Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heating oil company told me on Friday that they needed to reschedule my Tuesday maintenance appointment due to the "big snowstorm on Monday, that would impact many of the scheduled appointments for the week".  It's odd to me that they didn't wait until Monday morning to see how the storm panned out before rescheduling appointments beyond Monday.  But I guess they heard things like "major snowstorm" from the local media and figured they had to prepare accordingly.

My heating oil company told me on Friday that they needed to reschedule my Tuesday maintenance appointment due to the "big snowstorm on Monday, that would impact many of the scheduled appointments for the week". It's odd to me that they didn't wait until Monday morning to see how the storm panned out before rescheduling appointments beyond Monday. But I guess they heard things like "major snowstorm" from the local media and figured they had to prepare accordingly.

Right, and rush to cancel all of Mondays appointments and reschedule for the rst of the week during the week. We cancelled all of Mondays appointments on Friday as well (electrical). Scheduling the week on a Monday morning is a nightmare. We might have big trucks, but the majority of them absolutely suck in the snow. So big snowstorm or small snowstorm, it's still a concern. Generally as a rule of thumb, 2" on pavement and the trucks make minimal and only emergency calls.

And it's worth repeating; it wasn't just "local media" who was throwing out large numbers last week/the past couple of days.

Right, and rush to cancel all of Mondays appointments and reschedule for the rst of the week during the week. We cancelled all of Mondays appointments on Friday as well (electrical). Scheduling the week on a Monday morning is a nightmare. We might have big trucks, but the majority of them absolutely suck in the snow. So big snowstorm or small snowstorm, it's still a concern. Generally as a rule of thumb, 2" on pavement and the trucks make minimal and only emergency calls.

And it's worth repeating; it wasn't just "local media" who was throwing out large numbers last week/the past couple of days.

Looks like I hit a nerve with you, which I wasn't trying to.

I thought it was odd of them to cancel my Tuesday appointment.  Clearly, I would have more than understood them cancelling a Monday appointment - as they aren't open on weekends.  Plus, I had already arranged with my workplace to work from home on Tuesday because of this appointment.  I'll call them tomorrow to see whether I can be put back on the Tuesday schedule  (first chance I will get to talk to them, since the cancellation was done via voicemail and I didn't get to the message until after they had closed for the day on Friday).

And I understand it wasn't just "local media" hyping this storm.

Looks like I hit a nerve with you, which I wasn't trying to.

I thought it was odd of them to cancel my Tuesday appointment. Clearly, I would have more than understood them cancelling a Monday appointment - as they aren't open on weekends. Plus, I had already arranged with my workplace to work from home on Tuesday because of this appointment. I'll call them tomorrow to see whether I can be put back on the Tuesday schedule (first chance I will get to talk to them, since the cancellation was done via voicemail and I didn't get to the message until after they had closed for the day on Friday).

And I understand it wasn't just "local media" hyping this storm.

No nerve hit at all. With the cold, I imagine they can't just bump Monday customers out a week. And a lot of the companies do more than just simply deliver oil (obviously as you know). So 1 lost day throws everything off schedule, it's not like you just lose that day and fill in at the next available open day next month. There is a lot of scrambling going on with not only fulfilling necessary appointments, but also figuring out customer availability.

As far as hyping the storm, hype isnt needed when literally every source available is stating a significant to major snowstorm. The storm is still happening, just farther south than nearly all of the models had shown.

Why does everybody feel the need to have to say, 'busted'?? OK we get it the storm didn't pan out the way we all hoped it would. But do you think the NWS really needs to see posts like that?? Just report your obs and move on. Let them deal with it. You don't have to make it a point every time to say they busted. Geez. Ok I'm done ranting.

Why does everybody feel the need to have to say, 'busted'?? OK we get it the storm didn't pan out the way we all hoped it would. But do you think the NWS really needs to see posts like that?? Just report your obs and move on. Let them deal with it. You don't have to make it a point every time to say they busted. Geez. Ok I'm done ranting.

Never said THEY nor would I EVER blame THEM. I was talking about MY forecast. Sorry for being unclear.

thank you

I mentioned bust in a post earlier, but it wasn't directed at the NWS.   I would think we would all agree that noone foresaw the

outcome of this storm until we were within 24 hours of the start time.   I used the term bust in a general sense in that the results

failed to match the expectations from many outlets, including myself.

This is an interesting debate I see going on in other forums -- was this storm a "bust"? Personally, I say no.

The southern trend began around 12Z on Friday and never really relented. By yesterday morning, anyone north of the M/D line should have been wary of significant accumulations -- it's not like we didn't see this as a possible outcome. Yes, I'm aware of what the forecasts were yesterday and I think Tony did I nice job in the other thread explaining the rationale behind some of the thinking.

But to me, a "bust" is the Miller B that's supposed to form 50 miles off the VA capes and give us significant accumulations and you wake up the next morning and the storm formed 150 miles off AC and were left with nothing but cirrus.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. What's everyone else's thoughts? Was this event a bust or not?

