay, I do, but I'll still take it). ;)

Looks like the deformation band just crushes the western Piedmont and foothills.  Looks like we're under the 55+ mm contour, which is 2.1" and there's another half-inch that falls after that, I think (not all snow, but even so...).

EDIT: Looks pretty close to changing some of us back over to snow at the end of the 3/3 storm, too.  Move the whole thing 100 miles south and we get a decent snow.  :weenie:

Archived