Newest Member
    Toothache
0z Model Discussion 02/13/14

HailMan06

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HECS? take it easy there now.

Yeah, seriously. Had to delete that post. It's a very nice run but we will really have to watch the radar tomorrow to see where the CCB ends up. The Euro trending east with it was a good sign though. It looks real for somebody and it could really dump where temps crash fast enough.

Meanwhile we have the gfs giving us 4-6".

GFS already busted horribly to the south of us. I think it will be so wrong that they should probably consider reworking the entire model. How can anyone not consider the Euro and the entire suite besides the GFS just 12-18 hours out at this point. It would be utter irresponsibility to do so.

Yeah, seriously. Had to delete that post. It's a very nice run but we will really have to watch the radar tomorrow to see where the CCB ends up. The Euro trending east with it was a good sign though. It looks real for somebody and it could really dump where temps crash fast enough.

Euro has 1.25" of precip for NYC through 1pm tomorrow and 850s and surface are still below freezing.

That's without the .69" of backend it has.

Euro verbatim is a borderline hecs. No arguing that.

Coastal front is making progress. Ambrose Light is now 35F with ENE wind. I don't think given the colder model trends tonight including short range models that it screws many outside eastern Suffolk but is interesting to see push on.Winds should also shift NE everywhere as the coastal low gets going later. All this ensures around the city is the heavy wet snow that will likely knock power out/trees down. :(

Given the last few years, I'd say not. 19" on Jan 27, 2011, 22" on Feb 25, 2010, 27" on Feb 11, 2006, etc. I'd say that's a MECS for sure, but not historic.

It's really nowcasting time.

The difference between MECS and HECS will likely be determined by the CCB - Just as it was by on Feb 11 2006. so we sit, wait & see. If we are nearing a foot in 8 hours as NAM & Euro are indicating is possible then all my chips are in.

Given the last few years, I'd say not. 19" on Jan 27, 2011, 22" on Feb 25, 2010, 27" on Feb 11, 2006, etc. I'd say that's a MECS for sure, but not historic.

It's really nowcasting time.

Those recent numbers kind of skew the data though.  For argument sake if the EURO verifies especially with the duration of the event I would say historic but at this point we are splitting hairs.  If this storm happened in the 80's or 90's it would def be considered historic we are on some roll since 03 though

Euro has 1.25" of precip for NYC through 1pm tomorrow and 850s and surface are still below freezing.

That's without the .69" of backend it has.

Euro verbatim is a borderline hecs. No arguing that.

Awesome run

And at the end of it all the EURO has it track right over the SST boundary I was talking about lol

post-4195-0-08759000-1392273249_thumb.jp

"The index differs from other meteorological indices in that it uses population information in addition to meteorological measurements. Thus NESIS gives an indication of a storm's societal impacts. This scale was developed because of the impact Northeast snowstorms can have on the rest of the country in terms of transportation and economic impact."

"NESIS scores are a function of the area affected by the snowstorm, the amount of snow, and the number of people living in the path of the storm."

this storm is not a HECS as many of you wish it to be. We need large metropolitan areas getting 20-30+ inches of snow for this to be even close to a HECS like 93 and 96. So please stop.

Archived