I started to posted this in the storm obs thread, but this is more of a general discussion topic so I am putting it here.

If it wasn't so important, it would be comical how and how often local school districts and governments tend to screw up weather closings.  Back in January, my old hometown (Cherry Hill) insisted on opening as an eventual 10+" storm was commencing.  Then, they kept the kids most of the day as the snow piled up and conditions went from bad to worse to horrendous... it was almost as if they were too stubborn to admit they'd screwed up so they acted as if nothing was happening.  Today, they did the exact opposite:  They cancelled even in the face of several days worth of trends toward this being a minimal event, and, now, a bunch of kids are sitting at home with barely enough new snow to make a snowball with.   

Just to be clear, I am all for being conservative when it comes to the safety of kids so I don't object to the occasional cancellation on a day like today where the weather ends up not reaching its potential.  I would much, much rather see that than what happened back in January when kids are sitting a school while snowfall totals are approaching a foot.  Let's face it, as adults, we can barely get work done when it is snowing so you know darn well, if it is snowing, most kids are too busy staring out the window to learn anything anway so it is not like a cancellation or early dismissal is going to disrupt their learning.  

The problem is that too many districts make their decisions based on the previous event rather than the current one.  If they got grief for not closing during the last event, then the next event they are ultra conservative and close at even the threat of snow.  On the other hand, if they got grief the last time for closing when there ended not being much snow, they open school under almost any conditions the next time.  Eventually, there will be a tragedy if these people don't manage to figure out such a simple thing. 

March 2001 now has a cousin

This was a bit more like March 1-2, 1980 in that the best snows were south - although the 1980 storm hit areas even further south (NC and southern/eastern VA) than this storm with quite a bit of snow.  Still, that one was forecast to affect the PHL area with up to a foot of snow as close in as 24 hours prior to the event...we got an inch.

A word about internet snow hype-casting sites....

When you follow internet snow hypecasting sites you see out of context computer model maps that make you think its a lock for two feet of snow more than 5 days away.

When you think its a lock for two feet of snow more than 5 days away you panic

When you panic you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy east european web site and cancel your date with the woman of your dreams.

When you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy web site and cancel a date with the woman of your dreams, your identity gets stolen by Russian mobsters who assign you a new identity as "Olaf" from Lithuainia and date a woman NOT of your dreams (See picture...she makes the rock salt look good)

And when your identity is changed and you date the woman not of your dreams you get deported to Lithuainia and live with a troll woman.

Don't get deported to Lithuainia to live with a troll woman....stop following internet snow hypecasting sites.

(Feel free to share this....spread the word, unlike, unfollow, and don't share the absurd!!)

post-706-0-27168200-1393880740_thumb.jpe

post-706-0-44620600-1393880757_thumb.png

This was a bit more like March 1-2, 1980 in that the best snows were south - although the 1980 storm hit areas even further south (NC and southern/eastern VA) than this storm with quite a bit of snow.  Still, that one was forecast to affect the PHL area with up to a foot of snow as close in as 24 hours prior to the event...we got an inch.

Somebody threw out a March 1980 analog a week or two ago & I immediately cringed...

In any event Nat'l Park still managed 3.4", DCA ended at 3.8" so no matter what they seem to get the best of both worlds. Growing up in Lower Bucks during the late 70's - to late 80's you could count on one hand the # of times PHL recorded more snow during individual events but ever since the move from PHL to Nat'l Park it's been Nat'l Park in a unanimous decision, for the most part I feel like the horse trailing Secretariat down the backstretch of the 1973 Belmont.

When you follow internet snow hypecasting sites you see out of context computer model maps that make you think its a lock for two feet of snow more than 5 days away.

When you panic you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy east european web site and cancel your date with the woman of your dreams.

When you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy web site and cancel a date with the woman of your dreams, your identity gets stolen by Russian mobsters who assign you a new identity as "Olaf" from Lithuainia and date a woman NOT of your dreams (See picture...she makes the rock salt look good)

And when your identity is changed and you date the woman not of your dreams you get deported to Lithuainia and live with a troll woman.

Don't get deported to Lithuainia to live with a troll woman....stop following internet snow hypecasting sites.

(Feel free to share this....spread the word, unlike, unfollow, and don't share the absurd!!)

So don't listen to, benefit from or promote long range model output? Where have I heard this?

A pretty good shot at a record low tomorrow AM here in NW Chesco...the current record is 4 degrees set in 1978....we are currently at 11.1 - not too far from the record low for today which is 5 degrees from 1950

Paul, I have to let you know that it's currently 9F here, which is pretty impressive, and how can it be colder here than where you are? I think my thermometer is working okay.

Last week our best chance here was thwarted by a light SW wind later at night. Not expecting that tonight and it should stay clear, so it will be interesting to see how low we can go.

:lmao:

Archived