• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

A word about internet snow hype-casting sites....

When you follow internet snow hypecasting sites you see out of context computer model maps that make you think its a lock for two feet of snow more than 5 days away.

When you think its a lock for two feet of snow more than 5 days away you panic

When you panic you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy east european web site and cancel your date with the woman of your dreams.

When you buy a pallet of rock salt from a sketchy web site and cancel a date with the woman of your dreams, your identity gets stolen by Russian mobsters who assign you a new identity as "Olaf" from Lithuainia and date a woman NOT of your dreams (See picture...she makes the rock salt look good)

And when your identity is changed and you date the woman not of your dreams you get deported to Lithuainia and live with a troll woman.

Don't get deported to Lithuainia to live with a troll woman....stop following internet snow hypecasting sites.

(Feel free to share this....spread the word, unlike, unfollow, and don't share the absurd!!)

I can see you put some work into this - good job, lol.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody threw out a March 1980 analog a week or two ago & I immediately cringed...

In any event Nat'l Park still managed 3.4", DCA ended at 3.8" so no matter what they seem to get the best of both worlds. Growing up in Lower Bucks during the late 70's - to late 80's you could count on one hand the # of times PHL recorded more snow during individual events but ever since the move from PHL to Nat'l Park it's been Nat'l Park in a unanimous decision, for the most part I feel like the horse trailing Secretariat down the backstretch of the 1973 Belmont.

"He's running like a tremendous machine!!"

Sorry.  lol.  This is the banter thread and that race and the call of that race are one of my all time favorite (non-Philadelphia) sporting events.  It was like Secratariat was a different species from the other horses in the race.  In the annals of sports, we probably never have seen.... and never will... one person/animal/team dominate another like that..... and, yeah, for much of New Jersey life, I DID feel like the other horse in that race when comparing my snow totals to northern and western burbs.     

It's -1 at MIV at the 10 PM Obs. How low can we go...

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I've always wondered about the thermometer at MIV.  For years, I was convinced that it read few degrees cold.  However, the more I look at it, the more it seems to be dead on.  It is just in a great location for radiational cooling so on clear nights with light winds (and especially with snowcover), temperatures just plummet there.  When it is cloudy and/or there is precipitation, the temperatures there seem to be right in line with the rest of the region (i.e. it is a bit warmer than PHL and a bit cooler than shore points). 

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I've always wondered about the thermometer at MIV. For years, I was convinced that it read few degrees cold. However, the more I look at it, the more it seems to be dead on. It is just in a great location for radiational cooling so on clear nights with light winds (and especially with snowcover), temperatures just plummet there. When it is cloudy and/or there is precipitation, the temperatures there seem to be right in line with the rest of the region (i.e. it is a bit warmer than PHL and a bit cooler than shore points).

Pine barrens will do it every time.

Thank you oops thank you for gracing the phl forum with your presence. it has been duly noted here in our forum, especially the vendor forum.  who needs the nyc forum when katodog hit's us up.

thank you. i like all forums but i am in new york and like this better.

thank you

35 and pretty sunny, feels good to go out for a smoke without a coat considering yesterday I was dressed in layers!

Guess I'll hang around for the last long range of Mar 12-13.  Not my favorite month for storms, as good as some have been in the past, they don't "stick" around very long.  Believe it or not, I am ready for a warmer pattern to take shape.

Should northern areas of the CWA be concerned for some possible flooding issues from the mid week storm? Still have a snow pack in place, and HPC qpf outlook looks like .75-1.00" liquid possible from roughly Lehigh Valley on north. According to forecasts, much of that is falling as rain (at least south of the Poconos). I wouldn't expect major river flooding issues, but perhaps some small streams and other urban flooding issues? Flash flood guidance for Berks county, Lehigh Valley, and Warren county NJ is in the 1.4"-1.8" range for rainfall needed for flooding in a 6 hour period.

Archived