• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2000 snow storm

pack8398

Long time lurker but first time poster....for those that were around for the snow storm at RDU back in 2000, what were the models showing in the days leading up to that storm. I remember being within 12 hours of the onset and all of the local meterologists were still calling for roughly 2-4 inches. By 10:00 that night it had changed to 6-8 and by the next morning it was 20+. Did the models just miss it?

When I went to bed that night (I was young), we were supposed to get 2-4". When I woke up at 8:54 AM, I was shocked that school was cancelled and saw about a foot of snow sitting out on the front lawn.

Wait.  Forget the snowstorm.  Here's what I want to know: James, how the heck do you remember exactly what time you woke up on a January day in the year 2000 when you were admittedly quite young?  Down to the very minute, no less?  14 years later?  Seriously?  I mean, I don't even know what time I woke up this morning, much less yesterday, or last week, or last month, or last year, or FOURTEEN years ago?  :P

Wait. Forget the snowstorm. Here's what I want to know: James, how the heck do you remember exactly what time you woke up on a January day in the year 2000 when you were admittedly quite young? Down to the very minute, no less? 14 years later? Seriously? I mean, I don't even know what time I woke up this morning, much less yesterday, or last week, or last month, or last year, or FOURTEEN years ago? :P

8:54 sticks out in my mind for some reason because I was surprised I didn't have to get up for school. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I think that's when my love of weather really began. I was 8 1/2 then. I did a lot of sledding over the next week.

Long time lurker but first time poster....for those that were around for the snow storm at RDU back in 2000, what were the models showing in the days leading up to that storm. I remember being within 12 hours of the onset and all of the local meterologists were still calling for roughly 2-4 inches. By 10:00 that night it had changed to 6-8 and by the next morning it was 20+. Did the models just miss it?

This page has analysis of the model errors associated with this storm -  http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/research/blizz2000/

I conceived my first child that week. That October the labor and delivery wing of Rex was so crowded they moved laboring moms to other areas of the hospital.  Every mom that delivered that October got an ornament of a baby holding a sign "Snow Baby".

I think that quote just moved you beyond the habitual lurker stage...  ;)

Welcome to the board!

I just read the report and I see that it did not have totals in the Conetoe area that high.  Must have been a great band roll through.  I specifically remember going out on the deck in the morning and measuring the snowfall on the table,

Funny thing was I think it warmed up really fast and it melted a lot of the snow really fast.

I think that quote just moved you beyond the habitual lurker stage...  ;)

Welcome to the board!

I've been here over 3 years and this is my 7th post...so I'm pretty much still a lurker. :whistle: 

I really have nothing to offer, just am interested in weather, always have been.

And Brick is entertaining.  Love it.

Thank you though!

I remember watching Greg Fishel  as the storm dawned upon him during the 6pm news that night. The rain was just changing to snow and the radar was showing this beautiful precip shield rolling in from the southeast. His quote was something like "Folks, we're going to get creamed".  I stayed up most of the night watching it explode  - it was the most glorious thing. A winter near hurricane.  Hoping that was not a once in a lifetime experience for us in Raleigh.  

I've been here over 3 years and this is my 7th post...so I'm pretty much still a lurker. :whistle:

I really have nothing to offer, just am interested in weather, always have been.

And Brick is entertaining.  Love it.

Thank you though!

Well, feel free to continue lurking and observing.  Toss out an occasional question or two.  Report an observation.  That's the easiest way to start getting more involved, should you desire to do so.

Best of luck for snowfall this week!  I think you've got a much better chance of seeing something than do I.

I remember watching Greg Fishel  as the storm dawned upon him during the 6pm news that night. The rain was just changing to snow and the radar was showing this beautiful precip shield rolling in from the southeast. His quote was something like "Folks, we're going to get creamed".  I stayed up most of the night watching it explode  - it was the most glorious thing. A winter near hurricane.  Hoping that was not a once in a lifetime experience for us in Raleigh.  

I swear the snow was falling in sheets, not flakes, but chains and sheets.  At first Fishel was downplaying it as I recall but by 11 he was going nuts.

Archived