• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
How many slam dunk events have you had?

BullCityWx

We're talking about winter events that were tracked from 5-6 days out that only trended wetter or stronger or colder(or all 3). Having a storm as such is a true luxury with this hobby. It's almost like having your "chasing" on cruise control. You don't have to worry as much about model runs or which model shows what.

I can only remember threesince I've been posting. February 2004, March 2009 and January 2011.

We're talking about winter events that were tracked from 5-6 days out that only trended wetter or stronger or colder(or all 3). Having a storm as such is a true luxury with this hobby. It's almost like having your "chasing" on cruise control. You don't have to worry as much about model runs or which model shows what.

I can only remember threesince I've been posting. February 2004, March 2009 and January 2011.

I think for the mountains/foothills the Dec 18-19th  2009 Snowstorm was called out about from about 5 days and gradually got stronger. I still vividly remember reading the GSP discussion on Thursday afternoon and they upped the totals to 12-16 with localized 20.

Also agreed with the others posted especially in the early 2000's.

I can only remember three since I've been posting. February 2004, March 2009 and January 2011.

The one that probably stands out to me would be the Dec 2002 ice storm.  You knew the precip was going to be plentiful, and that the cold was going nowhere, albeit shallow in nature.

Jan 1988 was well forecasted here.  It looked good days in advance, and held on to go time.

I recall Feb 2004 looking great, but was concerned about temperatures until the day before.  I had concerns about both Mar 2009 and Jan 2011 - both ended up being good, but not great here.

January 2011 is the only one in these parts. 

March 2009 I had to worry about the leeside heat pocket that wound up screwing me. Only got 2.75 inches

Feb 2010 we had to worry about moisture. I wound up getting enough to produce 3.1 inches. Which was literally like the lowest total in the state of South Carolina for that storm.

The only other slam dunk  I can remember was the winter of 03/04.  We had a strong Cad event that produced about 2 inches of sleet/freezing rain here. The temp dropped to 23 degree's during the heart of the event.  Of course, I was worried about getting some snow accumulation which didn't materialize for that storm.

Archived