joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECM ensembles lock step in line with the OP. 

I see that the vort responsible for this storm is currently crashing into the pacific northwest. I am guessing full sampling not incorporated untill 0z or 12z tomorrow?

*** not even sure if that vort is associated with this storm or is the kicker hard to keep track, accuweather mentioned this

Well, for one, what happens aloft has NOTHING to do with the surface snow-pack, temp wise. 

There was a 1996 event I'll never forget:  Jim Cantore spent the morning saying that the high snow pack in the wake of the Blizzard of 96 would prevent a changeover in Philly.  Philly ended up changing to rain after just a couple inches.  The heavy snow was near Harrisburg.

LOL.  I remember Cantore saying that too.  It was later that same week as the blizzard (maybe the first Thursday or Friday after the storm).... and I totally bought into what Cantore was peddling.  It was darn depressing how quickly we changed over, too.  Point being, of course, if Mother Nature decides "no snow for you!", then, you ain't getting snow no matter how deep the snowpack is.       

While my technical knowledge is limited, based on observation and the general (apparent) consensus that the Euro handles southern stream systems better, along with it's relative consistency so far with this potential storm, I'm inclined to take the GFS with a grain of salt for the time being. 

An 18z NAM like solution verifying would be awesome, but right now the Euro has the best handle on this event, imo.

I'd love to see the track move a bit (more) offshore at and north of OBX, because my biggest concern (for those near or east of 95) is warm air/rain, and as we get closer the track may tend to tick NW/West anyway. Therefore I'd like to see it a little farther east than what the Euro shows right now. I don't think we're going to get "grazed" by this one either way. That's my 2 cents (for now) :weenie:

Yea the 0z is a less.... but was 2" of liquid moisture shown on the 18z NAM (for KPHL) really a high possibility? No need to really nit-pick this heavily from run to run, but wow the GFS and EURO runs tonight will be very telling. There's a lot of features going on so (last minute) shifts in either direction between now and tomorrow are quite likely.

Yea the 0z is a less.... but was 2" of liquid moisture shown on the 18z NAM (for KPHL) really a high possibility? No need to really nit-pick this heavily from run to run, but wow the GFS and EURO runs tonight will be very telling. There's a lot of features going on so (last minute) shifts in either direction between now and tomorrow are quite likely.

True. If they both back off, I'll get a little concerned but still two days till the event.

Which is still a nice thump plus the snow we have already. Snow on top of snow on top of snow...reminds me of the late 70's when winter was "winter" and you rarely seen grass.

Also of interest is kicker following along behind big storm like a little sun stuck in the gravity of a super giant and keeps it snowing on friday. Then the clipper 24 hours later. Days and days of snow

Archived