12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
0z Model Discussion 02/13/14

HailMan06

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So on the precip type maps and totals....NYC gets about 0.25+ rain, 1.25" snow, a tiny bit of freezing rain (more west and east even) and maybe a bit of sleet....so it's mainly a front end thump, to mainly rain then slowly back to an additional few inches at least. Hudson valley gets clobbered with mainly snow/sleet.

East sees no freezing rain. Totals are not set in stone by any stretch of the imagination right now and will vary by the hour as sampling and changes take place. There is no guarantee NYC goes all rain and no guarantee about backside CCB snows. The setup is there for it but it all comes down to where it closes off and where the CCB sets up. Take the time to READ all the posts. Yanks27, Earthlight, PB, Red etc all offer up excellent advice and info to digest.

4k Nam city loses 2 hours of the CCB to HVY mixed precip  850`s are plus 2 until Hour 29 , Then we flip . We had that in 2011 - will sleet first City east , then its bombs away

Upton thinks there are gusts to 50 with this , so expect white out conditions with this

P I'm not buying into the change to rain for any significant amount of time at all. Would you agree? I know the 900 temps and placement are nerve wracking to an extant but I have this gut feeling the push won't be there before it heads off to the NNE.

East sees no freezing rain. Totals are not set in stone by any stretch of the imagination right now and will vary by the hour as sampling and changes take place. There is no guarantee NYC goes all rain and no guarantee about backside CCB snows. The setup is there for it but it all comes down to where it closes off and where the CCB sets up. Take the time to READ all the posts. Yanks27, Earthlight, PB, Red etc all offer up excellent advice and info to digest.

Hmm...the beginning of my post stated that I was showing what the MAPS show. I have been reading the posts by the knowledgeable posters and was posting my reading of those maps because some people had requested them. They are clearly a model interpretation and will not happen as is, i think all of us know that

15z looks to be about the cutoff for the South Shore, maybe an hour or two later for Manhattan/North Shore. 90% of the precip should be done though by 15z.

Agree, changeover on the south shore should be around 10am. We should have a very good front end thump, get a little rain after that, then we get the CCB. Temps are warm at the 925mb layer for the beginning of the CCB but cool shortly after.

The RGEM has been strangely inconsistent for the past 4 runs. If the GFS is similar to the NAM, then the RGEM will most likely flop. 

If I were you, I would pay little or no attention to the GFS due to its lack of picking up on dynamics and cooling. I might use it for track

and maybe intensity, but not for QPF or temperatures. Leave that to the high-res models. IMHO

P I'm not buying into the change to rain for any significant amount of time at all. Would you agree? I know the 900 temps and placement are nerve wracking to an extant but I have this gut feeling the push won't be there before it heads off to the NNE.

Don`t think its heavy , but there`s light rain for a bit , Don't think it wrecks you`re snow cover as temps  are 33- 34 max . But we flip

then DRY slot .

how reliable is the HRRR in general?

it absolutely nailed the feb 3 event with snow totals for me. 

It was spot on during last Wednesday's storm up here (Dutchess county).  It had the changeover line and time basically dead on throughout the event.  Was pretty much spot on with snow accumulations as well.  

The 1z run looks to give the city, parts of LI, and NJ easily 10"+ (that's through 11 am and assuming no mixing of course). 

Archived