• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

I still am shocked that schools in Pennsylvania are opening late. They should all be closed. .25-.50 of ice up there and I just think school districts are making a big mistake if we receive more than .10 inches of ice.

.25-.50 inches of ice is certainly nothing to mess with. I'm surprised people getting that much ice don't have an ice storm warning. Our portion of NJ should have a freezing rain advisory coming up soon, I dunno about the people getting the most ice. The thing though for our area is that even when we might get at most a quarter of an inch, the rain will make it go from ice to slush to water. It's going to be a slushy mess for when ( assuming were going to school ) people are on the buses. I'm the only person who walks to school though because I'm pretty much the schools "neighbor".

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing is though school districts have to make a decision by 5-6 am at least where I live. >.10 Is closed in my opinion.

Rain at 5-6 the 2 hour delay stands. Ice accrual would more than likely mean off. It's the best decision that they can make given the uncertainty of the storm.

The staff does not want to navigate the ice either.

Rain at 5-6 the 2 hour delay stands. Ice accrual would more than likely mean off. It's the best decision that they can make given the uncertainty of the storm.

So if it is still icing at 5-6 am schools will close? if it is raining 2 hour delay? I don't see a regular day occuring at all in this case.

I just don't see the frozen precipitation budging as fast as many are showing. I think the cold air will be more stubborn to leave everywhere besides the coast. The coast this is a rain storm. Everywhere else... LOOK OUT!

Surprised your forecast says changing to rain by 3:00 AM. I'm southeast of you and it shows freezing rain ending by 8:00 AM. Weird.

So if it is still icing at 5-6 am schools will close? if it is raining 2 hour delay? I don't see a regular day occuring at all in this case.

If it's still icy, then possibly. If the radar shows the freezing rain ending very soon, before school opens and it seems like the ice would melt, then school is open. It's a very hard decision though for schools so I bet we'll see a two hour delay in this situation.

I just don't see the frozen precipitation budging as fast as many are showing. I think the cold air will be more stubborn to leave everywhere besides the coast. The coast this is a rain storm. Everywhere else... LOOK OUT!

But, even if the temp is 31/32, if the rain is heavy (which it appears it will be) ice will stop accruing. And the salt on the roads will do the trick

Surprised your forecast says changing to rain by 3:00 AM. I'm southeast of you and it shows freezing rain ending by 8:00 AM. Weird.

If it's still icy, then possibly. If the radar shows the freezing rain ending very soon, before school opens and it seems like the ice would melt, then school is open. It's a very hard decision though for schools so I bet we'll see a two hour delay in this situation.

Tabernacle??? It won't be freezing rain there up to 8am.

Shouldn't be too bad down around here I'm hoping. Temps aloft are just soo warm that precip(especially heavy precip) has got to pull some of that warmer air down. I don't think we see much more than a couple hours of icing on elevated surfaces at the start transitioning to plain rain well before morning rush here in the immediate Philly vicinity

28f, not cold feeling and hopefully heading toward a bust re ice accretion. A lot of trees still snow covered and hanging low in these thick woods driving home tonight. A degree or two could save us from devastation

Saw 6abc this evening with a graphic that had you in the ice bulls-eye .50" I believe :(

I really don't think computers can accurately predict amount of ice build up..too many factors to be considered, many of which aren't built in to the models.

My thinking is they only give a general snapshot...

Archived